Chain Hook

got to lvl 90
Chieftain, Brutus Lead Sprinkler, ~1200 STR, EleOverload

In general - worse than Cyclone. So for a competitive player - this skill is a waste of time.

Pros:
- fun (when it works)

Cons:
- obscure skill gem description. There are lots of nuances that are not described ANYWHERE like:
- - interaction of AOE/levels with 'chain range'
- - attack speed multiplier on chain
- - damage types/tags of various parts of 'hit'
- - Close Combat Support interaction - when the 'hit' happens for purpose of this calculation

- high mana cost. much higher than (basicaly free) Cyclone, higher than comparable mid-tier melee attacks
- TERRIBLE targeting. in general POE's targeting is the worst in any ARPG on the market right now but this skill solely relies on it for fluidity of combat.
- slow clear speed if not augmented with prolif/corpse explosions or smth like that
- slow in general. the %attack speed scaling is.. barely noticeable
- lack of niche. single traget is bad, clear is bad, movement.. is bad. so whats the point?

it might work well on Berserker with 50 Rage because then the OBSCENE attack speed simply covers up any skill deficiencies (it doesnt matter if you miss with 12aps) but i strongly discourage anyone thinking about giving it a shot - DO NOT PLAY THIS SKILL. Leap Slam does almost the same thing and is far more controlable.

I don't understand why it needs to swing or throw the chain for no reason. You only move if you hit something. In clutch situation this gets me killed. missed chains waste way too much time.
I'm using chain hook while leveling my Flicker Strike/Oni-Goroshi Master Yi Scion. Self bleeds + frenzy charges, the usual FS base items, which are all equipped now at level 68.

Chain hook is quickly becoming too much fun to give up, so I'm going to play both FS and Chain Hook. I want to be a murderous bolt of lightning and blades!

But, chain hook has a pretty underwhelming targeting system right now. It's very specific to where I'm pointing, though it still manages to miss the target quite a bit! There should be a small cone or circle around the mouse that automatically targets the closest enemy or object. Or a larger one if one already exists!

That way you could zoom around without wasting sooo many throws >.< Whatever can be done to increase the smoothness of target acquisition should be. It's already so good, it just needs a couple finishing touches!
Lots of fun to use but needs some love. Not least of which is making it not occasionally crash the instance for some reason. I've lost more red maps than I'd care to because something about chain hook is crashing instances.

Would really love if this skill became dagger/claw/unarmed/two hander friendly and some small tweaks to targeting would also go a long way.
Chain Hook needs to auto target monsters near the cursor, like flicker strike.

This would make it so much less frustrating to use.
2020 and nothing has changed about this skill.... Simple question, why?
"
KZA wrote:
Chain Hook needs to auto target monsters near the cursor, like flicker strike.

This would make it so much less frustrating to use.

reiterating this point.
Mathil finally did a built:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoeSA2Hz2zM

he makes EXACTLY the same points I did (which always feels nice).

The Skill is.. ok but targeting mechanic and weird scaling is terrible

GGG, just fix it please. targeting mechanic in this game is terrible for far too long
MAke this skill available for 2h please, no reason 2h can t use that and it would at least be played more than when used with 1h

Like what is the reasoning for allowing it to be used dual wielding but not with a 2 hander? When you dual wield you also don t have another hand to throw a chain irl.

Pls make it also a 2h skill
Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Apr 30, 2020, 11:21:08 AM
I've played a chain hook build almost every league since it was introduced, and I really like the skill overall. I definitely agree that it can be clunky when you miss a chain but I am unsure how you would fix that without making the skill too 'lazy'. Maybe where the chain lands can create a small shockwave so that enemies near it take some damage?

Also, I am not sure if it's a bug or not but when using multistrike only the first hit will generate rage and the repeated attacks do not.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info