3.8 Toxic rain summoner hybrid | Cheap | Tanky | Fun!

Intro
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for checking out my build. I've made this character every league and been refining it every league! With the new necromancer ascendancy and the Herald of Purity buff it's never been better.

Herald of Agony does the most damage in this build so that's why he's in the chest piece (+2 levels) even though it's more awkward.
Toxic rain does actually decent damage, you aren't going to kill elder with it but it clears maps quite well.
Heralds of Purity are not to be neglected as they also do reasonable damage if you get them enough speed.

The budget is easily 1 ex [bow, worthless. 6link was 50c last league, chest 20c? 4ex for 6l last league] but you can increase that if you want to get all the trimmings. I think my two six links and very nice gloves cost me 5 ex in total, every else was self found.

Passive tree
Stats: 200% life, 50% dodge, 30% spell dodge. Damage?? Who the hell knows, thanks GGG :P
Level 90 PoB: https://pastebin.com/93umR8uC

Necessary Items

Spoiler
Six links not necessary
Only these two are 100% necessary for the build to function how we want, quill rain got a huge nerf but it's still pretty good honestly. The attackspeed is what we need.

Recommended items

Spoiler
Gluttony is INCREDIBLE, it gives us mana sustain, culling strike, and insane lifegain on hit. AND frenzy charges to us and our minions as well. No es is not a huge problem as we lose about 400, no armour isn't important and the damage on move skill is actually a plus side as we can trigger our CWDT with it.

Gluttony is changeable but you need poachers mark on a ring.

Spoiler
These gloves are very good versions of what we need, there are two ways you can do it but this is the best version. Supported by poison gives us 100% poison chance and keeps the herald up constantly then, supported by faster attacks is also ideal but not necessary. It's not too difficult to get one support + 30% more damage over time with a few essences. Getting life/res and +1 aoe craft is a bit more tricky!

I also strongly recommend -8 manacost rings for this, or a -10 manacost clarity jewel. Having 5+ attacks per second on a 7link is pretty rough on manacost. You need to have enough for about 5 attacks in the bank before you can infinite sustain with our managain on hit.

Other stats are just the life and res we need. I like to get a shaped quiver with life, resists and 10% chance to blind on hit[minion speed is also possible]. Not hard to get as people only ever want quivers with damage on and we don't need that at all.

My other gear for examples
Spoiler

I self crafted or found all of this in SSF pretty easily.

Gem Links In order of importance
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bow
Herald of Purity > Minion Damage > Melee Phys > Withering Touch > Faster Attacks > Feeding Frenzy
Spoiler
I'd probably replace speed and/or faster attacks with Multistrike with the right colours I like withering touch as it increase our and the HoA damage as well.

Armour
Herald of Agony > Minion damage > Damage on full life > Vicious Proj > Vile Toxins > Maim
Spoiler
Nothing much to change here, vile toxins is very good once we have a decent poison chance as it basically reads 50% more damage, change maim out of anything here.

Gloves
Toxic Rain > Conc Effect > Vicious Proj > Void Manip
Spoiler
Void manip I think gives the most damage here, you can go swift affliction but it reduces effective DPS because of the -% time
Spoiler
If you don't have elder gloves then you might want to use poison support for now, however with the new poison nodes on the tree (from 3.7) it's not that necessary.

Other Misc Links Italics are my choice and you can use whatever you like.
Boots: Flame Dash, Convocation, Vaal Skeletons, Desecrate
Helm: CWDT > Immortal Call > Flesh Offering > Carrion Golem
Unfortunately we only have those 2 spare items for utility links, so use them wisely.

Pros and Cons
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros
*The build is really fun to play
*Tanky
*Easily acquired items
*Can clear most content
*Playable without every item or 6 links

Cons
*Not the fastest clear
*Requires some specific items
*Impossible to calculate your actual damage
*Needs a pretty obscure setup to reach the final potential

I'll end this guide by saying I have and do play this build SSF as league starter and you can quite easily map and play on 4 links with no coming calamity or 6-7l gloves, but if you want to progress to elder kills and guardians etc then you need to upgrade.
I haven't killed uber elder but that's because I'm bad at the game not because the build couldn't.

P.s. Sorry I cannot upload videos because my internet is terrible.

Updates for 3.8: New ascendancy! Feeding Frenzy support.

Ultimate end game bow possibility
Spoiler

Something like this crafted with essences to get the summons and vicious projectiles makes this a 7l bow for HoA that also summons an extra minion. But this took me 50+ essences to hit even the one mod and doesn't have any other good mods.
Last edited by Linnywtf on Sep 6, 2019, 8:15:52 AM
Last bumped on Sep 13, 2019, 7:53:48 AM
It would be lovely if you could add a brief introduction of the build, like whats the main skill for dmg, whats the buget and maybe some details/notes from personal experience with the build. Etc
General stuff about how the build functions
Last edited by friendlyfire440 on Sep 6, 2019, 8:05:14 AM
"
It would be lovely if you could add a brief introduction of the build, like whats the main skill for dmg, whats the buget and maybe some details/notes from personal experience with the build. Etc
General stuff about how the build functions

Thanks I will do, this is my first build. :)

Edit: How is that?
Last edited by Linnywtf on Sep 6, 2019, 8:15:16 AM
Vile toxins triggers the Crawler?
"
Singrave wrote:

Sorry, what do you mean?
What about using Rain of Arrows instead of Toxic rain? Toxic rain is a bit bug with HoA
"
Linnywtf wrote:
"
Singrave wrote:

Sorry, what do you mean?

i mean you have to poison enemy to to trigger Crawler and Virulence.
What skill you use to poison enemies?
Sorry, i'm new :)
Last edited by Singrave on Sep 6, 2019, 8:51:35 AM
"
Singrave wrote:
"
Linnywtf wrote:
"
Singrave wrote:

Sorry, what do you mean?

i mean you have to poison enemy to to trigger Crawler and Virulence.
What skill you use to poison enemies?
Sorry, i'm new :)

HoA gives 20% poison chance himself and the tree gives 30%, if you use poison sup as well its over 100% poison chance. With 5 attacks per second you gonna have a lot of poison no problem :)

"
El_Phosky wrote:
What about using Rain of Arrows instead of Toxic rain? Toxic rain is a bit bug with HoA

Toxic rain is easier to scale because it scales with levels and you don't need to use a decent bow. You could use Rain if you go phys damage but I think it's a lot harder and pointless.

What's the bug with it ?

Last edited by Linnywtf on Sep 6, 2019, 9:34:10 AM
You should replace your Toxic Rain, Void Manipulation, Concentrated effect, Vicious Projectiles.

Instead you better use Toxic Rain, Lesser Poison, Curse on Hit, Projectile Weakness.

Funny but this will even improve dps of Toxic Rain slightly.
On top of that Toxic Rain can overlap better and hit single targets more often (here Concentrated effect is bad!)

The dps increase on the Crawler will be huge (like an extra gem, 50+% more).
and you not need a Pierce gem which was badly missing in the Crawler link.

Higher chance to poison is needed because of map mods (up to 60% less chance)
and it is easier to keep Virulence up against Bosses without or just a few adds
which i bet your build has issues with.

Now you just need a 2nd curse enabled either by Whispers of Doom, Doedre ring or a Corruption.

Grip of the Council glove will buff your minions further.

I am not a big fan of the Sentinels but they are useful because of Withering Touch.
This is a big damage increase for the Crawler during a boss fight (up to 30% more damage).
Unfortunatly Sentinels only last 12 secs, maybe a increased duration gem could help.

"
Toxic rain is easier to scale because it scales with levels and you don't need to use a decent bow. You could use Rain if you go phys damage but I think it's a lot harder and pointless.

What's the bug with it ?

Procs very slow in my opinion and sometimes he doesn't even proc, there's a Occultist build with similar base using Rain of arrows instead and have perma 40 stacks poison from herald of agony

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2295570
Last edited by El_Phosky on Sep 6, 2019, 10:56:55 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info