Allocating Space slow under Linux: SOLVED

apt-get install eatmydata:i386

>> I tried to just copy/paste the code above into my ubuntu 13.04 terminal but it didn't work as I expected... I am not a Linux experienced user, so I didn't understand almost nothing about this topic :(

I opened the Wine UI and changed the Windows version from XP to Windows 7, and I also did some stuff I don't remember right now.

God dammit! I was having serious problems with Windows, the game was crashing all the time or, when not crashing, it was just login' out when I was moving from one map to another. I did all I could, but no results were good enough. Finally, I decided to install Linux, but now I am facing this problem. I AM GOING CRAZY!!! HEHEHE!!! I just wanna have some fun..

Can anyone put all that has been said here into a common language so I can understand and try to fix the problem?

Cheers

Fred
Oh, as some may have already noticed english isn't my first language, so it is even more difficult for me to understand all the technical debate that is going on! By common language I mean "simple, ordinary :)
If you want to just patch wine, you can get the fix here: http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2013-March/122783.html

You would need the wine source code, probably easily gotten with git, find the dlls/ntdll/virtual.c file and use the patch command to get the patch which you copied from the above hyperlink. You can find help for doing this in your language, whatever that is.

FeepingCreature solved the problem at the source, so we don't have to use workarounds like libeatmydata. I would recommend finding someone to help you install the wine patch. Or just wait until the wine developers incorporate it and you only need to install their latest release.
I believe this code was put into a special 1.5.28 version of wine for PlayOnLinux called 1.5.28-PathOfExile. This also leads me to believe that 1.5.29+ have the fix already, but I have not personally confirmed it.

So try 1.5.29 and see if it works for you, or use PlayOnLinux and have it use eith 1.5.29 or 1.5.28-PathOfExile.
Thank you very much for the trick!
I am downloading game's files after being blocked by this 'Allocation space' issue.
I am on Ubuntu 12.04, and I use wine 1.5.30.
I used LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libeatmydata/libeatmydata.so wine Client.exe
I am french, so my posts could be not write as well as I want. Don't hesitate to correct me, I like to learn by my own mistakes!
Seems to be working fine for me in Arch (64bit).

"
yaourt -S lib32-libeatmydata
WINEPREFIX=~/.local/share/wineprefixes/pathofexile LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libeatmydata.so wine /mnt/Games/Games/Path\ of\ Exile/Client.exe

It will throw a bunch of errors like the following but works anyway.
"
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libeatmydata.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libeatmydata.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

You might need to enable the multilib section in /etc/pacman.conf (not multilib-testing).
"
H3g3m0n wrote:
Seems to be working fine for me in Arch (64bit).

"
yaourt -S lib32-libeatmydata
WINEPREFIX=~/.local/share/wineprefixes/pathofexile LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libeatmydata.so wine /mnt/Games/Games/Path\ of\ Exile/Client.exe

It will throw a bunch of errors like the following but works anyway.
"

You might need to enable the multilib section in /etc/pacman.conf (not multilib-testing).

I have the same issue. I am on Debian Wheezy 64bit.

"
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libeatmydata/libeatmydata.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

Despite this error showing up, the allocation runs faster. I tried it without the prefix, which took a long time and after that using the prefix lead to much faster allocation. So I don't know why it shows me this error but is still working.
ololol
Last edited by digitalrevolution on Jul 10, 2013, 8:02:31 AM
I actually got both the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version, and I load them both. I see a lot of those errors pop up, but it's nothing to worry about. It still allocates faster.

If you'd like to avoid the error, you can run PlayOnLinux and use the special wine version 1.5.28-PathOfExile which has the proper wine fix patched in. It also might be available in later versions of wine, but I have not confirmed it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info