[3.6] Javelin Deadeye | Spectral Throw CoC Ice Spear | 4M+ Shaper dps

1. Introduction

Summary:
This build aims to combine the newly buffed Cast on Critical Strike Support with the many projectile synergies from the Deadeye ascendancy into a fast paced mapping character with respectable single target damage.

Pros:
- Fast clear speed
- Respectable bossing dps
- Active hit-and-run play style
- Strong sustain
- Playable on a budget with much room for investment

Cons:
- Susceptible to stunning hits, can't face tank endgame bosses

Stats (lvl 94, ~10 exalts):
- 7K life
- 10K evasion
- 40% attack dodge
- 46% spell dodge
- 4.4M Shaper dps (flasks up)
- 2.8M mapping dps (no flasks)

Inspiration:
I've tried playing Winter Orb with Cast While Channeling Ice Spear, but I wasn't all that impressed by Winter Orb. Ice Spear on the other hand did appeal to me, so I thought of other ways to incorporate it into a build. The name of this build is based of the simple idea that this build is 'spectral throwing ice spears' and throwing spears are called javelins.

2. Video's

3. Path of Building and Passive Tree

Copypasta for PoB:
https://pastebin.com/75SFNQ25

Lazy people link:
Passive tree

Bandits:
Help Alira

Pantheon:
Soul of Lunaris for the major pantheon, for the minor pantheon you can choose your own adventure.

4. Breakdown

Ascendancy:
That's right, this is a non-assassin Cast on Critical Strike build. Though it is certainly possible to play this build as an Assassin, there are several reasons why Deadeye prevails in this specific build.

Rupture is great for this build, as it allows you to apply bleed with Spectral Throw, enabling more critical strike bonuses as well as life gain on hit. The life gain on hit is quite significant considering the hit rate this build can accomplish, this is one reason to choose Deadeye over Assassin. Keep in mind that these bonuses apply to Ice Spear as well despite of its inability to cause bleeding.

Gathering Winds is just a generally great skill, which complements just about any build.

Fast and Deadly mainly doubles your accuracy, making it rather trivial to cap your hit rate and foregoing the need for Lycosidae, which many Assassins require.

Powerful Precision efficiently solves Ice Spear's only weakness: piercing nearby enemies. With Powerful Precision Ice Spear will pierce everything, allowing you to oneshot many packs and occasionally offscreen the unfortunate packs that happened to stand behind them.

Weapon:
As with any Cast on Critical Strike build, you want to have a weapon with high critical strike chance and if possible also attack speed and critical strike multiplier. Ideally you would want a 2h weapon with the Cast on Critical Strike mod to save yourself a socket. Alternatively you can us Beltimber Blades that forego the need for a Greater Multiple Projectile Support.

Helmet:
Starkonja's Head has lots of useful mods. Additionally it has the benefit of being enchanted alot, meaning that it's easier to buy one with a good enchantment. For this build you'll want to look for either of these helmet enchantments: "#% chance to gain a Power Charge on Critical Strike with Ice Spear" or "Ice Spear fires an additional Projectile" or "40% Increased Ice Spear Damage"

Amulet:
Pandemonius is a great amulet for this build, providing a lot of survivability as this build will chill anything it touches. This amulet can be quite expensive however and is by no means a requirement to play this build.

Flasks:
- Dying Sun
- Atziri's Promise
- The Wise Oak (make sure to balance your resistances accordingly)

Rares:
The remaining gear slots can be filled with rare items. Primarily you have to cap your elemental resistances with these items. Besides life and resistances, these are the mods you'll be looking for on each gear piece:
- Amulet and rings: Critical Strike Multiplier, Spell Damage, Cold Damage, Accuracy*, Attack Speed
- Boots: Movement Speed
- Gloves: Attack Speed, Accuracy*
- Belt: Cooldown Recovery Speed (can be crafted)
- Jewels (abyssal): Cold damage to Spells, Critical Strike Multiplier, Attack Speed

Mana sustain:
Make sure that you can apply Warlord's Mark on enemies in order to sustain your mana and life. This can be done either by having a ring with the mod "curse enemies with Warlord's Mark on hit" or by socketing a Warlord's Mark into a Mark of Submision.

5. Skill Setups

Main skill (6L):
- Spectral Throw* (level 1)
- Ice Spear*
- Cast on Critical Strike Support*
- Hypothermia Support
- Increased Critical Strikes Support*
- Greater Multiple Projectiles Support*

Movement skill (4L):
- Leap Slam/Whirling Blades*
- Fortify*
- Faster Attacks*
- Blood Magic

Auras (3L):
- Herald of Ice
- Zealotry
- Enlighten

Utility (4L):
- Vortex*
- Arcane Surge (level 8/9)
- Increased Duration*
- Bonechill

CWDT (4L):
- Cast When Damage Taken Support (level 1)
- Immortal Call (level 3)
- Summon Ice Golem (level 3)
- Frost Bomb (level 10)

If you have your main skill socketed in a weapon with the Cast on Critical Strike mod, you can add Cold Penetration Support as the 7th gem, or a level 4 Empower Support if you crafted "+2 level to socketed Support Gems" on your weapon.

*for these gems it is beneficial, but not strictly necessary, to maximize their gem quality.

7. Leveling

- Start leveling with Ice Shot
- Head for the Critical Strike nodes and pick up life nodes along the way
- Pick ascendencies in this order: Powerful Precision, Rupture, Fast and Deadly, Gathering Winds
- Transition to the Cast on Critical Strike Nodes when you have a Tabula Rasa and finished Merciless Labyrinth

8. Viability [WIP]

9. My Gear

10. Budgeting

As you can see, my gear was not very cheap, it is however possible to play this build on a budget. The most important of the expensive gear pieces are the Warlord's Mark ring and the 7L weapon.

The 7L weapon can simply be replaced by using a Tabula Rasa and a cheap weapon like Terminus Est. If you can afford a pair of Beltimber Blades, you can use these and replace Greater Multiple Projectiles Support with Cold Penetration Support.

The Warlord's Mark ring can be replaced by using a Mark of Submission with a Warlord's Mark gem.

11. FAQ's [WIP]

Last edited by davydavidsson on Mar 12, 2019, 4:54:14 PM
Last bumped on Jun 9, 2019, 10:38:04 AM
I would love to see your play video. I like the idea of ST and IS.
Passive tree and PoB is both broken still, any chance for any update?
"
Passive tree and PoB is both broken still, any chance for any update?

The current passive tree has only been updated in PoB as of this afternoon. I have now updated the PoB for this build. Good luck!

"
I would love to see your play video. I like the idea of ST and IS.

I'm currently playing on a potato that is not capable of recording footage of any quality, so I'm looking to see if I can get a friend to help me out with this. Stay tuned!
Would you recommend this build as a league starter? What would be a budget item set up? It would be also helpful to tell us what mods to look for in each equip slot
"
Would you recommend this build as a league starter? What would be a budget item set up? It would be also helpful to tell us what mods to look for in each equip slot

I think it's definitely playable as a league starter. I've just tried a budget setup with Terminus Est, Tabula Rasa, Mark of Submission (Warlord's Mark) and some resistance gear, and red tier maps were very much doable.
hey man im new to the game and really am looking foward to getting this build, any tips as to how i could get the specific gear?
"
hey man im new to the game and really am looking foward to getting this build, any tips as to how i could get the specific gear?

Unless you're playing in solo-self-found mode, there are trade sites that are commonly used to exchange currency items for gear; poe.trade and pathofexile.com/trade.

You should be able to get started with a Tabula Rasa, a Terminus Est, and a Mark of Submission (socket Warlord's Mark).

If you can't afford a Tabula Rasa, you can farm Humility; a divination card that gives you a Tabula Rasa if you hand in a set of 9. They can be found in the Blood Aquaduct (Act 9), or in the Channel map (Tier 3).

Good luck!
Last edited by davydavidsson on Mar 14, 2019, 5:02:09 PM
"
davydavidsson wrote:
"

Unless you're playing in solo-self-found mode, there are trade sites that are commonly used to exchange currency items for gear; poe.trade and pathofexile.com/trade.

You should be able to get started with a Tabula Rasa, a Terminus Est, and a Mark of Submission (socket Warlord's Mark).

If you can't afford a Tabula Rasa, you can farm Humility; a divination card that gives you a Tabula Rasa if you hand in a set of 9. They can be found in the Blood Aquaduct (Act 9), or in the Channel map (Tier 3).

Good luck!

hey man thanks for taking the time to reply, i have another question, for the beltimber swords, it can only support 3 sockets, how do i remedy this problem?
"
hey man thanks for taking the time to reply, i have another question, for the beltimber swords, it can only support 3 sockets, how do i remedy this problem?

It is not necessary to socket skills into a weapon in order to use the skill. The reason that I do it, is because my weapon has modifiers that benefit socketed gems. When using Beltimber Blades, you would preferably socket your main skill setup into your body armour with 6 linked sockets. For this purpose, Tabula Rasa is the easiest to acquire 6 linked body armour. If you share a PoB link of your character, I can perhaps suggest some adjustments.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info