[3.6] Binks' Vaal Double Strike Ichimonji Champion - Extremely Budget Friendly

Introduction:

Welcome to my build guide exile!

This is a beginner friendly, ssf and hc viable league starter that is extremely cheap to gear and progress throughout the game with. Despite negative connotations to the melee playstyle this build is very well rounded and destroys content!

Pros & Cons:

Pros:
• Massive single target damage
• Fast clear speed
• Solid defenses
• Great league starter
• Extremely cheap
• Melee playstyle

Cons:
• None really...

Basic Overview:
Spoiler

Core Fundamentals:
This build heavily focuses on the passive skill tree nodes and synergy with the Champion ascendancy. We dual wield the Ichimonji Corsair Sword but is not required at all. The reason for this is the amazing benefits we gain at such an affordable price. Prior to obtaining one simply use any one-handed sword that yields a high amount of attack speed and physical attack damage.

Almost all of your items will be rare which makes gearing your character very flexible. The only unique items I would strongly recommend are Tombfist Steelscale Gauntlets and Starkonja's Head Silken Hood. With that being said none of these unique items are required as well. Focus on capping your elemental resistances and getting life! Most of our damage from this build will scale nicely into the late game from our passive skill tree sword and critical strike chance/multi nodes.

Stat Priority:
While progressing throughout the game simply acquire whichever stats you feel you are currently lacking.

• Life
• Elemental resistances
• Physical damage
• Attack speed
• Critical strike chance
• Critical strike multiplier
• Accuracy

Flasks:
Your flasks are a crucial component to this build. Ideally you should aim to have them up at all times during combat. I would recommend using a Sulphur Flask prior to a Lion's Roar Granite Flask until you feel your damage is high enough to avoid constantly pushing back packs of enemies.

Passive Skill Tree:
Spoiler
Path of Building Pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/8ad1nQWt

Note: We don't get any life or mana leech on the tree! We can save these skill points by using Blood Rage for life leech and obtaining 0.4% of attack damage leeched as mana on one of our rings.

Bandits:
Kill all of them.

Ascendancy:
Spoiler
Normal Labyrinth:
Unstoppable Hero

Cruel Labyrinth:
Conqueror

Merciless Labyrinth:
Worthy Foe

Eternal Labyrinth:
First to Strike, Last to Fall

Note: We get a huge damage power spike from Normal and Merciless Labyrinth!

Gems:
Spoiler
Vaal Double Strike:
Vaal Double Strike, Melee Physical Damage, Multistrike, Ancestral Call, Melee Splash.

Your 6th-link will depend on your gloves! If you have Tombfist Steelscale Gauntlets then Maim is more ideal. Otherwise go for Increased Critical Strikes.

Mobility:
Whirling Blades, Faster Attacks, Blood Magic, Fortify.

Whirling Blades is personal preference, feel free to use Leap Slam.

Defense:
Cast When Damage Taken, Immortal Call, Vulnerability, Increased Duration.

Auras:
Herald of Ash, War Banner, Hatred.

Miscellaneous:
Ancestral Protector, Blood rage, Ice Golem.

Leveling:
Spoiler
General Advice:
Leveling with this build is a very smooth throughout the acts, even without unique items. Most power spikes come from naturally progressing through the game. Once you start getting a couple skill points and complete normal lab you will breeze through the rest of the story.

Leveling Gems:
There are many different skills you can use to level with but I prefer to use Double Strike right off the beach!

A 4-link setup with Double Strike and decent swords will get you going!
Double Strike + Chance to Bleed + Ancestral Call + Melee Splash.

Note: Try to get Vaal Double Strike as soon as possible.

Once you've traveled to the first sword wheel and taken the Razor's Edge node we can unsocket Chance to Bleed and swap it for Melee Physical Damage. This allows us to continue to inflict bleed on targets to benefit from Double Strikes bonus damage against bleeding enemies.

Act 2:
Get Herald of Ash and Herald of Ice. These auras will give you a huge damage boost and help your clear speed. Also grab Blood rage for more attack speed!

Act 3:
Try to Ascend as soon as possible! The increased melee damage and attack speed from Unstoppable Hero is very helpful. Make sure you link Fortify onto Whirling Blades or Leap Slam to make use of these benefits.

Act 4:
Around this time you should be looking to get yourself a 5-link. Once obtained slot Multistrike for a massive damage boost.

Useful Uniques:
Redbeak Rust Sword
BlackHeart Iron Ring
Wanderlust Wool Shoes
Goldrim Leather Cap
Meginord's Girdle

Videos:
Spoiler
T4 Beach Map
https://youtu.be/eJgN8PULELY

Note: I'll upload more gameplay of higher tier maps as I progress through the Synthesis league.
Last edited by Binks1 on Mar 16, 2019, 12:04:21 AM
Last bumped on Jun 12, 2019, 3:39:38 AM
Great guide, for me whats only missing is that what your gear should look like, but its ok. For me 9/10.
Basically the same as this guide just with offensive auras
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2087746
How your build is able to face endgame content? Is it only a good league starter? How much you need to modify if so?

Tkx in advance
Last edited by GrandChampion on Mar 13, 2019, 1:58:55 PM
"
GregoryPOE wrote:

Well i belive he said in the video, that his build is more defencive, like on this build i see more gems for dealing dmg
would this build work with Gladiator?
"
Amitos wrote:
Great guide, for me whats only missing is that what your gear should look like, but its ok. For me 9/10.

Thanks, I'm going to add more details to the guide soon!

Usually the rest of your gear will just have basic defensive stats like elemental resistances and life. You also are going to need to get a good bit of intelligence somewhere. A lapis amulet will help here a lot. Feel free to message me if you have any questions as I continue to work on the guide!
"
lordon wrote:
would this build work with Gladiator?

Yes, it will. Although I prefer Champion! This makes our character very well rounded. We gain amazing defense and offensive stats with this ascendancy choice.
"
GrandChampion wrote:
How your build is able to face endgame content? Is it only a good league starter? How much you need to modify if so?

Tkx in advance

The build tackles end game content very well!

Once you start running higher tier maps and end game content you will definitely want to start gearing more seriously. The highlight of this build is you can clear most of the game on an extreme budget focusing on defensive gear stats, letting your ascendancy and passive skill tree carry your damage.

Your main sources of damage you should be focusing on late game come from Jewels, rings, amulet and weapons of course. Upgrading these can give you insane damage boosts!

Feel free to message me as I continue to add details to this guide.
"
GregoryPOE wrote:

Hank the Tank's build is very strong defensively. Not only does he use defensive auras like Grace and Determination, the build also differs in our skill tree and ascendancy options quite dramatically. He utilizes nodes such as Resolute Technique, Crimson Dance and Master of Metal. None of which would benefit us.

This build however focuses on huge damage scaling from the passive skill tree. Most notably critical strike chance/multi and sword nodes, while offering moderate defenses.

I'll add some videos to the guide shortly to display how powerful and quick the build truly is capable of!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info