[3.6] Tai's Vixen-Bane Occultist | From league start to endgame

Changelog and updates

Will be updated as the build progresses, need to fill out gearing options for CI and MoM/EB

Update: 18/03/2019: Defeated Atziri, completed most yellow maps. Made some notes regarding this.

Update: 14/03/19: I'm an idiot and forgot a bunch of stuff. Added auras and some extra notes around the place.

Preamble
When I saw the unique gloves Vixen's Entrapment spoiled before the league, I knew I was going to build around that pair of gloves and so I put together a few ideas on what skills might work well with self cast curses.

Originally the plan was to level with either winter orb or storm brand, but with the nerfs of those skills alongside the reveal of Bane/Soulrend, some adjustments were made to level with blight/contagion until I could use those skills.

Currently I'm level 85 in the league, completed campaign in under 12 hours, and am completing yellow maps on a four link. This is somewhat faster than last league, but I was held back a fair bit due to some ongoing wrist issues meaning I've had to take more breaks than usual.

While leveling I found something I think some people might not realize upfront:

Bane is a curse and will proc Vixen's Entrapment

This means we have the ability to socket up to four curses in our gloves and then up to another 5 with our Bane in order to have 9 curses cast with one skill. This is likely going to be far from ideal Dps wise (Bane is most efficient with 1 curse, and 4 supports), but is something to note.

Bane vs Soulrend/ED Contagion

Bane vs Soulrend:
This mostly comes down to playstyle, I personally prefer bane, though I did try both through the leveling process and may try it again later in the league or in future leagues. Personally, I also think that you're better off playing a Trickster if you're going a pure Soulrend build as this one is mostly using Occultist for the curse related synergy.

Bane vs Contagion:
Bane has a much larger AoE, but doesn't spread like contagion does which means you're sometimes left with a few mobs left alive if you don't cover the whole pack with your first cast. This isn't too much of an issue due to the cast speed of Bane, as well as the addition of Profane Bloom from Occultist.

The main thing here, is that Contagion doesn't proc our curses when cast, which bane does. There's no reason not to level as contagion until you're ready to switch to endgame gearing.

Pros & Cons

Pro's
  • Great AoE without Inc AoE or heavy investment
  • Easy and fast application of multiple curses without reserving mana
  • Solid clearing Dps
  • Solid league starter

Con's
  • Sometimes have stragglers left of packs if not aimed well
  • Boss damage isn't amazing
  • Damage isn't instantaneous, and rares especially stick around for a few seconds.

Defensive Mechanics

Our main defense is ~8k ES which is supplemented by the following:
  • Temporal Chains and Enfeeble on virtually all enemies
  • Immortal call on a CWDT
  • 0.8% Spell leech from our gloves, can easily invest into more from the tree or on gear
  • Malediction means our cursed enemies deal 10% less damage

Bosses Downed

Killed regular Atziri yesterday, took all my portals because I didn't realize she reflected curses. You'll want to swap out Vixen's Entrapment, and trade Bane for another damage skill in this boss fight. I recommend leveling a soulrend in an offhand if you're not running one in your main setup.

Leveling

Leveling is pretty straight forward, you pick up blight from Tarkliegh at the start and then contagion until you can get Bane in act 3.

You can check out RaizQT's trickster ED/Contagion video

Though it's for a different skill/class, you'll be leveling in a similar way and looking for similar stuff in the earlier levels.

Keep in mind the +1 to socketed chaos gems vendor recipe as it's super strong:
[A magic wand], and a [chaos gem]

Skill Tree & Pantheons

While I went CI, MoM/EB is also a very strong build this league. The pastebin has trees for both, alongside a general leveling tree.

https://pastebin.com/AN7k0TZJ

Ascendancy

Profane Bloom provides a bit extra dps and helps clear large packs that our Bane doesn't entirely cover. But most importantly it lets us ignore Hexproof on maps and Nemesis mobs.

Wicked Ward and Vile Bastion give us a smooth transition into CI, as well as some QoL with removing recharge disruption and stun immunity.

Malediction gives us some extra dps and survivability, and an extra curse.

If you're not going CI or LL, you can drop Wicked Ward/Vile Bastion in favor for the extra dps of Void Beacon and Withering Presence. The latter frees up three sockets as you no longer need a wither totem setup.

Pantheon

Pantheons are super flexible and up to the individual. I personally go with Lunaris as my major for the MS and damage reduction because I play pretty forward, and Ralakesh as the minor for the reduction in bleed and eventually maim immunity.

Skills

In order of importance, highest level unless specified:

Bane > Efficacy > Controlled Destruction > Void Manipulation > Curse > Swift Afliction
Our main damage link, you can have any curse in here your other curses should all be socketed in your gloves.

Despair > Enfeeble > Temporal Chains > Poacher's Mark > Warlord's Mark
Poacher's Mark grants frenzy charges which is a pretty decent boost to damage. Warlord's Mark grants endurance charges and life/mana leech, but has a high str requirement which can make gearing difficult if you're on a budget. Feel free to add in other curses if you're grouping with people, but these are the ones that benefit your build.

Vixen's and our tree/Ascendancy gives us 4 curses, if you're wanting to run more than that; you'll want to look into items on this page

Discipline > Malevolence > Clarity > Enlighten
Clarity isn't required, but we have enough mana left over even without a leveled enlightened to cast all our spells ad-nauseam. Other options here include Haste or Grace for MoM based builds.

Wither > Spell Totem > Multiple Totems
Drop these to boost damage on tough enemies. You can skip this if you end up taking the Withering Presence Ascendancy node.

Flame Dash > Faster Casting > Arcane Surge [lvl 5]
We want arcane surge to be lvl 5 here to proc every time on flame dash granting us a little bit of spell damage and cast speed.

Immortal Call [lvl 3] > Cast with Damage Taken [lvl 1] > Increased Duration (Optional) > Desecrate [lvl 7] (Optional)
This gives us a short burst of phys invulnerability when hit by porcupines and such and prevents us getting 1-shot by such. Cast with damage taken at 1 to proc as often as possible, which can trigger linked gems up to a level required of 38, which is why we don't want IC to be higher than a level 3 gem. Increased Duration here is optional, but recommended. If you have a Devouring Diadem, I highly recommend adding Desecrate to your CWDT setup as this will provide a method of corpse generation against bosses and provide some semi-reliable sustain.

Items and Gearing

You'll want to make sure that you cap your resistances (Ideally 40% over cap to ignore Elemental Weakness map mods).

Current Gear

Still early league, still fairly budget.

Weapon Slots

Mainhand: Imbued wand with the affix "#% to Non-Ailment Chaos Damage over Time Multiplier", other things to look for are "#% Increased Spell Damage" and "#% Increased Damage over Time".

Other options include a Bow with "+1 to socketed Gems", "+2 to socketed supports" "#% Non-Ailment Chaos Damage over Time" and "Trigger a socketed spell when you use a skill". This lets you put a 6L ED in your bow, and have it cast off your Bane cast, as well as giving you access to a quiver such as Soul Strike or one crafted with resists/dexterity.

For more details, the weapons section of Tarkecat's video on his Soulrend is relevant to this build.

Stuff to look for (CI)

Body Armour: A Vaal Regalia crafted with dense fossils is going to be BiS here.

Gloves: Vixen's Entrapment are our primary choice here, and the item we're building around.

Boots: Rainbowstride, Sin Trek or rare boots with better MS and ES values. For the most part Sin Trek will be the best choice here as it provides decent ES as well as a good amount of dex, which this build needs.

Helmet: Doedre's Scorn is a good option here, especially if you're still on a four link for your Bane setup as the +2 levels are pretty nice for our damage.
Replace with a rare helm with better ES if you feel like your damage is high enough.

Rings: Mostly for fixing resists, they don't really have any great affixes for us outside of the stuff you can craft; "#% faster start of ES recharge" is a good choice for open prefixes.

Amulet: Flat and % ES, as well as resists. Chase would be a good Essence of Envy crafted amulet.

Stuff to look for (MoM)

Body Armour: A variety of uniques are viable in this slot, you'll likely want to go for either pure evasion or hybrid evasion/es chests such as Kintsugi, Perfect Form, or Queen of the Forest. Carcass Jack only increases the AoE by about 1 unit and the area damage doesn't scale Bane. Eternity Shroud is a new item, but would work really well here if you can get shaper items in each slot. Restless ward synergizes well with our frenzy/endurance charge generation.

Gloves: Vixen's Entrapment are our primary choice here, and the item we're building around.

Boots: Anything with life/mana/reists is good here, dex here if you need it. Unique options include Sin Trek and Atziri's Step.

Helmet: Alpha's Howl, Starkonja's Head are both good options if you can't afford a Devouring Diadem. Diadem is BiS here as it allows us to drop the EB nodes on the tree.

Rings: Dream fragments is a good choice if you can't get "Cannot be Frozen" on your boots. Otherwise just life/mana/resists on rare rings is good here.

Amulet: Life/Mana/reists on rares. You'll likely be using this slot to fill out missing attribute requirements as well, especially if you're running Warlord's Mark Chase would be a good Essence of Envy crafted amulet.

Jewels

Conqueror's Potency is a good choice, and you'll get one through the campaign.

Otherwise rare jewels with the following affixes in order of priority

• PREFIX: #% Increased Max Life/ES
  • SUFFIX: #% to Non-Ailment Chaos Damage over Time Multiplier
  • SUFFIX: #% Increased Damage over Time
  • PREFIX: #% Increased Chaos Damage
  • PREFIX: #% Faster Start of ES Recharge
  • SUFFIX: #% Increased Chaos Damage (Fossil Crafted)

Desirable Watcher's Eye affixes:
  • #% of Maximum Mana as Extra Maximum Energy Shield while affected by Clarity
  • #% increased Energy Shield Recovery Rate while affected by Discipline
  • #% of Maximum Energy Shield Regenerated per Second while affected by Discipline
  • #% to Non-Ailment Chaos Damage over Time Multiplier while affected by Malevolence
  • #% increased Recovery rate of Life and Energy Shield while affected by Malevolence

Last edited by Tyriuth on Mar 17, 2019, 11:50:07 AM
Last bumped on Apr 18, 2019, 12:10:31 AM
hey thanks for the build.

if i'm running 4 curses is it better to leave one linked with bane, or have all 4 curses in the gloves and use nothing but support gems with bane?

thanks again.
Last edited by DrawingFlies on Mar 17, 2019, 2:30:46 PM
"
DrawingFlies wrote:

if i'm running 4 curses is it better to leave one linked with bane, or have all 4 curses in the gloves and use nothing but support gems with bane?

thanks again.

The top dps links for bane are, in order:

1) Efficacy (48.4%)
2) a single curse (47%)
3) controlled destruction (44%, no drawback)
4) swift affliction (44%, 15% reduced dueation though)
5) void manipulation (39%)

Special) empower. Can be anywhere between low 20ish% to almost 100% more depending on the item it's in (ie, a rank 3 empower is trash, a rank 4 empower with +1 all gems / +2 support gems is over 100% more though)

TL:DR
If you want bane to deal damage always use 1 curse - and only 1 curse - linked to bane. Rest in your gloves.
"
Gravedancer wrote:
"
DrawingFlies wrote:

thanks again.

The top dps links for bane are, in order:

1) Efficacy (48.4%)
2) a single curse (47%)
3) controlled destruction (44%, no drawback)
4) swift affliction (44%, 15% reduced dueation though)
5) void manipulation (39%)

Special) empower. Can be anywhere between low 20ish% to almost 100% more depending on the item it's in (ie, a rank 3 empower is trash, a rank 4 empower with +1 all gems / +2 support gems is over 100% more though)

TL:DR
If you want bane to deal damage always use 1 curse - and only 1 curse - linked to bane. Rest in your gloves.

Thanks !!

should i get energy within jewels or save for other gears?
Last edited by DrawingFlies on Mar 17, 2019, 4:28:07 PM
Hey,

Nice build, I'm trying it out right now. Having alot of fun :)
Been playing around in PoB to see if I could fit a single target spell like ED or Soulrend...

Anyways, I wondered how you can apply 5 curses.
I count 1 from base, 1 from tree, 1 from ascendancy, 1 from vixen = 4 curses top.
Where does the 5th one comes from ?

Cheers
Bayux
"
Bayux wrote:
Hey,

Nice build, I'm trying it out right now. Having alot of fun :)
Been playing around in PoB to see if I could fit a single target spell like ED or Soulrend...

Anyways, I wondered how you can apply 5 curses.
I count 1 from base, 1 from tree, 1 from ascendancy, 1 from vixen = 4 curses top.
Where does the 5th one comes from ?

Cheers
Bayux

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Curse#Curse_limit

also the spell leech from the gloves doesn't work with bane right?
Last edited by DrawingFlies on Mar 18, 2019, 9:52:01 PM
I just have a quick question concerning poacher's mark in the gloves. I have yet to see any frenzy charges but I do see poacher's mark used but no frenzy charges. Any ideas? Thanks.
"
Lou5yGam3r wrote:
I just have a quick question concerning poacher's mark in the gloves. I have yet to see any frenzy charges but I do see poacher's mark used but no frenzy charges. Any ideas? Thanks.
you're missing the +1 curse node in the top left of the tree. ;)
"
DrawingFlies wrote:
"
Lou5yGam3r wrote:

With the Vixen's Entrapment gloves it should give me +1 curse to trigger the Poacher's Mark...am I reading that correctly?
"
Lou5yGam3r wrote:
"
DrawingFlies wrote:
"
Lou5yGam3r wrote:

With the Vixen's Entrapment gloves it should give me +1 curse to trigger the Poacher's Mark...am I reading that correctly?
you have 3 curses equiped. so you need +2 max curses.
you need the +1 from gloves, and +2 from passives "Whispers of Doom" and "Malediction", none of which you have allocated.
Last edited by DrawingFlies on Mar 19, 2019, 4:37:27 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info