After killed Brutus, theres no more quest?

To me, it just seemed like natural progression to keep exploring after Brutus. The only quest that got me a bit stumped for a bit was opening up the path to the bone cathedral - but even that wasn't very hard.
I would think most people would naturally just move onto the next area if there's nothing apparent to do where you are.

If this lack of an active quest is really stumping people from concluding that exploring the next zone is what they should be doing then maybe the npcs at the shore encampment should tell you about the dangers that lurk ahead after Brutus is defeated.

Spoiler
Basically just have them give you the start of the kill Merveil quest after Brutus dies.
Last edited by MM209 on Apr 16, 2012, 8:12:55 PM
I thought the logical progression was to move to the next area. I mean, how did they find brutus in the first place if not by exploring.

I did get stuck for a bit in act 2 with the ancient tree blocking the way, since one of my quest markers was on the other side I assumed there was some way to remove the tree at that time, which there wasnt (without completing other quests). I scoured that map from top to bottom twice trying to find the switch like the wall in Act 1.
"
I feel for Chris, I really do. He expressed in-game during the open weekend how he was surprised at people having trouble figuring out where to go after Brutus.

I sometimes wonder what they can do to PoE to make this work, to show players that exploration is the key to progress, not necessarily waiting for the next quest. I personally don't understand that mentality but I'm the first to admit I'm from a slightly older generation of gamer (heck, we used to draw our own maps as we went -- and they weren't mini).

I guess vocal cues from the encampment folk will help.

Man I still have binders full of all the hand drawn maps on graph paper from my days playing EQ. I miss those days no world map, no mini maps, having to level up your sense heading so you knew the general direction you were moving, having to remember certain rock or tree formations to make sure you were traveling in the right direction.
I honestly think that if we could gather up all of these new generation players that can't do anything without the game hand holding and spoon feeding them where to go what to do and throw them into some old school games the internet would crash from all of their wines and tears of frustration.
Luke: Sorry we have to leave you here, but it just ain't right to eat your wife's and daughter's brains. Plus you're really disgusting and I don't want to spend anymore time with you.
"
velrac wrote:
"
I feel for Chris, I really do. He expressed in-game during the open weekend how he was surprised at people having trouble figuring out where to go after Brutus.

I sometimes wonder what they can do to PoE to make this work, to show players that exploration is the key to progress, not necessarily waiting for the next quest. I personally don't understand that mentality but I'm the first to admit I'm from a slightly older generation of gamer (heck, we used to draw our own maps as we went -- and they weren't mini).

I guess vocal cues from the encampment folk will help.

Man I still have binders full of all the hand drawn maps on graph paper from my days playing EQ. I miss those days no world map, no mini maps, having to level up your sense heading so you knew the general direction you were moving, having to remember certain rock or tree formations to make sure you were traveling in the right direction.
I honestly think that if we could gather up all of these new generation players that can't do anything without the game hand holding and spoon feeding them where to go what to do and throw them into some old school games the internet would crash from all of their wines and tears of frustration.

And this is why I am personally and deeply appreciative of other games that DO hold the player's hand. No names mentioned, of course.

Is that elitist of me? Perhaps. But I am a big believer in knowing the difference between a challenge and a problem: you can overcome the former, but only solve the latter. And the solution to gamers who simply aren't suited to games that make you think for yourself...are games that don't.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Please stop. I can't breathe if my lungs are full of all this condescension.
Suck it in cupcake

Maybe if stupid people were not so stupid then we wouldn't be so condescending.
:: sƃuıɥʇ ɟo ʎɔuɐʇsuoɔ ǝɥʇ ɟo ʎʇılɐǝɹ lɐuıɟ ǝɥʇ ǝq plnoʍ sıɥʇ ʎɐʍɐ ʇǝƃ
plnoɔ ƃuıɥʇou ʇɐɥʇ os plɹoʍ ǝɥʇ uı plɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ǝpıɥ oʇ ǝɹǝʍ noʎ ɟı ʇnq ::
Oh, you think I'm talking about how you treated the OP. Nah.
all good =)
I just have an aversion to dumbing down anything more than it needs to be.

It makes me think of the first 5 minutes of the movie "Idiocracy" where it covers the mental de-evolution of the human species and you will see a fine example of art imitating life.

and we play online with people like this =P
:: sƃuıɥʇ ɟo ʎɔuɐʇsuoɔ ǝɥʇ ɟo ʎʇılɐǝɹ lɐuıɟ ǝɥʇ ǝq plnoʍ sıɥʇ ʎɐʍɐ ʇǝƃ
plnoɔ ƃuıɥʇou ʇɐɥʇ os plɹoʍ ǝɥʇ uı plɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ǝpıɥ oʇ ǝɹǝʍ noʎ ɟı ʇnq ::
I think it could be that many of todays players
do lack the grasp needed to just simply
explore to 'reveal' quests.

THey are so used to being hand fed they have
no mental capability to figure things out on their own on occasion.

That said, there were times I was befuddled .
I' have a excuse, I'm over 50 and been playing
games since the 80's including far too many hours in
D1 and d2 in their day.

I too have been potty trained by dumbed down modern games of the past six to 8 years.

I suppose the developers could fill out the current
game with more hints and pointers for the more clueless.

It would not hurt and it doesn't have to be presented
as if they were spoon feeding the player all the time.

D2 had moments you had to 'reveal' something in order
to reach the next 'quest'. It is a design element of a thing known as 'gaming'.
I will say on my first runthru it was easy to miss
exits of some dungeons (this brutus one was one of them)

Yes, I can understand some of the hate in the thread.
I shake my head too, all they have to do is explore
more of the game that is and not rush so much.

I suppose todays kids would also fail to grasp how
to play Diablo 1 and Diablo 2. I suppose that is why
Diablo 3 has been dumbed so far down too, in addition
to being made console hardware compatable. Not only the hardware forces dumbing down of the interface but the
people driving the hardware have to be accounted for.

Lowest common denominator sort of thing...

Damn. I sound so mean.

But it is true.

To the OP and people like you. All I can suggest
is you open your mind up some and learn to explore.
Truth will be revealed. It is part of the game.

CliffH raved: maybe if half the mods Werent neckbearded, introverted middle aged men covered in a layer of cheeto dust, they would review the reports before smacking their over protruding forehead on the mute button. FUNNY!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info