Towns need more atmosphere

Congrats GGG, with the awsome feedback from the community you have a fine game coming.

One thing I would like to see hugely improved are the towns/camps. They need to make you feel welcome when you enter them. They should feel alive. There should be lots of animated things. NPC's should have their own areas and not just stand like statues. Good examples of interesting towns / NPC areas can be seen in the game Titan Quest as well as D2.

Thanks. BR Anders
Last edited by kiario on Aug 15, 2011, 3:48:12 PM
I heard they are adding animations to the NPC's and such, but yeah I agree with you. I wish they were a bit bigger too, and I hope they have more sidequests available from NPC's that involve going to secondary challenging areas and such. I dont want them to overload it with pointless quests, but having some interesting side ones are always fun, such as the Golden Statue quest in act 3 of Diablo II, which grants you a neat reward of 20 life permanently.
I feel big towns are a waste of space and a waste of my time. I'm there to do specific things, and forcing me to walk between large expanses of empty town is just dumb... as it is I hate where the portals end up cuz they make me walk :P
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
"
zeto wrote:
I feel big towns are a waste of space and a waste of my time. I'm there to do specific things, and forcing me to walk between large expanses of empty town is just dumb... as it is I hate where the portals end up cuz they make me walk :P

does your guy have -100 walking speed? lol seriously the towns feel cramped and not relaxing at all. Of course there is a line, and I don't want massive towns, but right now they feel very claustrophobic and dead.
Is there a limit to how many players occupy one town? Because in CB, there's not very many, but if a whole lot of people are in one of these tiny towns at once, it's going to get very cramped indeed.

But having a whole lot of open space with nothing in it doesn't solve the problem. People will still congregate around the same central areas (merchants, stash, etc). Multiple stash locations in one town might help.
NotSorry: Bot d3 for cash, play POE all day

CaptainBurns: The game is just a means by which to kill things.
They are trying to make the game have up to 8 players in a party that means more than 8 in town at a time because you have to assemble your crew... that being said there just isn't enough room in the town for 16+ people right now and I would like to see everyone that is there that is in my league... because if I would like to team up with them it would be nice to see them to click on them and send an invite... not just see SpudOfDoom in the global chat but to see his character in the same encampment.
I love virtual brutality so save it for the Mobs...
Chris has commented previously that they will be adding in actions for the NPC's to perform while they linger about the town, and I am sure further iterations of the game will have changes to the overall feel of the towns as well. One thing to keep in mind, following the setting of the game, a large metropolitan area wouldn't really fit into the game very well. We are supposed to be discarded and exiled to a barren hostile place filled with death and suffering.
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
"
cybrim wrote:
They are trying to make the game have up to 8 players in a party that means more than 8 in town at a time because you have to assemble your crew... that being said there just isn't enough room in the town for 16+ people right now and I would like to see everyone that is there that is in my league... because if I would like to team up with them it would be nice to see them to click on them and send an invite... not just see SpudOfDoom in the global chat but to see his character in the same encampment.

Exactly!

"
Wittgenstein wrote:
Chris has commented previously that they will be adding in actions for the NPC's to perform while they linger about the town, and I am sure further iterations of the game will have changes to the overall feel of the towns as well. One thing to keep in mind, following the setting of the game, a large metropolitan area wouldn't really fit into the game very well. We are supposed to be discarded and exiled to a barren hostile place filled with death and suffering.

thats all well and good, I am not saying make them fancy big nice towns, I am saying they simply need more room. There is nothing fancy about the rogue enchampment in Diablo II, but at least the rogues knew they could space out from one another :P.
Last edited by NaveedLife on Aug 15, 2011, 5:31:47 PM
NaveedLife you are a true friend you understand that 16 men in a pretty large apartment sized area is STILL CRAMPED...
I love virtual brutality so save it for the Mobs...
The bleak, desolate feel of PoE can be kept by making towns large, fortified chunks of wasteland. Maybe have a small farm or vegetable garden; something to add space and signify that these people are trying to survive in a dead land.
NotSorry: Bot d3 for cash, play POE all day

CaptainBurns: The game is just a means by which to kill things.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info