WHY NOT 2H SWORD FOR LEAPSLAM?? READ FOR DETAIL

2H sword generally have higher physical damage and attack speed... As a leap slam mara i don't see why people don't use it, and i don't know why i'm not... but there must be some drawback since people prefer 2h maces and occsionally 2h axes...?

care to explain?
Onslaught ign: chenplayingforstars
Default League ign: imQTchen
-------------------------------------
If I won an auction and/or you have questions for me please
contact me through the ign above (whisp/add friend) or send pm via forum
Last edited by QTchen on Mar 30, 2013, 6:32:29 AM
Leap Slam doesn't affected by base weapon attack speed, only by attack speed suffix.
what ^ said, but that's not all :) I'd say it's mainly cause of the difference between sword/mace/axe passives. You figure it out :) Oh and implicit properties on weapons as well. Plus skill restrictions regarding weapon types. That should be enough I think.
IGN Asdfninja
There's this weapon called Marohi. It has the highest attack damage in the game. Any AOE gem in it, such as Leap Slam, gets a free lvl 15 Increased AOE support. This makes anything in a 6L Marohi into an effectively 7L skill. This weapon is strong enough that a player can start spamming Leap Slam as a 1v1 skill instead of reserving it for AOEs. This opens up the chest slot for the user to use some ridiculous unique or armor, such as Kaom's Heart or that new Dex piece that boosts AOE size and damage.

This weapon is a Mace.

Now, take a quick look around the Marauder area of the tree. Look up into the templar area and down near duelist real fast. Notice that there are 3 keystones all within 3 skill points of main paths you'd take to get blood magic, resolute technique, and catalyse. Also notice how none of those paths have wasted stats on those same nodes.

Compare this to the Sword's 4 which, while around the same areas, all require 3+ to get. Also note how the paths to get to those keystones involve investing in nodes that offer useless stats, such as crit chance, crit multiplier, and accuracy. All irrelevant to a Resolute Tech user.

Basically, you're sinking in around 7~ more points for inferior damage and wasted stats that you'll never use if you go by common Leap Slam build paths.

Also, with how the armor formula works, a single hard-hitting strike is better than multiple faster strikes because the harder an attack, the more armor it pierces.

Not to mention implicit mods on items. I mean, accuracy bonuses with resolute tech? Useless.
IGN: Troheim

Item Shop: www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/368180
Last edited by evantide2 on Apr 3, 2013, 4:35:14 AM
evantide, the 1st half of your post is somewhat wrong - namely 1. spamming LS as a single target skill is stupid and way inferior dmg when you can have a 5l/6l heavy strike (you MAY choose Kaom's for your chest but I don't really see the upside to this) and 2. getting Blood Magic is optional as it will leave you with running worthless auras and 3. getting catalyze and any other ele dmg nodes is a waste of points if you're using Marohi or any other super high phys dmg weapon.

Otherwise you are right about wasting points to get to sword passives + the crit/accuracy stuff.
IGN Asdfninja
"
synergyflow wrote:
getting catalyze and any other ele dmg nodes is a waste of points if you're using Marohi or any other super high phys dmg weapon.

U sure know ur way around passive tree.... Catalyze etc, very outdated screenshot, those fire\cold numbers almost breached 4k with marohi =>>
IGN: Seze
Yeah.. try speccing out of catalyze and see how much dps you'll lose on that.. what, 300? Oh noes.

The dps difference is veeery little. Especially if you dont waste points in elemental dmg and put them into physical/hp AND not use anger or wrath. The whole point of a physical build is to maximize your phys so your hatred added fire will scale off it and NOT waste reserved mana/life on anger or wrath which you dont boost in your passive tree anyway. I'm basing all this on the fact that one uses Marohi which has no ele dmg on it i.e. all phys no ele dmg on the weapon AND the fact that heavy strike, leap slam cleave sweep etc. all increase phys dmg.

But hey, do what you like :)
IGN Asdfninja
Last edited by synergyflow on Apr 3, 2013, 5:57:59 AM
"
synergyflow wrote:
Yeah.. try speccing out of catalyze and see how much dps you'll lose on that.. what, 300? Oh noes.

I loose 941 dps as of now if I respec catalyze(1 point for 1k dps is good in my book). What moron these dayz does not use anger\wrath on ground slam mara...takes like 150hp with Covenant to use and gives good dps boost(~800-900 lightning dmg from wrath alone)... and yes I use marohi... the point of physical build is to take as much hp on the tree as possible to survive 75+ maps with that retared mob dmg... str gives enough phys dmg...
IGN: Seze
This post is about leap slam...

Anyway, same thing applies i guess, but yes you definitely want to use elemental damage with your leap slam.

Marohi weapon is garbage as well in my opinion. It has a massive top end physical damage and really slow attack speed. Meaning for most stuff its probably a bit too slow to make your life leech process smooth and for physical reflect monsters you're going to be taking a ton of damage because the top end physical is so high. In the long run you'd want to swap the Marohi out.

Catalyze should be taken and you can't really waste points in elemental damage if your specced and geared correctly.

I have a 13k leap slam and both elemental and physical reflect do nothing to me because im geared and specced correctly.

Edit - A sword isn't a bad leap slam weapon if its rolled right, tend to be a bit fast I think the sweet spot is around 1.25 attacks per second. Anything quicker you'll be using alot of hp per attack and anything slower starts making life leeching less efficient. Also I wouldn't bother putting ANY points into any of these 2 hand weapon specific talents anyway....you're much better off putting the points into getting 7 auras OR putting them into the 2 handed talents that dont require a specific weapon, like at duelist start area. Again i havn't spent any in those talents and my dps is 13k. Check my post for more details on my spec.
Last edited by pengant on Apr 3, 2013, 6:43:52 AM
Alright Seze, I was feeling pretty lazy but let's compare stats then, if you're gonna call people idiots..

And, yes, I prefer taking a HP node over catalyse (that's 3 points total on catalyse and nearby 10% nodes instead of 3 hp nodes, which can amount to what, around 500 life..?)

IGN Asdfninja
Last edited by synergyflow on Apr 3, 2013, 6:52:41 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info