Settings not saving

also getting this

"My documents" is at the location "\\VORKOSIGAN\folders$\frymaster\My Documents"

could this also be why my minimap goes blank every time I transition between areas?

After running the game with procmon, I think these are the offending lines

http://pastebin.127001.org/1907
I have the same issue. The "My documents" Folder is located on D: as are all my media libraries and not on C: . Seems really to be related to redirected folders.

PS: Your game kicks ass. For free. Still can't believe the quality of this!
"
frymaster wrote:

could this also be why my minimap goes blank every time I transition between areas?

Same for me I thought it was normal. Could very well be related.
I share this problem.

My "My documents" is also redirected so this seems to be the root of the problem.

Any "work-around"?
Last edited by FilleMang on Jan 28, 2013, 10:00:04 PM
With this message i hope to get some new attention to this long lasting problem.

I recently started playing the game and with all server crashes aside, this is a very annoying bug for us 'redirect' share users. I really dont understand why this has been open for so long.

- ini gets written if %redirect%\My Games\Path Of Exile exists.
- Save button does change the properties given within the ini.
- Closing PoE does not overwrite it to the default.
- Starting the program writes the defaults back. (some mechanism/function)

Remind you, this has been open since April 2012.

Thanks in advance.
as a workaround:

Create "Path of Exile" folder in "My Documents\My Games\". Go into this folder in file explorer, click on the address bar, and make a note of the full address

Go to your "C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile" folder.

You should see a half-baked attempt at mimicking your redirected documents folder structure there. So for example, my documents are at "\\VORKOSIGAN\folders$\frymaster\My Documents" and I had a folder structure that went "C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\VORKOSIGAN\folders$\frymaster\My Documents\My Games\Path of Exile"

Move this to the root of the drive (so in my case I end up with "C:\VORKOSIGAN\folders$\frymaster\My Documents\My Games\Path of Exile" and delete the empty "Path of Exile" directory

Open up a command prompt and navigate to the "My Games" folder of this new structure.

Type:

"
mklink /d "Path of Exile" "that address you made a note of in step one"

(the quotes are important)

What that does is make a symlink (symbolic link, a special marker that tells the file system to go somewhere else) so that when the failcode tries to access your documents in totally the wrong place, it'll instead get sent on to the proper place. Tested and working for me, but it's a workaround, not a fix.
Great work, much appriciated!

Have spent hours with junctions and symlinks without any luck. Never even tought about looking into the program folder...

Thanks!
"
frymaster wrote:

You should see a half-baked attempt at mimicking your redirected documents folder structure there. So for example, my documents are at "\\VORKOSIGAN\folders$\frymaster\My Documents" and I had a folder structure that went "C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\VORKOSIGAN\folders$\frymaster\My Documents\My Games\Path of Exile"

Tried this but I dont have any mimicked documents folder at all. My game is installed on D:\Games\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile and my documents are located in D:\ Libraries\Max\My Documents.

This should be a very minor easy thing to fix especially if it's been known for so long..
"
Angroid wrote:
"
frymaster wrote:

Tried this but I dont have any mimicked documents folder at all. My game is installed on D:\Games\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile and my documents are located in D:\ Libraries\Max\My Documents.

This should be a very minor easy thing to fix especially if it's been known for so long..

hrm, try "mklink /d c:\Libraries d:\Libraries"

(assuming you don't have something on c: called Libraries also)

And the annoying thing is that the proper kind of access is used for saving the .ini file, just not for the check/create stage when the game is launched. (And the minimap also uses the wrong method)
Last edited by frymaster on Feb 1, 2013, 6:10:26 PM
Did this today and the symlink fixed my settings wipe issue, but not the mini map going blank on transitions. Is there a fix for this somewhere?
Last edited by AzaezelTsunami on May 27, 2013, 10:46:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info