Physical Vs Elemental the never ending story

No-no.
Damage from auras multiplied by elemental damage, weapon elemental damage and projectile damage.

so, flat 100 damage from wrath for physical will be -> 167 (from projectile)

For elemental 100 -> 130 (inner force) -> multiply by 120% elemental and 36% projectile -> either 130*2.2*1.36=388 or 130*(2.2+0.36)= 332.8, don't remember mechanic.
"
Gremlion wrote:
No-no.
Damage from auras multiplied by elemental damage, weapon elemental damage and projectile damage.

For elemental 100 -> 130 (inner force) -> multiply by 120% elemental and 36% projectile -> either 130*2.2*1.36=388 or 130*(2.2+0.36)= 332.8, don't remember mechanic.

Yeah I missunderstood. The Wrath aura would surely give more to Player 2. However the elemental damage should benefit both?

If we talk about auras, then what about Hatred:
Adds 25% of you base physical damage as cold damage ON TOP of your physical damage:

At full frenzy Player 1 hade some 3200 physical damage per attack = 800 extra elemental damage

So Player 1 can just run hatred instead of Wrath, because it would benefit him more.
Last edited by Celavie on Mar 19, 2013, 7:50:36 AM
Give to second player same Lioneye and blackgleam.
hatred on Lioneye+broadstroke < hatred on lioneye + inner force + elemental modifiers.
"
Gremlion wrote:
Give to second player same Lioneye and blackgleam.
hatred on Lioneye+broadstroke < hatred on lioneye + inner force + elemental modifiers.

Will do; but it will take a while
I don't know if it's really practical to approach this from a theorycrafting point of view because of how many variables there are. You just end up having to make too many assumptions. You can construct a scenario in which physical damage scaling beats elemental or vice-versa, but the real question is which actually wins with the auras, crit rate, builds, gear, and so on, that people often have in the endgame, and when reduced by the armour and or resistances of the monsters that you have to face in the endgame. This last issue would make a big difference, due to the vast difference in how physical and elemental mitigation is handled.

So the most practical way to approach it is from the opposite angle (i.e. real world testing), and for that we'd need damage numbers viewable in the game somewhere.
"
I don't know if it's really practical to approach this from a theorycrafting point of view because of how many variables there are. You just end up having to make too many assumptions. You can construct a scenario in which physical damage scaling beats elemental or vice-versa, but the real question is which actually wins with the auras, crit rate, builds, gear, and so on, that people often have in the endgame, and when reduced by the armour and or resistances of the monsters that you have to face in the endgame. This last issue would make a big difference, due to the vast difference in how physical and elemental mitigation is handled.

So the most practical way to approach it is from the opposite angle (i.e. real world testing), and for that we'd need damage numbers viewable in the game somewhere.

Agreed. But since it is not possible, I gonna try this instead ;)
"
Deen1983 wrote:
I think you're ending up with elemental damage numbers that are too low because you dont account for +ele dmg from rings/boots/gloves.

Overall, physical damage is safer due to possibly more leech, elemental damage can reach higher dps values easier.

Sorry but this is correct. You can get a lot more ele bonuses than physical ones on gear.

The other issue is comparing a high end expensive bow like lioneye's eye, for the same price of this bow you can get a dang near perfect thicket, and you used modest values on your thicket comparison, it can have a lot more damage than what you chose. Should do a comparison with a max roll thicket because that's what you could afford with the cost of lioneyes.
"
Celavie wrote:
"
Gremlion wrote:
No-no.

Yeah I missunderstood. The Wrath aura would surely give more to Player 2. However the elemental damage should benefit both?

If we talk about auras, then what about Hatred:
Adds 25% of you base physical damage as cold damage ON TOP of your physical damage:

At full frenzy Player 1 hade some 3200 physical damage per attack = 800 extra elemental damage

So Player 1 can just run hatred instead of Wrath, because it would benefit him more.

HAtred is a big boost to dps using lioneyes, problem is most ranger builds have been using blood magic to be efficient so they can't run hatred. You can overcome this by having a 6L with blood magic gem, but the other option is keep your blood magic passive and use faster attacks, which you could use fa with thicket, would have to then compare the numbers difference.with using fa or hatred on the lioneye's, and if you could use other percentage auras to your benefit.
How does this tie into the inherit bouns that elemental damage produces?

Such as static shock/burn etc?

With a higher lightning ele damage, your dps increase can be 40% higher which would make the high ele damage a better option right?
"
SEOINAGE wrote:
"
Deen1983 wrote:
I think you're ending up with elemental damage numbers that are too low because you dont account for +ele dmg from rings/boots/gloves.

Overall, physical damage is safer due to possibly more leech, elemental damage can reach higher dps values easier.

Sorry but this is correct. You can get a lot more ele bonuses than physical ones on gear.

The other issue is comparing a high end expensive bow like lioneye's eye, for the same price of this bow you can get a dang near perfect thicket, and you used modest values on your thicket comparison, it can have a lot more damage than what you chose. Should do a comparison with a max roll thicket because that's what you could afford with the cost of lioneyes.

What are the values of a max Thicket?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info