[3.9] HIT AND RUN EXPLOSIVE ARROW RAIDER, ALL CONTENT

3.9 HIT AND RUN EXPLOSIVE ARROW RAIDER BUILD BY semma_car19

For the past 5 years I have been stranded on an island, I have now found my way back to Wraeclast... To save it!

We are back in business boys! I decided to try and make this build work again and boy, the DPS is much higher than what we had with Elementalist.
Whilst this isn't the cheapest build out there, it also isn't near as expensive as some others out there.

With the changes in 3.9 I'm hopeful that we can expect Explosive Arrow to scale really well into endgame.

This is the best EA build you will find!

Recent Updates

Added new section where I explain each piece of BiS gear and links in it

Added Last conqueror kill for last watch stone

Added Baran Kill LVL83

Added Uber Atziri kill

Streaming on:www.twitch.tv/semma_car19

BiS gear and linke with explanation

Spoiler
Weapon for mapping

Spoiler
After extensive testing with links and items, it is confirmed that quill rain is the best weapon for mapping and even for bossing if you cannot afford a really good +3 bow. These are the best gems you can use for mapping. Mirage Archer really helps with clearing packs and Less Duration makes is we do it fast, keep in mind this is only possible when you have 2 weapons for weapon swap, since we then take duration nodes from the tree to maximize our single target

Bossing setup

Spoiler
These are the links I use for bosses. The only thing that can be changed is to swap Unbound Ailments for Empower lvl4, this way you will probably get more damage but less duration of ignite and it is more expensive

Body armor

Spoiler
In my opinion, this is the best chest you can get, the only better chest is combination of elder and crusader where you can get both the life% on kill and mobs explode on kill. I opted for Evasion chest with dodge since we go full dodge build with 65% evasion/dodge all the time without vaal grace. Other option is Kaom's heart, but I prefer the links for totems to life since 6.2k life that I have is more than enough. As for the links, the only thing you can change is remove increased duration and move it to helm to be connected to your vaal aura if needed

Boots
Spoiler
You ever thought how you want to be able to play 2 ascendancies but not pick Scion, well with these boots it is possible. Faster ignites and Tailwind bring so much to this build, you hit faster, applying more fuses and thus having an amazing amount of ignite damage. For links, we use Wave of conviction combined with Combustion for lowering fire resist for 44

Gloves
Spoiler
This is where we have our curse on hit setup and Malevolence aura

Helmet
Spoiler
Main mods you need on helmet are Life, fire resist and enemies have minus fire rest when next to you. It is very easy to craft and you use Scorched fossil and Pristine fossil

Rings
Spoiler
The Taming is giving the biggest damage compared to any ring, and on other one, look for life, elem damage with attacks and resists

Belt
Spoiler
The best belt for this build. Make sure to apply 20 Turbulent Catalysts for having max ignite speed of 42%

Amulet
Spoiler
Get life and +2 to gems

Quiver
Spoiler
Aim for extra arrow and ele damage with attacks, fire over time multiplier

16/12/2019
Path of Building does not correctly calculate Barrage Support, will post videos tomorrow to show difference. (Please be aware of this when looking at the PoB numbers)Update, now it shows correct numbers.
Gem links section completed.
Levelling notes section completed.
PoB link has been updated and is now 80% complete, please see notes section of PoB. Tomorrow I will add budget and midrange equipment sets to the PoB and also expand on equipment section of build guide.
Levelling trees will also be added to the PoB tomorrow
Update thread with tanky version with BM.

15/12/2019
Added some levelling notes.
Clarification on final gem links setup should be coming later today.
PoB forks have now been updated with the newly released gems, so the PoB link will be getting updated soon, either later today or tomorrow.

13/12/2019 - 3.9 Metamorph Launch
Explosive Arrow has received some love this league with a very nice skill rework.
As such, the tree has changed a bit.
Our main options for Ascendancy now are Deadeye or Raider.
We have dropped Less Duration Support.
We are still using Elemental Equilibrium.
Bosses are now even easier with the Explosive Arrow rework.

The build guide has now been overhauled to bring it up to date for Metamoprh.

Showcasing
Making 45 ex in 2 minutes
Deathless Uber Atziri with min/max gear
Last watch stone
Baran fight lvl 83
Hydra 3.9- Full Fight
Uber Atziri 3.9 - Full Fight

Shaper - Full Fight
Red Elder - Full Fight
Uber Vaals - Full Fight
Uber Atziri - Full Fight
Elder Guardian - The Purifier - Full Fight
Elder Guardian - The Enslaver - Full Fight

Pros/Cons

+ Fun to play.
+ Fast mapping.
+ Can Magic Find easily.
+ High life and safe gameplay, most things will die off screen.
+ High single target DPS.

- Requires some currency to make all content viable (Roughly 10ex for gear, 21/20 gems and Empower)

Path Of Building

PoB with best in slot gear and min/maxed tree(only the skill tree, disregard gear
Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/EWi50dRx

Damage oriented:
Pastebin Link
https://pastebin.com/0yydP37U

Tanky version with BM (recommended for this league)
Pastebin Link
https://pastebin.com/L82jiTJ0

Bandits

Bandit Choice
Kill all for 2 Passive Points

Ascendancy Choices

Deadeye
Utilizes more accuracy, more arrows fired and more elemental damage dealt.

Normal Lab: Far Shot
Cruel Lab: Endless Munitions
Merciless Lab: Gathering Winds
Uber Lab: Fast and Deadly

Raider
Utilizes more arrows stacking.

Normal Lab: Quartz Infusion
Cruel Lab: Avatar of the Veil
Merciless Lab: Rapid Assault
Uber Lab: Avatar of the Chase

Pantheon

Major God
Soul of Lunaris

Minor God
Soul of Shakari or Soul of Garukhan (switch between the 2 dependent on situation)

Budget Equipment

Weapon
Quill rain Bow,

Quiver
Any rare quiver with life and elemental damage as minimum.

Helmet
Any rare with life and resistances or Hrimnor's Resolve.

Chest
Any rare with life and resistances, Belly of the Beast or Carcass Jack.

Boots
Any rare.

Gloves
Any rare.

Rings
Any rare with life and elemental damage, aim to get at least one ring with some added cold/lightning damage in order to proc EE. (more on this below)

Amulet
Ngamahu Tiki

Belt
Dyadian Dawn

Gem Links after testing extensively

Single target:

Spoiler

Mapping setup
Spoiler

For endgame, transition into Awakened Elemental Damage with Attacks and Awakened Burning Damage Support.[/spoiler]
Helmet (No links required)
Blood Rage
Blink Arrow
Frenzy
Smoke Mine

Chest (Multiple options)
2 Curse CoH setup:
Rain of Arrows
Curse on Hit
Flammability
Elemental Weakness
Blind
Poacher's Mark

To apply 2 curses, either get Whispers of Doom in the passive tree, or upgrade to Awakened Curse on Hit.

3 Curse CoH setup:
Rain of Arrows
Curse on Hit
Flammability
Elemental Weakness
Blind
Despair or Temporal Chains

To apply 3 curses, you must get both Whispers of Doom in the passive tree AND Awakened Curse on Hit. You can then choose whether you use Despair or Temporal Chains as your 3rd curse.

(Do not use
Temporal Chains when mapping, you can swap this for Poacher's Mark then swap back to Temporal Chains for boss)

No CoH setup:
If you don't want to use a CoH setup, you can simply use Kaom's Heart and this will give you a big boost to both the explosion and ignite damage of Explosive Arrow.

Gloves
Steelskin
Cast when Damage Taken
Increased Duration
Summon Flame Golem (if you have high accuracy) or Summon Ice Golem (if you have low accuracy)

Boots
Ensnaring Arrow
Toxic Rain
Ballista Totem
Greater Multiple Projectiles

Using Ensnaring Arrow and Toxic Rain with Ballista Totem will give you 2 active totem skills for each skill. When bossing, summmon 2x Toxic Rain Ballistas and 1x Ensnaring Arrow Ballista.

Levelling Notes

Level using Burning Arrow/Caustic Arrow, use any rare bow that you find, ideally with +1 socketed gems/+1 socketed bow gems.

Once you have access to Explosive Arrow, link it with Elemental Damage with Attacks, Greater Multiple Projectiles and Combustion.

Use Herald of Ash.

You can also use Artillery Ballista for bosses.

Frequently Asked Questions

How does Elemental Equilibrium work?
You must have a source of either 'Added cold damage to attacks' or 'Added lightning damage to attacks'.
You must not have any 'Added fire damage to attacks' or 'Added fire damage'.
Use Rain of Arrows first to apply Elemental Equilibrium and your Curse on Hit setup.
Then use Explosive Arrow to apply fuses and wait for explosion.
After explosion, use Rain of Arrows again to reapply Elemental Equilibrium/Curse on Hit setup for the ignite damage over time.
Rinse & repeat.

Coming Soon

As the league progresses and I test more stuff, I will be updating the build with multiple gear options for budget builds up to best in slot.

The PoB will be updated as well with the available gear sets. Possible levelling trees and multiple skill trees for different setups..

So make sure to check on the updates section to see what has been added!

My gear in Legion

Spoiler

Used Eternity Shroud and full shaper set to achieve 50% Elemental Damage gained as Chaos, which is huge for Explosive Arrow!

BiS gear and linke with explanation

Last edited by semma_car19 on Jan 27, 2020, 9:22:28 AM
Last bumped on Jul 21, 2021, 11:25:09 PM
Most of the sections are not up to date
Tree in new PoB is for lv 95 and it's really spread out across whole tree because of keystones, so it's hard to tell what to prioritize during leveling as starter league character. Can You make some suggestions or tell us how You will prioritize tree while leveling ur EA raider? It would be really helpfull and I think I saw only one other guide about EA so far, which isn't using BM and EO. just EE. Also, any early league example gear? Tempest bow for stacking arrows and triggering EE or smt?
"
_Nektre_ wrote:
Tree in new PoB is for lv 95 and it's really spread out across whole tree because of keystones, so it's hard to tell what to prioritize during leveling as starter league character. Can You make some suggestions or tell us how You will prioritize tree while leveling ur EA raider? It would be really helpfull and I think I saw only one other guide about EA so far, which isn't using BM and EO. just EE. Also, any early league example gear? Tempest bow for stacking arrows and triggering EE or smt?

It remains to be seen for this league if Ea will be viable while leveling, in previous leagues it was not possibel to use ea until lvl 75. For this league I recommemd levelingnwith burning arrow or caustic arrow, basically any arrow skill would be nice since they are buffed. As far as the skill tree goes, go for life an d spread out to EE and BM. I will try and update the guide tomorrow as far as leveling is concerned
What about using Quill Rain, since the skill was reworked, and Quill Rain got 10% more damage?
"
Eternalisime wrote:
What about using Quill Rain, since the skill was reworked, and Quill Rain got 10% more damage?

It remains to be tested, ai still think that 30% lrss damage is a lot, ut we will see, using plus 3 bow seems better. I am not even sure about barrage support, its a big penalty for damage
any examples for budget gear ? I wanna start playing this on SSF
"
Still going for elemental equilibrium.

How do you proc EE ?
"
semma_car19 wrote:
"
Eternalisime wrote:

It remains to be tested, ai still think that 30% lrss damage is a lot, ut we will see, using plus 3 bow seems better. I am not even sure about barrage support, its a big penalty for damage

Updated
"
korzon3k wrote:
any examples for budget gear ? I wanna start playing this on SSF

Update thread with that info

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info