Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

Standard or League?

"
codetaku wrote:
We know the next league starts on march 8th, I'd recommend practicing leveling a character now, probably just in Standard, then make a new league character when it hits.

Yeah. Something like this is probably gonna be the way to go.
Also depends on how much time you have. If you only have few hours a week, then league is not worth it since you won't really progress much and it will get reset again.
Nice thread! Thanks for information provided
"
Witchmaw wrote:
"
Ludvator wrote:
Also its worth mentioning that this game is much more complex and difficult than these days gaming standard. So dont expect too much from your first character(s)

Yeah, im kinda expecting it to be a grand noobish mess of a first char. :)
I could go and follow some guide telling me exactly what to do and build every step of the way, but thats just no fun for me.

I just started playing about a month ago coming from D3 myself. Best advice I can offer is to make sure that you follow a build guide. I started off trying to build on my own and got it to lvl 39 before I realized I just couldn't make it work.

I ended up watching a lot of youtube videos on POE to try and learn more about the game and get some of the more confusing aspects of the game down. There are some really good resources for beginners available if you search for them.
"
Revenged25 wrote:

Best advice I can offer is to make sure that you follow a build guide.

Agree and disagree....you learn the best by making mistakes :) and......since it not very useful to start in league cause the end is almost there I would say; start making a char your own try stuff make mistakes and when new league starts use a build guide.
"
Revenged25 wrote:
I just started playing about a month ago coming from D3 myself. Best advice I can offer is to make sure that you follow a build guide. I started off trying to build on my own and got it to lvl 39 before I realized I just couldn't make it work.

I ended up watching a lot of youtube videos on POE to try and learn more about the game and get some of the more confusing aspects of the game down. There are some really good resources for beginners available if you search for them.

I'll say, the second paragraph of this post is a lot more relevant to everyone than the first.

You can follow a build guide or not, it doesn't matter. But what you really need to do if you want to have any kind of fun in this game besides the moronic "I'M TOTALLY BLIND LOLOLOL LOOK AT ME NOT UNDERSTAND MECHANICS!" type of "fun" that quin specializes in, is read build guides.

Read all sorts of guides. Figure out what's meta. Figure out how support gems interact. Figure out what kind of crit thresholds people expect to have for melee vs cast on crit builds in order for scaling crit multi to actually be viable, figure out when you need separate setups for clearspeed vs boss killing.

You can play this game well while making your own builds. Lots of people do. Several of the most talented streamers (Mathil, pajama, havoc) usually do exactly that. But you need a baseline understanding of the game first. There's too much information to expect yourself to be able to make something playable from first principles right off the bat. If you're interested in playing the real game, you should bathe yourself in mechanics. The best build guides have not just gem setups but also explanations for every single choice they made, and you can learn a lot from those. I actually struggled to make storm brand a viable leveling skill until I found out in a build guide that it actually does AoE damage (I initially thought the AoE tag was only about attachment and targeting range) so concentrated effect works with it.

Once you have a firm grasp of the mechanics you want to be working with, you still can choose to copy build guides, but even if you do, you'll often find inefficiencies that you can improve upon yourself. If you don't, you'll find yourself gravitating towards the items other people use for their own builds because those items are just generally good. And sometimes, you'll be the one to discover an actual playable build archetype no one else is trying yet.

But for the love of god, don't go in blind unless you like being miserable.
Last edited by codetaku on Feb 15, 2019, 1:24:00 PM
I honestly just came back since probably 2014 or so, so the game is brand new to me as well in a sense, but the league so far is pretty fun. Follow a build or go in it and just make your own as you go, there's no harm in learning that way just don't expect to push crazy things at the start.

Just have fun

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info