0.9.9 Patch Notes

Interesting new features... A cooldown system is very important with those spells.
How many hours until patch will be added? sorry, i suck with all the time zones :)
The wait is killing me.
Keyblades!
"
iiss wrote:
How many hours until patch will be added? sorry, i suck with all the time zones :)

I haven't seen a time put on it yet, just during the work day in NZ today. Which started at 3pm Central Standard (About an hour and a half ago was 8am NZ time). So by what they said within the next 7~ hours it should be implemented.
IGN: Stripper_Steve

Last edited by chamillion on May 8, 2012, 5:28:00 PM
"
gh0un wrote:
"
So you are upset that it is hard to win the lottery? Maybe adjust your expectations and you will not be so disappointed.

Arpgs are mostly competitive games.
You dont want too much of a lottery aspect in a competitive game, period.

If a player puts in 10 times the amount of time than another player, then i expect that player to have better loot than the player that played less.

This is not the case with the current system, nowhere close.
You could put in 1000 times the amount of time, and still get worse stuff than a lucky joe that crafts incredible stuff on his first try.

A lottery implicates that you dont win by participating more often than others, because the chances are so low that it actually doesnt matter how many times you play, unless you play a million times and more.

A lottery is always won by a lucky joe that didnt actually expect to win the lottery, and just participated in the lottery once.

The same applies to path of exile.
Since you cant put in a million times more effort than other players, you have absolutely no guarantee that you get anything out of your time.

Thats not a good mechanic.
Lotteries as the ONLY real way of getting better stuff, IS NOT a good mechanic.

Finding these rare orbs is already quite hard because they have such low drop rates.
Thats not all though, their effects are luck based aswell.
If you connect two luck based mechanics in series, you get such low probabilites on actually creating useful stuff, that you might aswell not try at all, just like in the lottery.

If you dont believe in this concept, then you should probably play the lottery.

In diablo2, the rarest stuff, like runes and uniques, were hard to get, but once it dropped, you had it in your hands, their effects arent luck based.
In current path of exile, the rarest stuff is hard to get and on top of that, will most probably create bullshit.

Neither sounds like a fun system, nor does it sound like a system that encourages good play.

I get your point, but don't agree. Your D2 reference is way off base as well. Obtaining godly items in D2 was a complete lottery as well. There was no alternative to getting a 2/20 ammy outside of crafting a billion ammys and getting lucky just as there was no way of getting a 10fcr/25str/50life ring without crafting infinite rings and getting lucky. Finding a hr before patch 1.13 (the patch that ruined the game) was exactly like hitting the lottery, damn near impossible. I found one hr in 9-10 years of D2 pre 1.13. Was this bad for the games longevity? Nope, its why I kept playing....
"
Using a regal / exalt never makes an item worse.

It actually does make an item worse.
If you have an item that has 3 good mods on it and then use exalteds on it and add 3 shitty mods, thats alright the first time, since you still have the other 3 good mods.

Now you use this item as your equipment.
If you want to get your hands on better gear, you will first have to get your hands on the same piece of gear, and then try to roll 3 good comparable mods on it first.

After several weeks of playing, you finally manage to get another 3 good mod item.
If you use 3 exalteds now, and you add another 3 shitty mods, then the item goes from a "promising raw material" to an absolutely useless piece of garbage that you can throw away.

While you probably could have sold the raw material for a high price (since it still has the possibility of getting 3 additional useful mods), you cant sell the product for a fraction of that, since that possibility is gone.
Last edited by gh0un on May 8, 2012, 5:29:37 PM
"
gh0un wrote:
"
So you are upset that it is hard to win the lottery? Maybe adjust your expectations and you will not be so disappointed.

Arpgs are mostly competitive games.
You dont want too much of a lottery aspect in a competitive game, period.

If a player puts in 10 times the amount of time than another player, then i expect that player to have better loot than the player that played less.

This is not the case with the current system, nowhere close.
You could put in 1000 times the amount of time, and still get worse stuff than a lucky joe that crafts incredible stuff on his first try.

A lottery implicates that you dont win by participating more often than others, because the chances are so low that it actually doesnt matter how many times you play, unless you play a million times and more.

A lottery is always won by a lucky joe that didnt actually expect to win the lottery, and just participated in the lottery once.

The same applies to path of exile.
Since you cant put in a million times more effort than other players, you have absolutely no guarantee that you get anything out of your time.

Thats not a good mechanic.
Lotteries as the ONLY real way of getting better stuff, IS NOT a good mechanic.

Finding these rare orbs is already quite hard because they have such low drop rates.
Thats not all though, their effects are luck based aswell.
If you connect two luck based mechanics in series, you get such low probabilites on actually creating useful stuff, that you might aswell not try at all, just like in the lottery.

If you dont believe in this concept, then you should probably play the lottery.

In diablo2, the rarest stuff, like runes and uniques, were hard to get, but once it dropped, you had it in your hands, their effects arent luck based.
In current path of exile, the rarest stuff is hard to get and on top of that, will most probably create bullshit.

Neither sounds like a fun system, nor does it sound like a system that encourages good play.

Blizzard makes a game just for you and it's almost at release.
2h 30min left?
BlackKeysus - 73 Witch ( Legacy )
BlackHammer - 56 Marauder ( Legacy )

CtrlAltDelete - 15 ( HC) R.I.P xD

Greetings from Switzerland
"

Blizzard makes a game just for you and it's almost at release.

No they dont.
Diablo 3 is not a competitive game.
Its a casualized piece of crap that lost track of what is important in a good game, because activision is greedy for money.
Last edited by gh0un on May 8, 2012, 5:31:03 PM
I think there should be a very very slow, but progressive, way to move towards better items.

Examples might be selling 500 fusings for an orb that adds +1 link - it's a monster grind, but it means you can go for a "safe option" that allows you to feel like you are actually making progress to a goal.

Otherwise you just end up burning through 300 fusings, not getting 5 links and feeling worse off than you were before you used your items!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info