[3.6][SC] Ball Lightning Trickster - The Glass Ball Cannon

Intro: I been wanting to make a self-cast Ball Lighting build with the celestial MTX for awhile and figured this was the time to do it with the buffs to "Hand-Casting". Took me a bunch of tweaks but it was very satisfying coming up with my very own build that is not only fun but can clear everything in the game. This is my first guild so please give me feedback and I'll think about posting some other guides in the future :)

PoB
Spoiler
I'm 91 so I added the last point in here which is my next jewel slot.

https://pastebin.com/qmY9vpr9

Gems & Links:
Spoiler
Ball Lightning + Added Lighting + Unleash + Slower/Faster Projectiles + Energy Leech + Faster Caster or Increased Critical Damage

Orb Of Storms + Power Charge On Critical + Onslaught

Zealotry + Wrath + Herald of Thunder + Discipline

Blasphemy + Wrath

Cast When Damage Taken + Immortal Call + Increased Duration + Desecrate

Item Explanations:
Spoiler
Shimmeron Wands give us amazing DPS with the downside of taking damage per second if you crit recently (we crit a lot). There are a number of ways to counter this damage, I went with a Berek's Grip so that I could use Conductivity as my curse. Ball Lightning uses a lot of mana so I countered this with the Devouring Diadem which allows me to reserve all my mana, it also helps with the damage that we take from shimmeron. Circle of regret allows us to squeeze discipline in which combine nicely with a zealotry/discipline Watchers eye I got for cheap. Command of the Pit allows us to get arcane surge since we don't spend mana. Carcass Jack gives our Ball Lightning Extra AoE which is critical to clear and how many times ball lightning hits targets (150 ms CD). Bottle Faith isn't necessary, you could run with a wise oak for a decent amount of damage and way cheaper.

Item Prices:

Spoiler
These were the prices of the gear I used which is pretty cheap. Bottle Faith, command of the pit and the 6L aren't necessary. A cheap 6 link you can find with shaper gloves faster casting/Slower Proj for 30-60c depending on what stats you want on them.

Simmeron's 5c
Carcass Jack 5L 30c
Lightning Impresence 5c
Berek's Grip 7c
Circle of Regret 5c
Leather Belt (Self Found)
Boots 24c
Watcher's eye 60c
Devouring Diadem 40c
Command of the Pit 1.1ex
Bottle Faith 4ex

Gear:
Spoiler

Bandits:
Spoiler
Alira Or Kill All

Trickster Ascendancy
Spoiler
1. Swifter Killer, 2. Ghost Dance, 3. Escape Artist, 4. Harness the Void

Videos:
Last edited by BringerofMourn on Mar 30, 2019, 4:54:57 PM
Last bumped on May 14, 2019, 9:04:19 AM
This seems a nice build, what about maps clear speed?... I would like to see your videos soon, is more a tank build or a glass cannon?... Thanks...
Clear speed is solid, definitely more glass cannon since you're constantly taking damage from Shimmerons. You want to go as fast as possible so you're constantly leeching.
Videos posted! Uber video will soon be up.
Uber video uploaded
Really nice guide. :) I have a question tho. Why you dont use GMP and is it possible to use cause i think i would enjoy it more with more projectiles and just swap gems before harder boss fights.
"
EtDictum wrote:
Really nice guide. :) I have a question tho. Why you dont use GMP and is it possible to use cause i think i would enjoy it more with more projectiles and just swap gems before harder boss fights.

Because ball lightning doesn't actually overlap with GMP. There is a 150 MS internal cooldown on the Ball Lighting procs (they are the little zaps that come out of the ball and hit stuff in the area around it) so you gain no benefit with extra projectiles. It works with Unleash and Spell Echo because it's a repeat of the cast so each ball can proc, so you want as much area as possible vs projectiles.

An example is Uber Elder video I linked, while my dps says only 350k on PoB on my configuration with enough area your 1 ball can proc 5-6 times with slower projectiles by the time the target is outside the ball area of effect vs. if I shot out 5 balls with GMP they share the same internal CD so only 1 of those 5 balls would proc every 150 ms.

Hope that makes sense?
Last edited by BringerofMourn on Apr 1, 2019, 1:55:46 PM

Hi, this build seems to be a lot of fun.
What the pantheon, you are using.
could tell you a bit about leveling
"
fgpitfall636 wrote:

Hi, this build seems to be a lot of fun.
What the pantheon, you are using.
could tell you a bit about leveling

Major Soul of Arakaali for the reduced damage taking or Soul of solaris

Minor Soul of Ryslatha

Leveling just pick up normal things like a tabi and duel axioms, then a heartbreaker at 50.

I leveled with stormburst till I got ball lightning.

That's pretty much it :)
This build actually looks amazing and I think I'm going to definitely try it, could you please just elaborate a little bit more on the leveling part?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info