[3.6] Hand Casting Storm Call | Elementalist/Occultist | League start | Big update

Introduction

Hello, I am Kevic. This is my Hand Casting Storm Call Elementalist/Occulist.

Twitch
Youtube
Twitter

3.6 Update
Path of Building has been updated with the skill tree I intend on using for league start for 3.6 synthesis.

Storm Call Changes
Spoiler

Storm Call
Mana Cost at gem level 20 is now 16 (was 19).
Now deals 16 to 31 Lightning damage at gem level 1 (from 13 to 24) and 408 to 758 Lightning damage at gem level 20 (from 341 to 633).
Now has an added damage effectiveness of 100% (from 80%).

What in the world does this build do?

This build is designed to be a safe and strong league start while being able to scale extremely well late game with potential to change into multiple different styles of the same build.

There are two general forms to this build: Life Eldritch Battery & CI Occultist - I will be starting as the LIFE/EB version then converting to the CI Occultist as I gather more gear and money

==============================================================================

Pros
+Elemental reflect immune
+Elementalist Ascendancy gives us massive defensive/offensive boosts
+Clears effectively and looks cool as HECK
+Can do all content!

Cons
-Take a bit to used to the playstyle of the spell.
-Unleash adds a new layer of complexity for positioning.

How it Works

We are utilizing the fact that GGG buffed hand casting and storm call is one hell of a hand casted ability. The buffs it gained along with new skill tree passives and support gems make this skill really enticing and strong.

Skills

Storm Call - Sets a marker at a location. After a short duration, lightning strikes the marker, dealing damage around it. When this happens, it will also set off the lightning at any other markers you've cast. This allows us to abuse the new support gem unleash for an even more intense spell echo and gives us more reliable burst segments that do not require Vaal Storm Call.

Damage Skills

Storm Call - Main damage ability

Vaal Storm Call - Boss/Betrayal/Red Beast mob killer ability in conjunction with Vaal Righteous Fire

Storm Brand - Applying Curse + Elemental Overload Proc during early stages of character/league

New Support Gem

Unleash - Supports spell skills, making their effect reoccur when cast. Cannot support skills with cooldowns, triggered skills, Brand skills, Vaal skills, channeling skills, skills which reserve mana, or skills used by totems, traps, or mines. Cannot modify the skills of minions.

This translates to an effective 3 times critical strike on a 3 stacked spell. You gain a charge every .71 seconds you do not cast a spell which then translates to a 3 charges spell every 2.13 seconds. The downside to this gem is that it does not add a More multiplier but instead is a more "active" support gem similar to Great Multiple Projectiles. In practice this adds a really nice quality of life for us clearing packs in maps because it will generally clear whatever mobs you place the spell on. Now in practice this ability will not be consistently stacked to 3 but instead will be using 1 or 2 stacks unless you are walking away/around enemies.

TLDR: Unleash is theoretically a 3 times critical strike BEFORE calculating crit chance every 2.13 seconds.

Gear

Chest
Spoiler

Carcass Jack is amazing for this build as it gives us area damage and area effect ALONG with good defensive stats of All resistance and life. I was lucky and finally 6-linked it and the QoL change was amazing. If you dont have the option i highly recommend using Tabula Rasa or a 6 link rare that gives decent stats.

Helmet
Spoiler

Two Crafting attempts with Pristine + Metallic combo. We didnt get the life roll on it so we could craft MORE resistances but we were able to craft some life.

Gloves
Spoiler

Amulets and Ring
Spoiler

Rares that fill in resistances/health. Potentially getting a warlords mark ring but that is expensive unfortunately!
Current:

Flasks
Spoiler

Wise Oak, Atziri Promise, Bottled Faith/Sulfur Flask/Diamond Flask, Cinderswallow - we have options finally.

Boots and Belt
Spoiler

Kaom's Roots

On rares we are looking for high resistance, at least 30% movement speed boots to fill resistance issues we have and Stygian Vise for the extra jewel slot along with more resistance gap filling.

Weapons

These are the weapons I used in my storm brand builds last league. I am aiming for similar stats on rare's in Synthesis[3.6] or I will just craft it on my own.
Staff

My reasoning is that it was a cheap upgrade but can eventually push into something insane for regular storm call.

Here is the search I used to find my staff but this can be used for daggers/wands as well! The only change is some of the values.
https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Synthesis/88QYBbhV

These daggers can we swapped with wands with similar mods.

Spoiler

I recommend starting with a the 40% Global Critical Strike (Fiend, Demon, Imp) for the lower cost end OR if you want to spend the money go for a 50% Global Critical Strike (Golden Kris, Platinum). Both of these Bases NEED to be at the very least SHAPED AND ilvl 83. ONCE AGAIN if you have the MONEY GO FOR A ilvl 85+ version

Wand Search
https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Betrayal/bDDqVaTL
For wands we ideally want the spell damage base (Prophecy, Opal) and we are looking for the specific mod Topotante which gives us Percentage Lightning damage and Lightning damage to spells in a combined mod. If you cannot find one with that specific mod I would focus on Lightning Damage to Spells/Light Damage Percentage, Critical Strike to Spells/Global Critical Strike

Ascendancy
Spoiler

Shaper of Desolation > Beacon of Ruin > Paragon of Calamity > Pendulum of Destruction

Gem Link
Spoiler

5B - 1R
Vaal Storm Call > Unleash Support > Added Lightning Damage Support > Controlled Destruction Support > Increased Critical Strike Support > Reduced Duration Support
Single Target/Boss Swap Added Lightning Damage support for
Concentrated Effect Support

Pantheon

Soul of Arakaali > Soul of Shakari

JEWELS

Jewel DPS Mod Tier List

1 - Critical Strike Chance/Critical Strike Multi
2 - Lightning Damage/Spell Damage
3 - Lightning Damage to Spells/Cold Damage to Spells
4 - Cast Speed
* - Increased Maximum Life - Both Flat and Percentage (IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT)

BANDITS
Alira or Kill All - Both are good

PATH OF BUILDING & SKILL TREE
Spoiler

This is my Path of Building link and I created skill trees for every 10 levels leading up to my current level. You can toggle through them by clicking the default menu on the tree screen in PoB at the bottom left of the screen and choosing whichever one you need.

Elementalist/Eldritch Battery - https://pastebin.com/Tk7Nfy3y - updated
Occultist/CI - https://pastebin.com/1FJNXuUm - This is the first draft. There WILL be changes to this tree as the league goes on!

Leveling Guide

Storm call is an ability that will feel lack luster until you get a 4-link. Unfortunately the skill needs a bit to get going but we are able to use skills that utilize the support gems while we get to that point in our characters progression! Storm Call ideally needs added cold -> added lightning -> Less duration for the skill to feel comparable to other skills you have access to. I suggest using arc or storm brand until you are able to use this link. Once you are able to do that, it takes a bit to get used to the movement and playstyle of the skill itself.

The reason we need to wait until a 4 link is because we want to be able to get the damage AND the less duration so we dont have to wait around for the skill the kill the mobs. Less duration gives us MORE DAMAGE but also gives us insane quality of life because it speeds up the explosion timer. When you are able to get your links in order the skill feels absolutely amazing for both packs and bosses. I usually dont have issues with bosses unless the map mods are particularly bad. I am figuring out what I can replace the warlords mark with and I am leaning towards conductivity VIA Impessence Onyx amulet.

Leveling Uniques
Spoiler

Lifesprig - wand - gives you all the stats you need to get going and casting your spells FAST.
Tabula Rasa - chest - 6 link white socket - makes your main skill basically 1 shot everything in the story
Goldrim Leather Cap - helmet - gives you some nice resistance
At level 38 replace Goldrim with The Gull - helmet - if you want to make your experience leveling more FUN
Wanderlust - boots - cannot be frozen, gives mana regen and Movement speed
Atziri Foible - amulet - gives us mana regen and lowers the gem stat requirement which could be very useful
Perandus Signet - ring - May be more expensive to get but it definitely helps the leveling process
Wurm's Molt - belt - stats and health

This is my Third Guide and I hope to continue to improve on presenting information for the community of Path of Exile!

Thanks for reading everything! If you like my content/guide please give me a follow for more of it!

Storm Brand Pathfinder Guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299346/
Storm Brand Assassin Guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2327386

Feel free to PM me in game
Twitch.tv/Kevic
Guide Forum posts: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2461277
Last edited by Kevic on Jun 12, 2019, 7:50:42 PM
Last bumped on Aug 6, 2019, 3:21:21 PM
I really like the Idea of your build I might give it a try as a league starter.
You wrote that you will be starting as the LIFE/EB version as Elementalist and later convert to CI Occultist.
Can you post a PoB link for that one too?
Last edited by McZuzlak on Mar 8, 2019, 3:24:36 AM
"
McZuzlak wrote:
I really like the Idea of your build I might give it a try as a league starter.
You wrote that you will be starting as the LIFE/EB version as Elementalist and later convert to CI Occultist.
Can you post a PoB link for that one too?

Hey Bud!

I have updated my PoB for Occultist! Check it out as a starting point BUT I will be changing it over the course of the league!

I will be streaming my league start of this build as well and post some of the VoD's on youtube!

Thanks again!
Twitch.tv/Kevic
the pastbin is kinda broken for me. No skills, no gear.
"
Nagon01 wrote:
the pastbin is kinda broken for me. No skills, no gear.

Yes so I made the PoB for the skill tree only because there were skills and support gems that where in it at the time. I also didnt know how I was going to gear up while leveling. It will be updated soon!

thanks again!
Twitch.tv/Kevic
Please keep updating, played a Storm Call char leagues and leagues ago, i'm curious to see what the skill can be with new supports and gear.
I'm interested in seeing this build develop and I'm playing it as my league starter this league. Keep us updated with all the changes you make :)
Really wondering how to make Storm Call as relevant as Arc while leveling. seems to be underwhelming unless im missing something major. Seems like w the buffs it should be doing fine but it isnt scaling near as well as Arc is.
"

Amulets and Ring
Spoiler
Impressence(lightning)/Choir of the Storm/Yoke of Suffering/solstice > Rare with spider/Beefy Talisman

Not sure what you mean by the Talisman? I tried looking talisman that had either text and nothing comes up?

Do you have any suggestion or search find like you did for the wands?
Last edited by LiamSky on Mar 10, 2019, 4:10:59 PM
wouldn't you want reduced duration to be one of the most important links to get first?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info