Please GGG Keep the same boss design for PoE 2

"
nebel wrote:
Bosses with multiple phases, so all your buffs fall off?

Bosses, that keep attacking you due to queued up animations, when they should just transition in next phase?

Bosses with just adds for phase?

Bosses, that take 10 solid minutes, regardless of your dps?

Hell yeah, awesome design indeed, could use more of those.
the fact that you think you should keep up all of your buffs on bosses is hilarious

"
Cyzax wrote:
Bosses are fine.... but... GET RID OF THE ARENAS!

why ? the point of arenas is to discourage one tactics that is king in arpgs- kiting. kiting is super cheap but super effective way to deal with most bosses if not for limited space.
They should give the bosses enough mobility to deal with kiting tactics effectively instead of limiting the Arena so much. I still get nightmares everytime i have to do uber lab with a char that can't just tank because with all the traps there is almost no space to move. Getting lucky on a darkshrine to shut down the traps makes the fight 1000% easier because you can move :/

Imo that's an example for not so good design, nontheless i agree that Overall the bosses are very well designed in this game.
I disagree. I think all mentioned boss fight with phases are bad design. Because they get insta phased by power creep and phases feel like a time drain.

Instead Bosses should get enrage mechanic where if they enrage when they take too much damage in short period of time they get additional life from an extra enrage bar with heavy damage reduction super fast movement and attack speed so you have to be more careful and not just stand there and dps until the enrage mechanic wears off again.
I like most bosses. Some are not as crash hot, like the Brine King. But that is cool. I dont want every boss encounter to be hectic. He is simpler imo, more about just taking a chill approach to it and dodging some silly strike points on the floor, and still looks the part to being something much "larger/more important" than a normal encounter.

Other bosses can be much more mechanic driven.

I personally like the balance between it all, and seeing the first few bosses we laid eyes on in PoE2 (the underground worm, that evil witch as a miniboss, CrowBell, the guy after you go down the crypts that transforms, and the goat legged sort of knight-ish boss that strikes with these blue blade like thingy majingies) I am impressed and happy with I see so far.

I hope they do a nice balance of boss types too. Some more simple and tankable, others more mechanic and dodge driven, others more phase driven, and some even like Kitava, pure epic. I dont like every boss to be like Kitava, but its a nice addition for something real big to have something so epic as an encounter. Size really transcends the isometric world. Its one of those things that kind of breaks the linearity of everything feeling the same size.

I also loved the Catarina encounter in Syndicate. Man, that was so much fun.

So yeah, I think they have done great work and from what I see already in what was just act 1 in PoE2, I think we are in for a treat :)

edit: I like phases too, and hope the pace of bosses is slower and not insta-gibbed. I like the slower pace overall. I know by the end its fun to be one shotting screens, but it loses some of that immersion earlier levels have. This could really be mitigated (as I pointed out in some other place) with creating a max damage taken per second threshold for every encounter. Really strong builds in that way can be the best in the game perhaps, and still not need balance as they do not surpass the max value set for total damage that can be done to a boss or encounter or said minion types, etc.

I also love the Arenas. I like both bosses you can just stroll too, and also the Arenas. Arenas allow for much better placement in tight locations to make the encounter more difficult. Also, this can be done seamlessly like we saw with Crowbell. But its still an arena styled design at heart.
Last edited by HazaRdReborN on Nov 23, 2019, 9:56:17 AM
"
zzang wrote:
I disagree. I think all mentioned boss fight with phases are bad design. Because they get insta phased by power creep and phases feel like a time drain.

Instead Bosses should get enrage mechanic where if they enrage when they take too much damage in short period of time they get additional life from an extra enrage bar with heavy damage reduction super fast movement and attack speed so you have to be more careful and not just stand there and dps until the enrage mechanic wears off again.

But that's not a problem with the bosses, but allowing such levels of powercreep to exist in the first place.
"
Gordyne wrote:

But that's not a problem with the bosses, but allowing such levels of powercreep to exist in the first place.

Its there not changeable anymore a constant u have to consider when banalcing boss fights properly.
Bosses have invulnerability and add phases, because players are too powerful. They've also been given more and more 1shots with diminishing telegraphs so they can have a gnat's ass chance in killing you.

Remember when Vaal Oversoul was the latest boss in the game ages ago, with its 1shot heavily telegraphed slam? Let's nerf the shit out of players to make those kinds of fights normal again instead of buffing monsters to make sub-par builds nonviable to play.
PoE players: Our game has a wide diversity of builds.

Also PoE players: The [league mechanic] doesn't need to be nerfed, you just need to play a [current meta] build!

MFers found strength in their Afflictions. They became reliant on them. I am not so foolish.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info