Weapon Rationale

Simple solution, friends: don't cleave with rapiers/foils. I don't. You can't in real life, so you can't in my version of Wraelcast.

Does this restrict my AoE ability with a rapier? heck yes. It KILLS it. But I've built rapier-wielders with sufficient IAS to more than make up for it. Flicker strike was made with rapiers in mind, I think. Teleporting around with a big ole zweihander is all well and good, but read the actual skill description. Heck, I'd LIMIT Flicker Strike to smaller, quicker weapons personally.

For me, early game rapier is all about puncture and viper strike. Puncture with any weapon BUT a rapier looks silly to me. Dual strike rapier looks bloody silly too. I was hoping for two quick stabs, but nope -- two crazy wild swings that no sane soul would do with a thrusting sword, ever.

...There are other weapon rationale issues in the game (dual strike with fist weapons looks almost as dumb), but I've been holding out for the Shadow to see what he brings to the table skill-wise.

...Perhaps I'm too used to things in games striking me as silly so I just don't do them, even if they may be statistically superior. Sometimes the cost of realism is the effectiveness of one's character. Can't always have your way (as proven by this and so many other posts), but you can always have it your way.

edit: I LOVE the base attack animation of the thrusting swords. One of the best aesthetic innovations of this game to date. Which is why I made one, even though 'whalebone rapier', at the time, was inferior in every single way to 'saber'.
Predecessor! Paragon is BACK.
Finished Dragons Dogma 2 at 327 hours, 9 playthroughs. Loved every minute.
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on May 7, 2012, 3:31:59 PM
There is no "hate" in my response. Just pointing out the flaw in your argument. But the physically-illogical aspect is a side point (although in my opinion a valid one.)

Primarily I'm more curious about the existence of this (sub)category when its not even used at what seems to be logical places.

Like the Puncture Skill for example. That seems like it would have been the ideal situation but it allows ALL one-handed swords.
"
Dual strike rapier looks bloody silly too. I was hoping for two quick stabs, but nope -- two crazy wild swings that no sane soul would do with a thrusting sword, ever.

I was going to mention this but I didn't want to get too far off of topic. But since you brought it up, THIS.
Fireballs aren't realistic either nerf fireballs!
"
incendium wrote:
Fireballs aren't realistic either nerf fireballs!

Sure they are, in a world where fireballs are accepted as possible. Other than stuff like Greek fire and early alchemical experiments, there's no Real World equivalent to the magical fireball. Thus you have a lot more room to move under the definition 'fireball' in any 'fantasy' context.

Unless stipulated otherwise, a rapier or a foil of Wraeclast is just the same as a rapier or foil of our world.
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.
To be fair though, you can't cleave with any type of weapon at all, unless you kill every subsequent enemy you hit in the same blow.

/Captain nitpick signing off.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
Last edited by Tagek on May 7, 2012, 5:28:01 PM
"
Troya9202 wrote:
Fuck it, are they waiting for Christmas to release this s*it?

You should probably stop posting that in multiple threads before you get banned.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.

"
Tagek wrote:
To be fair though, you can't cleave with any type of weapon at all, unless you kill every subsequent enemy you hit in the same blow.

/Captain nitpick signing off.

I still giggle at the 3rd Ed D and D feat 'Great Cleave' and what Order of the Stick did with it. :)
I did not see that unfortunately ^^
I tried google but it failed me.

What I do know is that great cleave was awesome in Neverwinter Nights 1!

"
Tagek wrote:
I did not see that unfortunately ^^
I tried google but it failed me.

What I do know is that great cleave was awesome in Neverwinter Nights 1!

Warning: EXTREMELY addictive and awesome webcomic ahead...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0102.html

and yes, GC in NwN1 was godly. Especially in the Lord of Terror mod.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info