New soundtrack is a bit hit and miss. sorry Kamil

I like the new soundtrack for the acts 1-2, but in act 3 most tracks were better in my opinion.

By the way the mysterious theme is very similar to one classic russian song of 1960th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHaP_S2Yfwk

Sorry for that :)
Give us the option to switch between classic and new OST please!
Last edited by Außenseiter on Mar 14, 2019, 3:32:18 AM
I just don't get it. The game had some tracks that could stand replacing or shifting around, but changing the classic first act songs, including the beautiful piece that played in the hub where you learn how the game works - what is this?

The first three hubs, along with many questing areas including what arguably were the most interesting and iconic songs in the game - The Ledge, Old Fields, and The Warehouse District. Beautiful and uniquely textured tracks all replaced by songs that are almost indistinguishable from each other, like one of those algorithmic Brian Eno apps, except instead of making up random Brian Eno songs it makes up random Gladiator songs, because the world still hasn't had enough of that. What was once a varied and satisfying range of atmospheres is now an endless beige nightmare about Lut Gholein.

Last edited by einexile on Mar 16, 2019, 4:28:12 PM
To be fair, some of the new tracks are great.
Among the ones I mentioned in OP, Shakari fight theme is something I love more each time I listen to it.
exceptional and captures the theme of the fight perfectly.
I'm also enjoying Twilight Strand. It has a Tristram vibe to it.

Dominus is a good theme as well.

But that Lunaris Temple compared to what it was previously (one of my favorite stage themes in the entire game).
And Piety.
And the softening of Malachai's fkn awesome boss music...
that wasn't necessary.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Mar 17, 2019, 4:27:02 PM
Instead of replacing music that plays in several instances, they could have just replace repeating music.
Like Solaris Temple, Bath House and Ivory Temple all use the same music.
Why remove one to replace it with new one in all three, if you could just un-duplicate them?
Keep Solaris Temple track in Solaris Temple (duh) and put new track in Bath House.
Was that too hard?
"
Außenseiter wrote:
Instead of replacing music that plays in several instances, they could have just replace repeating music.
Like Solaris Temple, Bath House and Ivory Temple all use the same music.
Why remove one to replace it with new one in all three, if you could just un-duplicate them?
Keep Solaris Temple track in Solaris Temple (duh) and put new track in Bath House.

Completely agree. Solaris temple theme was one of my favourite songs from the OST.
As is.. poe soundtrack is below average. I dont care if its average, good or great.. But I do see poe soundtrack as below average.

Main reasons:
screeching sounds
ear scraching sounds
too much singing
lots and lots of natural instruments artificially sharpened.

All above mentioned examples are plentiful in poe and they are so damn tiring and heavy on ears.

I had an idea of compiling all examples into one.. Might do when I get bored.

"
Außenseiter wrote:
Give us the option to switch between classic and new OST please!

I agree on this one fully.

Also ggg should track how many people disable music at all. That would be useful for them.
Poe 2.0 new trailers when?
Last edited by webas on Jun 14, 2019, 2:46:24 PM
Honestly I feel the older acts have lost almost all of the atmosphere and drama that they used to have - the change to the music isn't the sole cause of it, but it's a part of it.

The music throughout acts 1-3 all sounds very...samesy, with a lot of unnecessary droning and no particularly notable features to differentiate zones or make me say I like/dislike one any more than the others. It's also baffling to me, considering the music for 6-8 on the other hand is absolutely fantastic (the fields music, oh my god the fields music).

Probably the one area track I can say with absolute certainty that I like is the new submerged passage/cavern of anger theme. I do like the tie-in with the Merveil theme - maybe wish it was a little more obvious - and that theme itself is also excellent.

Just my thoughts on the matter. Like I said the new music doesn't totally kill the atmosphere by itself as there are a lot of other factors that are currently doing so, but it definitely detracts from the previous experience in my opinion.
"
Mythologicus wrote:
Honestly I feel the older acts have lost almost all of the atmosphere and drama that they used to have - the change to the music isn't the sole cause of it, but it's a part of it.

The music throughout acts 1-3 all sounds very...samesy, with a lot of unnecessary droning and no particularly notable features to differentiate zones or make me say I like/dislike one any more than the others. It's also baffling to me, considering the music for 6-8 on the other hand is absolutely fantastic (the fields music, oh my god the fields music).

Probably the one area track I can say with absolute certainty that I like is the new submerged passage/cavern of anger theme. I do like the tie-in with the Merveil theme - maybe wish it was a little more obvious - and that theme itself is also excellent.

Just my thoughts on the matter. Like I said the new music doesn't totally kill the atmosphere by itself as there are a lot of other factors that are currently doing so, but it definitely detracts from the previous experience in my opinion.

I suspect they aren't great because they were rushed to sort out whatever issue they had to solve getting rid of the old music. Additionally, the remix of several of the themes from the current composer I believe may have been rooted in a "change for change's sake". Furthermore, criticism of the music isn't well received as I've noticed negative comments being deleted off of the composer's YouTube channel on the Legion soundtrack video... And yes the old atmosphere is gone and the change of music plays a large part in that for me.
"
ssm016 wrote:
"
Mythologicus wrote:

I suspect they aren't great because they were rushed to sort out whatever issue they had to solve getting rid of the old music. Additionally, the remix of several of the themes from the current composer I believe may have been rooted in a "change for change's sake". Furthermore, criticism of the music isn't well received as I've noticed negative comments being deleted off of the composer's YouTube channel on the Legion soundtrack video... And yes the old atmosphere is gone and the change of music plays a large part in that for me.

I have noticed in the past that a handful of old tracks have been used elsewhere outside of PoE - most notably I recall watching a random documentary about the true story behind the Hunt for Red October and out of absolutely nowhere, I heard the Chamber of Sins theme. To say I was caught off guard would be an understatement. I suppose it poses a kind of weird situation for GGG when people start asking questions about where they sourced their music from and why it's turning up in other areas, and it's a better image to just have their own entirely bespoke soundtrack.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info