[3.8] Scold's Bridle Ice Nova Hierophant || No Totems || 65/55 Dodge || Uber Elder Viable

"
sirs wrote:
Hey man, congratulation on the build, was pretty bored and not even playing, trying your build was a blast, damage is really good and extremly tanky, only thing I notice is that sometimes I got "stuck" casting and can't cancel it, not sure if it is a spell echo mechanic or a bug.

A question I have is, why do you take the Zealot/Quick Recovery notable keystone if we don't have 150 devotion and it don't provide any Devotion and we already have Arcane Surge, is there any mechanic I'm missing ?

Another question is the Purifing Flame is for the Consecrate Ground right, it is just for the regen ?

Thanks for the build!

Glad you are enjoying it. The 'getting stuck casting' basically happens when you don't have a frostbolt to cast your ice Nova on. This can have two reasons:

1. You don't have enough mana cost (maybe low roll on gloves or low lvl ice nova gem?) or too much physical damage reduction (e.g. Gruthkul pantheon) so that you don't hit the threshold to trigger cwdt every time. This results in occasionally not having a frostbolt.

2. You are standing next to a wall/in a doorway and your frostbolts all instantly hit the wall and disappear-> you don't have a frostbolt->you will cast on yourself

For the second question: The nobales are affected differently for each timeless jewel, for me its just the base quick recovery node, if it turns into something else that you don't need (like you mentioned, zealot is pretty much useless) you can either not take the cluster (maybe instead take purity of flesh) or try putting your jewel in the other socket (next to pain attunement)

Edit: I missed your last question, yes purifying flame is just for the consecrated ground, it gives us regen and a bit of crit chance (they changed consec. ground a few patches ago)
Last edited by LordofWar619 on Nov 4, 2019, 2:27:39 PM
"
LordofWar619 wrote:

The key is, to get one that say's "Carved to glorify xxxx new faithful converted by High Templar Venarius" - The person (High templar venarius) is what determines the keystone you get. I'll edit my guide to make this more clear. Hope you enjoy it :)

Yes but i have this jewel :

--------
Carved to glorify 4802 new faithful converted by High Templar Dominus
Passives in radius are Conquered by the Templars
+2% to all Elemental Resistances per 10 Devotion
Minions have +60 to Accuracy Rating per 10 Devotion
Historic
--------

and it doesn't give me Agnostic. It make my keystone go to : Inner conviction

But this one is good :

Carved to glorify 4284 new faithful converted by High Templar Venarius
Regenerate 0.6 Mana per Second per 10 Devotion
Historic

Some GGG jewel shenanigan :D
Last edited by Doumi on Nov 6, 2019, 1:30:59 PM
"
Doumi wrote:
"
LordofWar619 wrote:

The key is, to get one that say's "Carved to glorify xxxx new faithful converted by High Templar Venarius" - The person (High templar venarius) is what determines the keystone you get. I'll edit my guide to make this more clear. Hope you enjoy it :)

Yes but i have this jewel :

--------
Carved to glorify 4802 new faithful converted by High Templar Dominus
Minions have +60 to Accuracy Rating per 10 Devotion
Historic
--------
and it doesn't give me Agnostic. It make my keystone go to : Inner conviction

Some GGG jewel shenanigan :D

Yes, it's because the keystone depends on the person:
Dominus = Inner Conviction, Venarius = The Agnostic, Avarius = Power of Purpose
More Info on the Wiki

However your second jewel gives you mana regen aswell, so thats actually really good :)
Last edited by LordofWar619 on Nov 7, 2019, 5:44:10 AM
Looks super fun, but since this league is already over as it can get, imma try this build out in 3.9 :D Hope no big changes hit this build on its way!

Edit: I got bored and built this character in 3.8 already... rip my 3.9 char

I added shock nova and rallying cry to the setup, feels really good! additional dmg+shock effectiveness. Though warcry has to be activated manually, the large aoe makes me feel good :D love this build so far. The only problem is my mana regen, it isn't an issue- but I only get about 700 mana regen in the tooltip. Dunno why but I have no problems while mapping anyway... Got my enduring mana flask aswell. It is just my pob tooltip warrior insticts that is bothering me XD
Last edited by TheRealMinsoo on Nov 19, 2019, 11:14:15 PM
Depending on how interesting the new build options are, i might roll the character again and update the build for 3.9.
Looks very fun to play, gonna give it a shot. How about leveling as league starter, is it even possible? Pledge of Hands and Militiant Faith won't be available for first week or two. Should I:
1) level as totems, then respec
or
2) play self cast Frostbolt/Ice Nova until getting key items?

And can it work without Watcher's Eye? We will see how rare elder encounters would be after atlas rework, but I suspect that getting right eye would be a problem.
Hi. I am also interested in answers to questions asked by Melnevacor.
And thanks for this build! One of the best builds I've played in 7 years.
Sorry for the late reply, and glad you guys are liking it.

As for your questions - I think the build is like a puzzle, and only when all the pieces are in place does it feel good. When you don't have the militant faith, you need other means to recover the life you lose from scold's bridle. When you dont have pledge of hands, your mana cost will not be high enough to trigger the frostbolts and this will feel really bad. So I'd say in order to play this version of the build these items are required. The watcher's eye on the other hand is not strictly necessary, but it will boost your sustain by quite a bit (If you don't have it, I'd suggest taking the aqueous accelerant cluster). However what you could probably do, is play the build without the frostbolt trigger, removing the need for pledge of hands, scold's, frozen trail, and to some extent the militant faith. You could then basically use any generic AoE spell (ice nova, shock nova) however im not entirely sure the damage would be high enough in this case.

As for leveling: I would absolutely not recommend this as a league starter because it requires a pretty specific set of gear (see above) and a six-link, instead it is probably better to wait two weeks until you can get the gear for cheap.
Of course, if you don't mind being a bit slower with leveling you could always level as selfcast or totems (totems are probably a bit easier if you don't mind the playstyle) but it won't be anything special until you get the required pieces.

Edit: Also the viability of the build in 3.9 might change with the patchnotes, but I'll probably update the initial post with my thoughts when the patchnotes are out.
Last edited by LordofWar619 on Nov 28, 2019, 12:36:05 PM
Thanks for the answer. So I'll start with Freezing Pulse Totems, there will be little to respec. 5-link Soul Mantle and double Kikazaru is enough to carry into endgame (killed Shaper easily with that setup), and then I'll slowly aquire needed items.
Hey, I was wondering when you cast ice nova, do you get the chest cwdt (frostbolts) proc every time you cast? I only get it once every 2 casts, so I was wondering if my 74% mana cost increased voidbringers weren't enough.

Edit: I have a level 21 ice nova gem, with 74% voidbringers and no gruthkul pantheon.

Edit2: After looking at your pob, I don't understand how it's possible to proc the cwdt frostbolt every time. CWDT lvl 1 requires 528 dmg, and the mana cost from your pob, factoring in the greater spell echo from pledge of hands, is 87 * 1.5 = 131.

Scold's causes you to take 131*4 = 524, which is mitigated, not counting lunaris pantheon, by 3 ECs, so you take 524*0.88 = 461 dmg per ice nova cast.

Am I missing something here? Even in my setup with a level 21 ice nova gem, assuming I had a perfect 80% voidbringer, the damage taken from scolds per cast would be 92*1.5*4*0.88 = 486 dmg.

Edit3: Ah I see you used cold pen gem instead of hypothermia. I think you should probably note in the guide that achieving one cast per ice nova is impossible w/o using cold pen instead of hypothermia (in your pob also)
Last edited by Fire309 on Nov 30, 2019, 7:34:15 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info