3.8.0e Patch Notes (restartless)

"
Why is your steam port so bad? A patch of 16MB needs 15minutes to apply (not download).

I've been wondering about this for a long while. Any answers?
Last edited by ricklesworth on Sep 11, 2019, 10:41:57 AM
Can you fix servers as well? Im having constant ping spikes meanwhile my internet is fine, any other game/software working perfectly... Ping fluctuating from 30 to 300 constantly.. ? :)
"
ricklesworth wrote:
"
Why is your steam port so bad? A patch of 16MB needs 15minutes to apply (not download).

I've been wondering about this for a long while. Any answers?

Again, the problem here is Steam and how POE handles content.

POE stores all its content into a single PAK-style file. This is convenient for loading assets as all the data is linearly next to each other so you can load chunks of assets into memory easily.

Steam's patcher (which is fairly dumb since it has to work for all games) says, "File X changed, so I'll download the new File X and copy it over." - which happens to be a 26GB(and counting...) file.

POE's standalone patcher is smart enough to open up the PAK file and see what individual pieces changed and only grabs those pieces.

It is unlikely Steam will change their patcher and I doubt GGG wants to change their ENTIRE DATA LOADING STRUCTURE to fit steam. So, if the patch size is an issue - swap to the stand alone client.
"
Strained wrote:
swap to the stand alone client.

Although the patch behaviour is annoying the Steam client is still better than the standalone client. Steam doesn't request an email verification on every login, because my IP changed (duh!), unlike the client from GGG.
(at least it did that 3 years ago, I hope this has been fixed already)
GGG have now clue on how to balance even the simplest things.
"
LimeKoala wrote:
"
Strained wrote:

Although the patch behaviour is annoying the Steam client is still better than the standalone client. Steam doesn't request an email verification on every login, because my IP changed (duh!), unlike the client from GGG.

Can't say I've had that happen at all in the last few years. Despite logging in from work or home. I'd give it another shot if you're so inclined.
"
WilliamGoosen wrote:
"
Super_Bob wrote:
Standard not enough disk space problem, seriously this is taking the mick:

Every time a new patch comes out I have to delete the download, delete the game then reinstall it because 27gb free is not enough space for a 127mb patch of a 27gb game...

This is a steam thing unfortunately. If you use the standalone client, this doesn't happen.

This is an incompetence thing, steam has nothing to do with it.

"
AdamSanders wrote:
Sure is alot of bitching and moaning from the peanut gallery for a completely free to play game. I think most people don't understand the complexity of developing, improving and fixing broken code or inefficient programming infrastructures.

Fortnite is f2p, get rekt.

"
Never a single mention of any console issue WHICH IS CURRENTLY IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY! get your shit together, give a damb, and FIX IT

You have to pay for patches (cert) on consoles so cheap assholes are gonna beta/alpha test on pc peasants first so that the number of updates on consoles is as close to 0 as possible.
"
greezly2 wrote:
I feel like beta tester but no one pays me....

We are unpaid beta testers, every league comes with major problems. I start to think if there is no "oficial" streamer with issues, the game is just fine. But look at the forums, "blighted" with the same feedback of past leagues. GGG do a good job in some aspects but really, they need to stop a little bit and optimize his game.

We are unpaid beta testers, indeed.
GGG, at the moment it´s very hard to play your Game without getting frustrated, but not because it´s difficult and challenging, no. It´s because of crashes, bugs and much, much more. Chris, 90% quality in 50% time might be fine for you, but you clearly can see, that those 10% are missing. I´d I think everyone would like to see a break, when Blight is finished, please don´t present us the next League. Take your time, fix your game, make it actually playable. If everything is done, announce a big Update with all the Bugs fixed, give us a complete 100% game which is enjoyable and fun to play. Maybe you´ll loose a bit money while doing so, but after this patch, everyone will start playing again. The first ones will see "Hey, everything works fine, I like it!" and they are going to recommend PoE again. The Community will grow insted of getting smaller (since 3.5 i think) and a lot of people out there are going to give you money for the work you did. This game is so broken atm, just use some flextape and give your playerbase a completely fixed game. I´ve got a lot of friends who´d like to buy your Supporter Packs, but simply don´t enjoy PoE enought to do so. the idea of Blight is fine, but it simply doesn´t work out if you have all those problems.
"
LimeKoala wrote:
"
Strained wrote:

Still requires an email verification on every new login from a different IP. Has for 5 years now.
So is the game down for the rest of the day?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info