Last Epoch latest patch feels really good

Spent an entire day playing Last Epoch, will write a review once I consider I played enough but for now this is a nice surprise.

I didn't expected it to go that far to be honest, when I first heard about it a while ago.

Will keep an eye on it (the good one).
Hf :)
Still waiting on Phase 3 and the introduction of rogues, archery and dual-wielding, at which point I plan to get my money's worth and then some. Definitely not impressed with the revamped mage melee basic attack animation, but that's a minor quibble. Only weirdos like me want to use basic melee attack over actual ranged attack skills (which is, oddly, a big reason why I still play Wolcen, where basic melee attack combos really matter).

I hope EHG stay the course and present the world with a solid, replayable game bereft of predatory RNG loops and hook-em financial models. I really do. We've been overdue a D3-to-PoE level ARPG paradigm shift for years now.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last Epoch doesn’t bring anything new, it’s a mash up of every skill system from every long ago from previous aarpgs. The game reminds me of an early PoE, not a good thing... The graphics are horrendous, missing an identity. Essentially they will sell their game. They ripped PoE and are trying hard to get the success GGG has. Imitation best form of flattery...

Wolcen has much more production value, skills are actually FUN to use. You can feel every shock, stab, bash, freeze... They have horrendous servers though. When it works it’s beautiful, when it doesn’t you want a refund.

I would save your money for D4... And shadowlands ^.^
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
"
solwitch wrote:
Last Epoch doesn’t bring anything new, it’s a mash up of every skill system from every long ago from previous aarpgs. The game reminds me of an early PoE, not a good thing... The graphics are horrendous, missing an identity. Essentially they will sell their game. They ripped PoE and are trying hard to get the success GGG has. Imitation best form of flattery...

Wolcen has much more production value, skills are actually FUN to use. You can feel every shock, stab, bash, freeze... They have horrendous servers though. When it works it’s beautiful, when it doesn’t you want a refund.

PoE was also a mashup of every skill system and it seemed to work for them, so I don't blame EHG for trying a post-PoE ARPG.

The deterministic, on-the-fly crafting system alone sets Last Epoch apart -- it delivers on a promise that PoE made long ago, that being the idea of a white item having the potential to become a very powerful rare. The dedicated skill trees per skill are also quite new -- the closest we've had to that is a handful of options per skill a la D3 and Wolcen, both of which kind of cribbed the idea from Sacred 2. The skill diversity to Last Epoch is impressive but also much easier to balance than, say, support gems in PoE, which GGG lost real control of a while ago.

I agree that LE is crude aesthetically and lacking a certain individuality but people don't really play ARPGs for their beauty or uniqueness, as PoE very soundly proves. Wolcen's more fun and prettier as a single player experience, but Last Epoch's got a lot more meat under the hood. Yeah, take that for a mixed metaphor. LE is already light years ahead of Wolcen in terms of ARPG potential. It's not trying for what Wolcen does do right and rightly so -- not everyone wants a fairly shallow but fun hack-n-slash ARPG experience. Especially not now that PoE has redefined the genre as a much more complex experience, whether we want to admit it or not.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
"
solwitch wrote:

PoE was also a mashup of every skill system and it seemed to work for them, so I don't blame EHG for trying a post-PoE ARPG.

The deterministic, on-the-fly crafting system alone sets Last Epoch apart -- it delivers on a promise that PoE made long ago, that being the idea of a white item having the potential to become a very powerful rare. The dedicated skill trees per skill are also quite new -- the closest we've had to that is a handful of options per skill a la D3 and Wolcen, both of which kind of cribbed the idea from Sacred 2. The skill diversity to Last Epoch is impressive but also much easier to balance than, say, support gems in PoE, which GGG lost real control of a while ago.

I agree that LE is crude aesthetically and lacking a certain individuality but people don't really play ARPGs for their beauty or uniqueness, as PoE very soundly proves. Wolcen's more fun and prettier as a single player experience, but Last Epoch's got a lot more meat under the hood. Yeah, take that for a mixed metaphor. LE is already light years ahead of Wolcen in terms of ARPG potential. It's not trying for what Wolcen does do right and rightly so -- not everyone wants a fairly shallow but fun hack-n-slash ARPG experience. Especially not now that PoE has redefined the genre as a much more complex experience, whether we want to admit it or not.

Loved Sacred 2... tear.

Edit: Not sure I’m ready for another 15 years of drama ^.^
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Aug 18, 2020, 12:07:40 AM
The redesigned monolith is a pretty playable endgame with nicely designed boss fights. But somehow I find the game harder and harder to click...
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?
"
Jerle wrote:
The redesigned monolith is a pretty playable endgame with nicely designed boss fights. But somehow I find the game harder and harder to click...

I'm very new to Last Epoch but after 4/5 builds in one week all I can say is I kinda reached a point where playing Last Epoch endgame annoy me a lot.
It doesn't feels entertaining at some point, and I'm not sure what could change that. It's a bit harder to come up with ideas that havn't been used in others hack & slash ...

Also the fact that character mastery can't be respeced is understandable, but having to respec entire skill points, then do some arena/MoF to level again all skills when you want to change your build feels very clunky, it's a very good way to send player right away to desktop in my opinion.
I would rather go the same way than passive points and allow to reallocate them for some gold.

Switched to Hadès for now, will keep an eye on Last Epoch in the future and see what they come up with. Except issue I have with endgame I find it is a very promising game and was impressed by the amount of work put into it.
Hf :)
Last edited by Heli0nix on Sep 3, 2020, 11:38:42 PM
The decision to stay in Early Access longer comes as no surprise. Given how much is already in there and how thoroughly it's being tested, I think it's a healthy move and shows a lot of self-awareness on EHG's behalf. Now we wait and see if they're equally self-aware of their own ability to see when something's ready enough to be exposed to the masses and resist the pitfall of pre-release perfectionism.

Last Epoch just pushed out their latest patch. If you’re frustrated with Heist, can give the game a spin. Updated early game areas (better environment graphics and boss fights) and introduction of loot filters is making this an amazing patch for the game.
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?
That's a significant improvement to the early areas. Looks like a different game altogether compared to where it was a year ago. It's gone from a pretty bland first act to a rather compelling, tightly paced one.

Impressive stash overhaul.

Still doesn't feel awesome or fluid to play but I suspect I'm expecting flight from a Ferrari there. It more than passes compared to most other ARPGs. It's just not an action game; it's an RPG carried by action. And that's perfectly fine. If anything, that's probably more the sort of ARPG Diablo veterans want than the shallow, kinetic D3/Wolcen play experience.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info