[3.12] Death's Oath CI Occultist | Lazy Playstyle | Cheap Budget

Hey everyone, this is my very first guide, its my own take on the Death's Oath builds as i made one back in betrayal and loved it then, so i decided to try to make it as good as possible!

Well, as of November 2020, I unfortunately, can't really recommend this build, while it is pretty good, it doesn't perform overall that well for the budget. If you are looking for a similar playstyle, I do have another build that I've swapped over to, that clears ALL content, and is much much better than this build. Ill Post a link below. At this point, can just hope that GGG buffs death's oath in some way, to make it a competitive build. I will still continue to answer and questions, and take suggestions if you find a way to make it better, but its just not up to par =\

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2981246

Have a great day guys!

Pros:
Fast Mapper (can clear t16's easily)
Can do any map mods
Can Do Map Bosses Easily
Most relaxed build I've played so far, mapping just requires you to run!
Don't need a 6 link chest!
Low budget
Decent Delver, have gotten to 450 so far with minimal problems
Can play with 1 hand!

Cons:
Not a good end game bosser, doable, but not designed for this
5 or 6 off colored chest
Requires a bit of strength from gear
Not tanky
Porcupines.

Updated for 3.12!
Little has changed for the build so far, the tree has changed a little but just a few point swaps, still getting the same notables for the same price!

Introduction
Spoiler

This build is based entirely off of the chest piece Death's Oath

The Death Aura from this chest gives us a damaging aura that we use to scale for our map clear and damage.

The benefits of having the skill come from an item is that any support in the item will affect the skill, so a linked chest is not required for this build and definitely lowers the cost.

The way we scale our death aura are from a few sources,

Chaos Damage
Chaos Damage over time Multiplier
Damage Over time
Damage over time Multipliers
Non-Curse Aura increased effects
Non-Ailment Chaos Damage over Time Multiplier
Increased Damage
and Area Damage

Path of Building (Community Fork)
Spoiler

Use the community fork version of PoB, The original PoB is no longer being updated and may not work with the pastebins!

Low Budget/Leveling (No Clusters, cheap gear)(updated for 3.12)
https://pastebin.com/hnFJrmAY

Medium Budget (Cheap Clusters, medium costing gear)(updated for 3.12)
https://pastebin.com/7GX9Ut3b

High Budget (Expensive Clusters/gear)(My Final Build)(updated for 3.12)
https://pastebin.com/DbGeHFdz

Playstyle
Spoiler

We just run through mobs to clear them, only really stopping for tanky rares or bosses. Can play with just 1 hand if you dont wish to use flasks every time they are up(i do this when im eating)

There aren't really any map mods that we cannot do, chaos resist and reduced curse effect would be only thing that would come close, but is more of a minor inconvience.

Can do most bosses, ive done shaper, elder, guardians, conq's, without much trouble, just have to actually do mechanics as you are not very tanky.

Ascendancy
Spoiler

Vile Bastion -> Void Beacon -> Withering Presence -> Profane Bloom

We kill all bandits for the 2 passives

Pantheon
Spoiler

I Run Lunaris and Abberath for mapping, can swap
to Solaris and Tukohama for bossing.

Leveling
Spoiler

If you Dont use the Community Fork PoB, Link may not work
PoB for leveling included below
https://pastebin.com/hnFJrmAY

Unfortunately, for leveling, due to our main skill here, we cannot use death's oath until level 68, so there are a few different leveling methods you can use.

We do get some chaos damage and DoT nodes fairly early, so Going Essence Drain/Contagion as leveling really compliments the build. Another alternative which ive recently enjoyed doing on any caster, is going the basic Spellslinger Volatile Dead/Detonate Dead setup

Spellslinger gem setup (requires a wand!)
B-B-G Spellslinger - Desecrate - Spell Cascade
B-B-G-G Spellslinger - Spell Cascade - Volatile Dead - Detonate Dead
G Barrage Somewhere in your gear to proc spellslingers

Using spellslinger setup, just try to get your usual resists that you need with either life/energy shield, and if you want, you can get fire/spell damage on your wand to help out

Our end goal here is to have at minimum, our Death's Oath and have some remaining energy shield + chaos damage gear when we hit level 68 for mapping.
Dont grab chaos inoculation until you are ready to put on your death's oath or are comfortable with your amount of Energy shield!

Current Gear Setup
Spoiler

Flasks:

Jewels/Clusters:

Gear Analysis/Recommendation
Spoiler

You need to get to 180 Strength (minus the Attributes from death Oath)
Ex: a 50 Attributes Death's Oath means you only actually need 130 strength from the rest of your gear/jewels/Passives as when you equip it, it gives attributes.

Weapon/Shield/2h
Spoiler

For the Cheaper builds, i would recommend Either the Grey Spire or Cane of the Unraveling as both are fairly cheap for a decent one (few chaos), just look for % damage on either.

Getting into the mid tier I would recommend two wands/daggers with Damage over time and chaos damage over time multiplier with crafted chaos damage, higher the % you can get on all these the better.

For the most min-maxed, you can try to craft/buy high percentage

Damage over Time Multiplier,
Chaos Damage over time Multiplier,
The redeemer mod for Aura's grant 2% increased dmg to you and your allies, or go for the multi-mod craft with Increased Chaos damage, and damage over time.

You can either Dual-wield two of these weapons, or go the route with a high ES shield with Increased effect of non-curse aura's for survivability which is the route I took,as went from 7.5k es to 9k es.

Rings
Spoiler

This is where you are primarily going to get your strength and resistances from.

Go for ES with strength and resistances. Try to craft Faster start of energy shield recharge if possible, or increased damage/chaos damage

If you choose to go for rare items instead of the uniques for the helmet and gloves, you can split off some of the requirements there for the strength and resists.

For the rich people, you could try to essence craft a crusader influenced ring with Essence of envy so you can get increased chaos damage and the %max energy for even more deeps and Defenses.

Amulet
Spoiler

Aul's Uprising Easily best choice for the build.

Its provides everything we need, Stats(strength), Maximum Energy Shield, and Makes malevolence free!

Cheaper alternative would be to use the Despair Impresence as it tends to be a bit cheaper than a good Aul's, it is a substantial dps decrease though as we lose malevolence all together.

An even CHEAPER alternative teo Impresence, would be to use solstice Vigil, which gives us temporal chains for free, but same as above, we lose malevolence.

I would annoint Charisma for both the increased damage for death aura, and reduced mana reserved.

Boots
Spoiler

Going to need the 3 basic things.
Energy Shield, Movespeed, and resists.

You will need to choose what item you are going to be putting aspect of the spider on, I would recommend either your belt or boots. just remember to leave an open suffix if you are going to be crafting it on!

Gloves
Spoiler

Cheap version is Allelopathy as it gives us damage over time and a free slot to make blight a 5L for increased boss damage

Next up would be to get hunter influenced gloves with Chaos Damage over time multiplier and a higher ES than Allelopathy, this will give overall more dps to death's oath.

Belt
Spoiler

Similar to boots, Need High ES, and the resists you need. If you are not going to craft aspect of the spider onto the boots, I suggest you do it here, You'll need an open suffix to do so unless you buy it with it already crafted.

For even more damage, you could grab a hunter influenced crystal belt with everything above, plus %increased Chaos damage. Goes up to 30%.

Helmet
Spoiler

The cheaper more dps helmet would definitely be Eber's Unification, it provides decent ES with void gaze(frontal cone lowers chaos resist by 20% after using a skill) This is better for bosses, worse for mapping as you need to use a skill(blight) to activate it.

More expensive helmet would be to get yet another hunter-influenced item that has "nearby enemies have -9% to chaos resistance" on it with ES, resists, and strength if needed, example below.

Ideal Enchant for this build would be despair increased effect

Chest
Spoiler

Ahh, the only item the build 10000000% requires!
Try to get as high Attributes as you can, as this will lower your strength you need to get for other gear. As state above, this item does not need to be 6 linked, simply 6 sockets.

Hardest part is getting the 5 or 6 off colors(I explain under Gems section on if you want 5 or 6). For this, i used the harvest crafting and it made it super simple, however assuming you are doing in another league without this, go for the Vorici Jeweller's Method

Flasks
Spoiler

Witchfire Brew Stibnite Flask, Quicksilver, Silver, and Sulphur Flask are my recommendations, the 5th flask you can choose whatever you like, i use a jade flask personally, just need to get the typical remove curses/freeze/bleeds, dont forget to quality them!

Jewels
Spoiler

Non-Cluster Jewels
Spoiler

For your typical non-cluster jewel sockets, you want any of the following:

% maximum energy shield
Chaos damage over time multiplier
increased chaos damage
area damage
faster start of energy shield recharge
any attributes you may need

(2h)
Increased dmg over time while wielding 2h
(dual wield)
Increased dmg over time while Dual wielding
(1h+shield)
Increased dmg over time while using a shield

Can also get a watchers eye with the malevolence DoT or discipline with faster recharge if you are super rich

Cluster Jewels
Spoiler

So there are a few different choices we have here, ideally we want 2 large, 4 medium, and 4 small clusters
Try to get strength if possible on these as it will lower your gear requirements accordingly

Large Clusters:
Spoiler

8 small passives with % increased chaos damage
Notables to look for:
Wicked Pall
Unholy Grace, and
Unwaveringly Evil
If you can only get 2/3, take out either unholy grace or unwaveringly evil.

Medium Clusters:
Spoiler

Two different price variations we have for these.
Cheap version:
Go for 4 or 5 small passives with %damage over time multiplier
(5 if you plan on lvling to late 90's)
Notables to get:
Vile Reinvigoration
Exposure Therapy

Best Version:
Go for 4 or 5 small passives with % increased effect of non-curse aura's
(5 if you plan on lvling to late 90's)
Notables to get:
First Among Equals
Master of Command

Small Clusters
Spoiler

You need 2 Passive skills with % increased maximum energy shield
Notables to get:
Energy From Naught

Gem Links
Spoiler

Chest: B-B-B-R-G-G(cheaper,more dmg, less AOE) or B-B-B-B-G-G

Arcane Surge, Concentrated Effect, Efficacy, Void Manipulation, Swift Affliction, Less Duration (or Awakened Increased Area of Effect(feels better))

(The reason we get arcane surge is because it adds the "duration" tag to Death aura, as it normally does not have this, this allows us to link Swift affliction, and Less duration as we normally would not be able to, this being the case, the level/qual does not affect us on arcane surge, just buy one from the vendor.)

Gloves: G-G-B-B
Void Manipulation, Swift Affliction, Infused Channeling, Controlled Destruction(swap for vaal blight if using rare gloves and not allelopathy)

Boots B-B-B-G
Several Options here depending on if you are using grey spire or not.
Grey spire: Vaal Discipline, Blasphemy, Temporal Chains, Enlighten 3
All others: Despair, Temporal Chains, Blasphemy, Enlighten 3

Helmet
Few options here depending on your budget.
If using clusters with master of command: R-R-G B
If using Grey Spire: R-G B B
If using neither : G-R G-B

Master of command:

Dread banner, increased duration, phase run, Flame dash

Grey Spire:
Increased Duration, Phase Run, Malevolence, Flame Dash

Neither:
Phase Run, Increased Duration, Second Wind, Flame dash

Remaining 6 slots if not using Grey Spire

B-B B
Enlighten 3, Discipline, Malevolence

and

R-R-B
Spell Totem, Multiple Totems, Wither

Video Gameplay

For those trying to improve the build Tankiness
Spoiler

If you find the build is less tanky than you'd like it to be, you can make a few changes for higher resistances/armor, you will lose a little dps doing this though.
Swap out amulet for a different Aul's Uprising, one that makes discipline cost no mana instead.

Swap out helmet for Alpha's Howl, Get 3 lvl 21 purities with lvl 4 enlighten(puts us at 88-89% resists with all effectiveness we have)

Get march of the legion boots and put in malevolence with determination with a lvl 4 enlighten with vaal grace or haste.(with a good armor flask,+Molten shell puts us over 40k armor)

Swap out a ring for a vivinsect and put discipline in there, as the increased res wont hurt since it doesnt reserve mana.

Having all 3 purities also frees up some of the rest of your slots of needing resistances, so it allows you to focus on getting damage/ES there instead.

I personally haven't tried this setup, but i've seen it on PoB and everything seems to check out, let me know if you try this!
PoB for this idea: https://pastebin.com/tuUYEfDr

Well that's as much as i can think of currently, i will add a video section soon of me clearing t16 maps and maybe a few bosses as well as a leveling section, Let me know what you think!
Last edited by Supaspork on Nov 9, 2020, 3:17:53 PM
Last bumped on Apr 14, 2021, 5:52:23 AM
Hello can you please send me one or two leveling skill trees or at least tell me what to rush etc ?ty a lot
hi can you add leveling tree on the pob ty
"
viperop wrote:
Hello can you please send me one or two leveling skill trees or at least tell me what to rush etc ?ty a lot

"
Pitetomate74 wrote:
hi can you add leveling tree on the pob ty

I added a short leveling section and updated the Low budget Pastebin to include the new leveling tree! Also added a tanky variant to the bottom of the guide
Last edited by Supaspork on Aug 17, 2020, 7:51:59 PM
Greetings and thank you for taking the time to put this together. Still low lvl here but enjoying the build thus far! I had a question about one of the gems you mention, Enlighten 3, would that mean to leave it at lvl 3? Also, am I seeing it wrong or are there only supports in the chest? Nothing to support? From what I understand, any supports must have some sort of effect to support, and the 6 sockets must be linked or the unlinked supports do not support anything. Maybe I'm misunderstanding but it looks like you have some untapped damage potential with the non-links.
Anyhow, thank you in advance! Happy hunting!
Last edited by velidar on Sep 14, 2020, 10:44:24 PM
"
velidar wrote:
Greetings and thank you for taking the time to put this together. Still low lvl here but enjoying the build thus far! I had a question about one of the gems you mention, Enlighten 3, would that mean to leave it at lvl 3? Also, am I seeing it wrong or are there only supports in the chest? Nothing to support? From what I understand, any supports must have some sort of effect to support, and the 6 sockets must be linked or the unlinked supports do not support anything. Maybe I'm misunderstanding but it looks like you have some untapped damage potential with the non-links.
Anyhow, thank you in advance! Happy hunting!

Hi! Glad you are enjoying the build thus far!

For the first question, Enlighten lvl 3 is the minimum needed for that, You can get a higher level one, although Enlighten support maximum level is 3 (4 if you get lucky with a vaal orb)

For the second point, Yes there are only supports in the chest, when you have an item with an ability attached to it, such as Death Aura on Death's Oath, that is our skill*gem*. This allows us to get an extra support as we do not need to use a socket for a skill, as it is baked into the item itself. For that same reason, because it is part of the item, any support put into the chest, is automatically going to support that Skill, therefore it does not need to be linked.
Interesting and excellent! Thank you for the great response!! Will surely enjoy this char!
I want to start this build tomorrow on Heist, but the PoB link is getting a error message for me saying that the passive tree of the link is outdated, the only thing i'm missing to see is your passive tree.
"
Gatts_Hawk wrote:
I want to start this build tomorrow on Heist, but the PoB link is getting a error message for me saying that the passive tree of the link is outdated, the only thing i'm missing to see is your passive tree.

Thanks for the heads-up, they seem to be working for me, i redid the codes either way just in case, just make sure you are using the Community Fork PoB, unsure if they will work on the standard one
build all content finish ?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info