I died because the game crashed while loading an area (In hardcore btw)

So I just logged in today and found out my ranger was in default. This was news to me as I haven't died at all to my knowledge. I never got a 'out of my league' error. I was playing with someone else the whole time yesterday and never died. There's really no time that I could have died.

After posting the above I remembered the last thing I did. I just finished normal, and as the game loaded twilight shore I got the dreaded out of memory. Besides that is that I had not even loaded the area, and was not connected but somehow the game must have mananged to have me die to a drowned when the time you must be disconnected to be auto-logged-out is shorter than the invincibility time.

Related thread of someone elses:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/30446
Last edited by Umbraal on May 4, 2012, 5:42:48 PM
This is a known issue. While your client may or may not display the area, you enter the area on the server. While your client crashed, you continued to exist in your instance on the server for a few seconds, enough to get killed by some drowneds I suppose.

The known issue list suggests:
"
Rory wrote:
If you're frequently getting a "E_OUTOFMEMORY" error when changing areas, you can put -gc 2 at the end of your Path of Exile shortcut (Open the shortcut properties, and add a { -gc 2} after the last quotation mark). If this still doesn't help, try -gc 1. Doing this will increase load times between areas you have visited, and similar areas.
Don't read my signature!
The bug wasn't the out of memory. I stated that in there. The bug was that the invincibility when you enter an area is longer than the log-out time if you're dced. By the game crashing I was dced and not in the area. I didn't get logged out at all and it would take any drowned at least 15 seconds to reach me because of how slow they moved and then significantly longer to kill me.

The bug is that the automatic log out failed to trigger.

(Additionally it's not frequently this is the second time I've gotten in since I've started playing PoE)
Last edited by Umbraal on May 5, 2012, 1:22:32 PM
"
Umbraal wrote:
The bug was that the invincibility when you enter an area is longer than the log-out time if you're dced. By the game crashing I was dced and not in the area. I didn't get logged out at all and it would take any drowned at least 15 seconds to reach me because of how slow they moved and then significantly longer to kill me.

The bug is that the automatic log out failed to trigger.

When you enter a new area there is actually a 40 second delay before the automatic logout timer kicks in. This is because some lower end computers struggle when loading new areas, and they were being disconnected whenever they tried to change areas. Once we have fixed that problem we will be able to reduce or remove the initial delay.

We may also look at adding a client side option to disable the delay, so that people who don't suffer from the disconnects on changing area can benefit from the automatic logout timer sooner.

Thanks for the report, and sorry for your loss.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info