GGPK Defragmenter

"
Nagpur wrote:
nice ;) , but what im interrested for, can ggg handle this though the client ?
i just thought maybe it takes a while, but i dont think theres a solution, k lets see, im sure chris will say something , first, he`s just happy, everybody downloaded the patch , sooner or later ^^
I'm not involved in GGG, but here are a few thoughts why this is not done:

1) In the beginning of the thread it was mentioned that GGG uses a program like this internally.
2) It was also said that the patch-downloader does things in a way so it can be interrupted at any time.
3) the tool in 1) may be written in a way which violates point 2), so if the user would interrupt during the defrag-process, he might end up with broken data and have to re-download everything again
4) the tool in this thread can meet the requirements of 2), but it uses a lot of space temporarily (up to double amount of space)
5) if there exists a way to avoid effect 4) while ensuring requirement 2), this needs serious development effort, which may have very low priority

(DISCLAIMER: these are just wild guesses, which may have no relation to reality whatsoever)

anyway, from a user point of view, i could see a button in the "launch" window after patching saying "X MB can be freed by defragmenting, do you want to do this (may take a long time): [defrag] [launch]" but i wouldn't hold my breath for it.
Last edited by _Eddi_ on Aug 21, 2013, 5:23:22 PM
Hi there!

I was (by default) very skeptical about a solution like this to be efficient but i gave it a try
(i dont like to mess with original files)
So i got a defrag. ggpk file but you said to rename the old one, but do you guys save the old file?

i mean thats just another file = even more HDD space?????

Or can i just delete the old one and skip the renaming?

(EDIT: DONE)

ggpk file went from 6.8GB to 3.9GB!! (if i keep both i just lost another 3.9GB??)
Exiled for Eternity
Last edited by smartybarty on Aug 21, 2013, 5:44:46 PM
Don't know whether it is due to the patch or defragmenter, but my load times are noticeably faster now.

Edit: you can delete the old one. But you can also put it somewhere just in case and delete it in few days after you are sure everything works as it should.
„I don't give a fuck if it was his tenth anniversary with his goddamn neckbeard...“
„If they think I'm going to let them sweep this pizza guy thing under the rug...“
No mod action. Business as usual.
Last edited by Odoakar on Aug 21, 2013, 5:56:25 PM
"
Odoakar wrote:
Don't know whether it is due to the patch or defragmenter, but my load times are noticeably faster now.

Edit: you can delete the old one. But you can also put it somewhere just in case and delete it in few days after you are sure everything works as it should.

Thx!

BTW people, after patch startup + loadscreen were over 50% faster for me (already have a fast pc) but after i used defrag its seriously insane!
after boot the first startup always took longer after just booting up my pc before patch took like a minute to load. After exiting and restarting just POE and not my pc usually took about 20 seconds to get to login. loading screens during gameplay took like 3-5 seconds after patch initial startup of the game was in like 15 seconds down from 1 minute but after using this defrag my INITIAL startup after pc boot took me only 5 SECONDS!! loading screens during gameplay are NON EXISTENT! it just flashes black and done...i mean...wow!

overall graphics do look better as mentioned before due to serious stability improvements...best patch ever without even mentioning content added ^_^

I forgot to say thx!
Just one last Q to the coder of this source: is this usable for all future patches?
Exiled for Eternity
Last edited by smartybarty on Aug 21, 2013, 6:29:28 PM
"
Odoakar wrote:
Your method is quite simple.

1. Go to your PoE folder and put the defragmenter file there. Copy the path name to the folder (E:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile in my case).
2. Start-Run-Cmd. If you don't have Run on Win7, google 'how to enable Run on win 7'.
3. E: is my drive with PoE, replace the letter with your disk character

C:\Users\..\:>E:
E:\> cd E:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile

(right click and paste the path)

E:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile> ggpk_defragment.exe content.ggpk content2.ggpk

Confirm and wait.

After it's done, just rename the files as suggested by Nagpur.

I dont get it all T.T

C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile> ggpk_defragment.exe content.ggpk content2.ggpk

Doesn't work

edit i got it working i think
Last edited by banes312 on Aug 21, 2013, 9:49:57 PM
i post the tool in my poe folder and ran it saw no folder size difference what am i doing wrong?
IGN : MxZeal _____________________________________________ Youtube.com/user/mshadow1994
"
MxZeal wrote:
i post the tool in my poe folder and ran it saw no folder size difference what am i doing wrong?

You need to use the command prompt. In page 2 there is a post by radiatoren with detailed instructions on how to do this.
wow nearly 3gb shaved off + even with a ssd it is noticeably loading faster.
~SotW HC Guild~

As I can see current usage of the tool is not that friendly for the avarage user. So I changed few lines of code and now it works by double clicking.

Now the tool creates a backup of the Content.ggpk named Content.ggpk.old, then it creates a defragmented copy of it named as Content.ggpk. So there is no additional steps in the process, after running the game without a problem you could delete Content.ggpk.old to save some space.

Windows executable - Source

Usage:
1- Copy the tool to your Path of Exile directory.
2- Double click it and wait for it to finish
3- Run the game to check if everything is working fine.
4- If so delete Content.ggpk.old to save some space.

Spoiler
This was the first time I had my hands on a ruby code. Thankfully I only changed 2-3 lines of code but if there is a way that it could be done more efficiently. Experienced ruby developers should feel free to make appropriate changes.
No longer a forum dweller, please use PM for contact purposes.
Last edited by ignarsoll on Aug 22, 2013, 2:58:30 AM
"
ignarsoll wrote:
As I can see current usage of the tool is not that friendly for the avarage user. So I changed few lines of code and now it works by double clicking.

Now the tool creates a backup of the Content.ggpk named Content.ggpk.old, then it creates a defragmented copy of it named as Content.ggpk. So there is no additional steps in the process, after running the game without a problem you could delete Content.ggpk.old to save some space.

Windows executable - Source

Usage:
1- Copy the tool to your Path of Exile directory.
2- Double click it and wait for it to finish
3- Run the game to check if everything is working fine.
4- If so delete Content.ggpk.old to save some space.

Spoiler
This was the first time I had my hands on a ruby code. Thankfully I only changed 2-3 lines of code but if there is a way that it could be done more efficiently. Experienced ruby developers should feel free to make appropriate changes.

This could cause some problems with people running this more than once and over-writing the old file. You did put a check in to prevent it running if there is already a Content.ggpk.old in the folder already?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info