Splitting Steel

The problem with Splitting Steel is that, if you scale a.s. (smh like 4-5 a.p.s.) you'll have to either kill boss in 12 shots or will have to use call of steel every 1 or less sec. (or use every 2.5sec and wait 1sec to fully load) , which will result in huge dps drop compared to build that don't scale a.s. as much, it feels awfully when u have to use call of steel every 2.5sec while mapping.
So my suggestion here is to make call of steel scalable with attack speed:
Example 1. max of shards is 12x(1+(attack speed modifier/100)) and 1/3 of max shards on using call of steel is gained instantly (fe. with 200% a.s. u will gain 36 max shards and insta 12 shards).
Example 2. max of shards is 12x( 1+( weapon a.s.*(attack speed modifier/100)*0.7 ) ) and 1/3 of max shards on using call of steel is gained instantly (fe. with 200% a.s. and weapon with 1.5 a.s u will gain 50(49,8) max shards and insta 17(16,66) shards).
Call of Steel gives you instantly the amount of impale shards it recovers from enemies. You don't have to cast Call of Steel every "a second or less", just once every X hits where X is the number of hits your impales last. And for Splitting Steel it's less restrictive because you don't need to be at full shards, it just costs 1.

Appart from this, the numbers you suggest would kill the whole purpose of Call of Steel. Even low aps builds can get easily 200% increased aps before vaal haste/ancestral protector/onslaught. Why would you want 36 or 50 shards if you can't spend more than 4/sec? A dual-wielding build without much investment in attack speed could easily get 60 shards (20 instant) in example 1 and 75 (25 instant) in example 2. It's simply absurd, that way you could complete maps with just a few reloads, and kill any boss without using Call of Steel even once.

Seriously guys, it's like playing channeling builds, or intensify, or unleash. They're not intended to be zum-zum skills that work with little or zero plannification. People is reducing physical builds to "Insert Paradoxica here", like if everything has to work only for high aps and crit. If the mechanic isn't for you then move to another skill. 2-skill synergy builds are not for everyone, as chanelling is not for everyone, neither are unleash, intensify, minions or totems, each playstyle has its niche. Just stop trying to kill a mechanic just because it doesn't fit into your playstyle.

Call of Steel is not just a reload button, if you're not understanding the mechanic maybe you shouldn't build around it, to begin with. I was hyped about a creeping frost or blazing salvo pinpiont build, then tried it and realized that intensify mechanic is not for me. Hey, let's go cry and say pinpiont is garbage and doesn't work just because it doesn't fit into my playstile! Even better, let's say how to "fix" it so it can work FOR ME, and screw all people who is actually enjoying that playstyle... Seriously, I respect everybody's right to express an opinion and to suggest, but please think carefully before doing it, specially if you're gonna bring numbers to the suggestion. The last time GGG listened to misconceived suggestions they killed a whole league.

All of that being said, it's pretty obvious that GGG doesn't want PoE to be a "hold m2 to win" game anymore. It's not only about steel skills + Call of Steel. Slams + warcries, hexes + hexblast, Flame wall + projectiles, Orb of Storms+ lightning skills, Essence Drain + Contagion... Synergy IS a thing in PoE, take it or leave it but don't try to destroy it.
Feel free to ckeck some skill suggestions:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2253742
Splitting Steel seems to be the only skill when his primary base requirement (Dexterity) is lower than his secondary base requirement (Strength) like at 20 the gem requirement is 97 Strength and 67 Dexterity.

It this normal or the numbers has been inverted ?
I have to agree with the people complaining about having to reload their "ammo" with Call of Steel. It is ridiculous to give us bow skills that can fire unlimited arrows free of charge (and for more damage) but then force us to use what is essentially a physical damage version of Frost Blades that we have to manually recharge. I'd understand if you put in an effect like, recharge to full shards on a crit or when you inflict an impale, because that could be worked around. But having a manual recharge is silly. I played these new steel skills for about five levels before giving up. It's wasn't worth my effort when there are many superior well-established builds I could instead play.
"
Lykkoith wrote:
Call of Steel gives you instantly the amount of impale shards it recovers from enemies. You don't have to cast Call of Steel every "a second or less", just once every X hits where X is the number of hits your impales last. And for Splitting Steel it's less restrictive because you don't need to be at full shards, it just costs 1.

Appart from this, the numbers you suggest would kill the whole purpose of Call of Steel. Even low aps builds can get easily 200% increased aps before vaal haste/ancestral protector/onslaught. Why would you want 36 or 50 shards if you can't spend more than 4/sec? A dual-wielding build without much investment in attack speed could easily get 60 shards (20 instant) in example 1 and 75 (25 instant) in example 2. It's simply absurd, that way you could complete maps with just a few reloads, and kill any boss without using Call of Steel even once.

Seriously guys, it's like playing channeling builds, or intensify, or unleash. They're not intended to be zum-zum skills that work with little or zero plannification. People is reducing physical builds to "Insert Paradoxica here", like if everything has to work only for high aps and crit. If the mechanic isn't for you then move to another skill. 2-skill synergy builds are not for everyone, as chanelling is not for everyone, neither are unleash, intensify, minions or totems, each playstyle has its niche. Just stop trying to kill a mechanic just because it doesn't fit into your playstyle.

Call of Steel is not just a reload button, if you're not understanding the mechanic maybe you shouldn't build around it, to begin with. I was hyped about a creeping frost or blazing salvo pinpiont build, then tried it and realized that intensify mechanic is not for me. Hey, let's go cry and say pinpiont is garbage and doesn't work just because it doesn't fit into my playstile! Even better, let's say how to "fix" it so it can work FOR ME, and screw all people who is actually enjoying that playstyle... Seriously, I respect everybody's right to express an opinion and to suggest, but please think carefully before doing it, specially if you're gonna bring numbers to the suggestion. The last time GGG listened to misconceived suggestions they killed a whole league.

All of that being said, it's pretty obvious that GGG doesn't want PoE to be a "hold m2 to win" game anymore. It's not only about steel skills + Call of Steel. Slams + warcries, hexes + hexblast, Flame wall + projectiles, Orb of Storms+ lightning skills, Essence Drain + Contagion... Synergy IS a thing in PoE, take it or leave it but don't try to destroy it.

I totally agree, however i do think they force Impale on Steel skills a bit too much. it;'s more:
Call of Steel + Impale + Steel skill
At the moment. Not many skills require a third mechanic to be 100% useful.

But he is right in the fact that it becomes a reload skill if you don't go for any impale chance at all.

Cuz if you don't impale enough, you won't easily get shards back.

I don't mind completely, as everything should have a minor drawback, but it's a bit weird. but I don't mind anything about the skills whatsoever. THey are all great (the steel skills - besides the shattering bug imho)

But people using call of steel with other skills however... only provides benefits. :D as then any steel ksill becomes a supportive skill like orb of storms because they just want call of steel, to get the damage.

Read: Impaler + Ground Slam => put 5 impales on 10 minor mobs around the boss. Then use call of steel, boss get's call of steel rojeciles from all 10. :P
Last edited by Wieze on Oct 5, 2020, 8:11:37 AM
Hi folks,

I love splitting steel because it auto-targets mobs but I hate that:
- Call of steel makes your character stop attacking AND moving. WTF?
- Call of steel is very slow without the jewel
- Dps in 3.15 sucks in higher lvl areas
- no melee tag means a ton of support gems which are there to increase physical dmg are not working but impale is all about physical dmg...
- Brutality cancels all elemental and chaos dmg which is dumb since a lot of green support gems add chaos or elemental dmg. It kills the variety of builds viable at high level.

A lot of people are saying that lancing steel is THE SOLUTION for single target but I disagree: the spread is way too wide (Why? It makes no sense!) and the skill does not give a lot more dps unless you use that dying sun flask.

Having to switch gems sucks, can we have two skills in one like Blood and Sand stances?

No wonder no one is playing it.
I have a question. Splitting steel does not inherently pierce? So piercing boosts this skill well? E.g. passive nodes, affixes, pierce support?

About the style of play. Since splitting steel is massive in terms of mobs, but crap with single target dps, I play splitting steel/lancing steel champion. Splitting steel on gloves now with faster attacks support and faster projectiles built in also pierce crafted affix.

And lancing steel on chest now 5-link, future 6-link and can focus on supports that boost pure dps.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info