Steelskin and the Guard Skills

"
DAKKONx wrote:
"
awoak wrote:
"
NexiieQT wrote:
To increase the skill ceiling and risk vs reward. If you've played other ARPG or action games like Dark Souls or Kingdom Hearts, the developers like to allow players to time their block/parry, which leads to a much reduced damage taken and even give players chance to retaliate.

The problem is right now, those games actually properly support this mechanic, but PoE like other isometric ARPG don't.

Just because they're both technically ARPGs doesn't mean PoE should mimic its gameplay elements. I actually think that's a huge mistake if that's the intention. Souls games' mobs and encounters are all deliberately designed with those mechanics in mind. Trying to force a reactive mechanic into a game that has always been based on grinding large, procedurally generated packs of mobs just sounds ridiculous (and more and more so, the more I think about it).

Truthfully, I don't play PoE to feel rewarded for being "good at the game". I play it to watch my *character's power* grow, as I grind levels/loot and watch my build become reality. There's obviously a full spectrum of opinions on this, but on a scale of watching-a-bot-farm to naked-soul-level-1-challange, I'm definitely a lot closer to watching-a-bot-farm when it comes to PoE.

Agree that the ARPG genre of games is not entirely well suited to mimic high skilled playstyles that Dark Souls require.

GGG is trying to change some of that here to benefit melee playstyles by having more telegraphic movements from mobs to allow us to either dodge OR cast one of the new guard skill cooldowns. This is not viable for the normal map grind where we take on 5000+ mobs and have infinite flasks but more for the 1v1 boss encounters where careful application of cooldowns and sighting telegraphic movements is easier to spot given the lack of a gazillion MTX buzzing around. This however is applicable to only very skilled gamers like Alkaizer where you need good understanding of boss mechanics and incredible reflexes to dodge damage. Most players as mentioned here want to see "character power" which appeals to the genre of ARPG players.

If ggg is not going to fix Delve's mods, all of those reactive playstyle non-sense does not make any sense.

POE is not true action game, so they can't design the game like an action game base on reaction and dodges because GGG do not balance bosses around that.

https://youtu.be/B1Sj8jo2YGE

There's a fundamental difference between RPG and action game. You can beat Dark Souls with lv1 character if you're good enough and know how to dodge everything. This does not work on POE because you can't dodge everything, and bosses are not balanced around that.
Last edited by mic01851165 on May 30, 2019, 2:22:11 AM
"
Steelskin [...] absorbs 70% of all damage taken.

Does this include Damage over Time? And also self-inflicted damage (Righteous Fire, Eye of Innocence, etc.)?
Considering the content and the way the mobs have been designed there is a limit to what you can 'react' to. Most of it is just chunks of mobs with super duper mods with no way of dodging or avoiding the damage. People who are saying , 'oh great we have more reactive stuff , look at all these noobs complaining', This is not an MMORPG to have timers and tactics integrated in to the core of the game to have the time to display your skills.
Don't try to hold it, flow with it.
As a great fan of isometric ARPGs, I began to dislike games where there are heavy meta builds and lots of shillshots that have to be timed perfectly or in rotation.

Maybe it is because of my age (35) but I like to play more casually and these skill changes aim to force you not to auto-cast or auto-trigger. IC seems to be nerfed with that change.

Also I am against the idea of slower winding time for mobs' attacks where you have to strategise to avoid the attacks. It hinders the aspect of "action" of the game.

I don't know, as I get older I feel less competitive and want to just enjoy my games without lots of technicalities. 1 or 2 auras or toggles, 2 or 3 skillshots and nothing more.
I do like the idea behind the change but it's bit difficult to comment without knowing how other aspects of game will be updated.

Potential is great as long as it's balanced.

Automated defences should allow for running red maps and Shaper kill, maybe Delve 150.

Manual defences should allow to push much further than that. Uber, special bosses, Delve 1k+, red maps with any mods.

Having said that, PoE is currently too fast and too full of random one-shot mechanics for even the most skilled players to be able to manually use defensive tools as suggested by GGG post.

On top of that, death is heavy penalty, even in soft-core, due to XP loss mechanic.

Let's assume for a moment that nothing else about general balance changes - this would mean much slower gameplay, especially on HC, as zapping through the map on top speed would be simply impossible.

Or everyone will be Jugg with 9 Endurance charges.

I guess it's a matter of wait and see what other changes are in 3.7.

"
Considering the content and the way the mobs have been designed there is a limit to what you can 'react' to. Most of it is just chunks of mobs with super duper mods with no way of dodging or avoiding the damage. People who are saying , 'oh great we have more reactive stuff , look at all these noobs complaining', This is not an MMORPG to have timers and tactics integrated in to the core of the game to have the time to display your skills.

Because people who TRULY believe POE is a real reactive base action game barely get pass anything challenging. They think Atlas/ Shaper/ Uber Elder is end game.

Deep Delve is closest to the reactive base gameplay since at certain level you probably couldn't even get hit once if you want to survive, you have to dodge 1232032 of those on death aoe and teleport or enemies hit from stealth or enemies hit you offscreen with one shot sound wave or exploding ice projectiles or zombie super degen ground. In theory it works , in practice it really doesn't.

In fact Vaal Grace is the closest active defense we have right now in Delve, and I pop it whenever I find the situation get really tight due to insane pack size on top of extremely tight tunnel on top of 60% more rare / magic enemies mod all piled together.
Last edited by mic01851165 on May 30, 2019, 8:09:29 AM
"
Verminaardth wrote:

Or everyone will be Jugg with 9 Endurance charges.

Okay, I'm really considering going that route
"
DAKKONx wrote:
Overall abit mixed about it but it does encourage proper timing of skills now.

You know as well as I do that you won't be able to time any of this to scenarios that matter. One random particle effect made of death in the sea of shit that goes on cannot be timed for. Big telegraphed attacks are easy to dodge as it is. GGG honestly thinks their always online latency fest can work with skills like this?

I'll just roll caster again cause right now melee doesn't seem like anything but an exercise in frustration and micromanagement.
Guess hardcore is gonna get alot more rippy now on red maps.

Seems like a huge nerf for us on HC and deep delvers on SC

But they haven't revaled everything yet, but im guessing the changes to ascendencys wont make up for this.

Well seems like it will be ES occultist and no melee char for me in legion.
Last edited by stagul on May 30, 2019, 10:35:20 AM
Interesting.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info