Game Dev Diary for "Daughters and the Exotic"

Spoiler
Saying that's cool seems a bit lame, but sincerely, that's cool you feel that way Brekky.
No matter what you think about this design, sketching it tonight was important in the sense that I discovered something about my style that I never realized when I used to only model things first.

I like phat-ass objects. Big fat stylized objects. Thus the phat-ass axe sword here that I am 99.9999% sure I never would have modeled in blender if I hadn't sketched the concept out first.

A sword axe may be completely ridiculous. But it's totally a thing now. Why shouldn't you be able to break a sword in half + an axe, and form this thing?

It will only require a slight addition to the pre-existing item crafting code. Mwhaha ha ha haha!

Oops dude wrist but lady fingers

Okay lemme explain. I am practicing using layers and all the various blend modes. Theres more to them than I ever knew! I tried making a semi translucent cube with shading in a rough free form kinda manner. it's my first attempt at coloring by hand ever. Tee hee hee

There's like 18 LAYERS Bro!! Who would've guessed by looking at it!? pfft

Spoiler
That's more layers and sketchiness in the past few posts than I can reasonably make a witty comment about, Brekky. Looks like you're developing skills and awareness of your own style, which must feel good.

"
erdelyii wrote:
Spoiler
That's more layers and sketchiness in the past few posts than I can reasonably make a witty comment about, Brekky. Looks like you're developing skills and awareness of your own style, which must feel good.

Yeah it may seem like 'wuuut is that'. But having these sketches as references is essential to the actual process once I crack open the game engine itself. Even the weird lighting on that cube can serve as a guide for the lighting inside the game.

Every single detail in a game needs to be worked out and a picture's worth a thousand yadda yadda yadda. Plus it's practice fo teh actual in-game texturing. i could use Quixel or Allgorithmic but I want to taste hand drawn before that. And even though I was a straight A student in school, my teacher publically threatened to give me an F in art class. lol

As far as 3d modeling with polygons goes I once got tested in school to see whether or not I shuold be tested to see if I was a genius. I aced everything on that test but flunked the geometric puzzles by not getting a single thing right. Thus they revoked my genius card.

I'm facing my demons in this endevour!
Bookmarking this thread.

Game development has been a dream for me, as well as many others who code for a living, I'm sure.
Sadly for me it will remain a dream. I am in a completely different field of development.

Just like any other development task, the code itself is only part of the process. Creative brainstorming. Drafts. Plans, good and bad ideas... Everything in this thread.
It's hard. But as Any GGG Dev can probably comment - it's worth it when everything comes together.

GG BearCares.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Mar 30, 2019, 9:24:17 AM
@johnkeys
Hey thanks for the support. Don't forget to smash that like button oh wait wrong venue.

Anyway I just realized, that with the limited skills I have acquired that I may not be Picasso but I can draw my own fucking user interface at this point dab nabbit! LET'S DO THAT!!

I used to always wonder how they drew the shading on the buttons and now I at least know the basics of it.
"
BearCares wrote:

I'm facing my demons in this endevour!

Glad to hear it.

I asked someone who is studying game design at uni and they said 30 layers is some people, and some ballsy mad people use only one. Whatever works for you.
Hello everyone, I'm currently doing research into how various oldschool and 'lo-fi' games handle their stat sheets as well as their user interfaces. For example I cracked open my GoG account vault, dusted some cobwebs and took a look at Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition.

So far I've rolled about 7 different characters and tested them out on the very first dungeon. My first character took about 20 swings before they could deal 8 or so damage to a bat monster. My most recent character that I rolled walked up to a golem creature and crit it for 32 damage on the first swing, and then 12 damage on the second.

In order to make this improvement of course I needed to gain game knowledge and thanks to the internet and the power of wikis it took about 2 hours of research to figure out how to game the system. I'm sure my character isn't ideal but themeatically it's fun to me, and relatively powerful.

However what's really important here is the takeaway about how its attributes and character sheet/progression work. Here are my critiques of this old D and D edition 2 rules.

Opaque AF
Similiar to PoE, it is nearly impossible to make a decent character until AFTER you gain a comprehensive understanding of how most of everything works. This is technically FUNCTIONAL design, but I believe that a player should be able to intuitively make a competant character from the very first character that they make.

Abusive Attribute System
Here I just rolled and rolled and rolled until I got great stats on my character. Then I used the most pointless attributes of charisma and wisdom as my character's 'dumpster' stats. Because they are nearly useless for fighter/mage/theif.

My other criticisms are irrelevant.

My Solutions
First the abusiveness of attributes can be solved by increasing the influence of each attribute. For example, why is Wisdom not being used in hand to hand combat? It seems to me that a wise warrior would be less susceptable to being critically hit because she would be less likely to make reckless decisions or to attack with bad timing. This doesn't mean that I would burden warriors with the need to have an uncommon level of wisdom. It just means that a particularly UNWISE warrior should take a critical hit PENALTY. Let's say if you have less than 9 wisdom if the enemy rolls a 19 on their hit die, then they get to roll again in order to see if they get a critical hit on you. And if you have less than 7 wisdom, the same thing applies when the enemy rolls an 18 and so on. And blah blah blah yeah I know that helmets protect from crits but I'm just saying theoretically.

Also charisma, for a warrior, it seems like a high charisma would reduce vitriol of enemies toward you thus reducing their effectiveness in combat by a small amount. Low charisma would have the opposite effect. So basically saving throws +1 if you have 16 charisma or higher and saving throws -1 if you have 7 charisma or less. Hell I also think that having lots of Charisma has a hypnotic effect on enemmies because of your flashy moves, so the enemy would probably find themselves having slower reactions to your attacks. So chance to hit +1 as well.

I never played D & D. So I'm wondering how blasphemous do D&D players find my critques? ;D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info