How big is the Xbox Community anyways.

This is it really.

I replied to posts recently that the community is small like really small.

So lets take a look at some %

Killing Brutus only 22.72% of players have killed Brutus
What the heck is this how is this even possible.
Brutus is the first boss you fight in the game.
He is in the 8th area of Act 1

So this is telling me that 68% of players of the game quit after 8 zones.

Next

Vaal Overseer.

11.4% of players killed the Vaal Overseer
Ok this is already not looking good.

So only 11.% of players made it past Act 2.
How is this.

Is the game to hard. Whats up.

lets speed this up a little bit now.

7.88% killed Dominus

4.88% Completed Part 1 Acts 1 - 5.

3.14% reached level 60

2.04% reached level 70

2.105 completed part 2 acts 6 - 10

1.305 completed merciless Labyrinth

1.15% reached level 80.

So this is it I do not have level 90 yet so I can't tell you the %

So how big is the community then.
Do we care to guess.

Well 1.14% of 10,000,000 is only 114,000
But do you really think Xbox had 10 million people download this game.
How many Downloaded the game and never played it.

Diablo 3 on launch of PS3 and Xbox only had 4 million or so.

So even if we took that 4 million number from Diablo 3
1.14% of 4 million is 45,600

Is this small is it large for this type of game.
Is it going to grow at all or just keep getting smaller.

How small does it need to get before GGG stops supporting it.

Does GGG have any plans to try and make growth here.
Is Xbox just keeping their head above water right now.

I know it is going to get a little bit smaller with the PS4 being released soon.

I would like to see the PS4 numbers on these trophy's in a few months

That is all what are your thoughts on this.

Last bumped on Feb 3, 2019, 12:17:54 PM
My first thought: really decent topic

I have looked at those completion numbers from time to time and the really low ones do raise questions in my mind.

Is the base number actually defined somewhere? I wonder because when I play on someone else's Xbox, it sets up achievement counting entries for me in respect of games that I never played. They may have been played by another person in a session (whatever the time between turn box on, and turn box off is called) where I also played something else. But am I being counted in the base for games that I never played?

On a tangent, but something else that has always bugged me was how fast some players were able to rack up all those M$ Achievements so early after launch. Even allowing that they bought prophesies for many of the really rare stuff, from whom did they buy them?

The game is definitely inhospitable for new players. The retention numbers on people trying out the game on a flyer must be really low. I consider it a definite acquired taste, and a taste that one really needs to have acquired before starting the game.

Diminishing Returns: .47% (reach level 90)

(you may be able to see the numbers for locked achievements by switching from unlocked to locked)
I now comment in Forums with my Xbox account:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/xbox/view-profile/walkjohn55
"
My first thought: really decent topic

I have looked at those completion numbers from time to time and the really low ones do raise questions in my mind.

Is the base number actually defined somewhere? I wonder because when I play on someone else's Xbox, it sets up achievement counting entries for me in respect of games that I never played. They may have been played by another person in a session (whatever the time between turn box on, and turn box off is called) where I also played something else. But am I being counted in the base for games that I never played?

On a tangent, but something else that has always bugged me was how fast some players were able to rack up all those M$ Achievements so early after launch. Even allowing that they bought prophesies for many of the really rare stuff, from whom did they buy them?

The game is definitely inhospitable for new players. The retention numbers on people trying out the game on a flyer must be really low. I consider it a definite acquired taste, and a taste that one really needs to have acquired before starting the game.

Diminishing Returns: .47% (reach level 90)

(you may be able to see the numbers for locked achievements by switching from unlocked to locked)

Thanks, I just notice the .47% on that Diminishing Returns achievement.
It is locked but still shows the %.

As to the unlocking those certain achievements I think those were old PC players that came over to Xbox. Or certain groups getting together to unlock them.

You only get counted in the Achievement if you downloaded the game and played it. (I am not sure if just downloading the game is enough to get you, but it might be)

Fornite, for example, has very scued numbers for their achievements.
The game came out as a Beta, and folks got into it.
They then brought out their Battle Royal and made that part free to play.
BAM!!! lots of folks got the game and played Battle Royal, and so the Xbox achievements completed got a lot lower.
I am not sure if Epic or Mircosoft fix this or not.

Oh as a side note so this 4 million downloaded the game (this is a guess and it was based off Diablo 3 players, getting it on PSA and Xbox and how that increased Diablo 3 player base by 4 million, or so it was reported at the time)

4 million

1.14% of them reached level 80. 45,600
.47% of them reached level 90. 18,800

Those are just numbers of folks that did that stuff.

How many are still active.

Well just by the active players on Steamcharts I would say it is small

Name
Path of Exile Path of Exile

Current Players 30-Day Avg. 30-Day Gain 30-Day % Gain
17,823 36,957.2 -14,364.7 -27.99%

So that 4 million I said that downloaded the game is way off.

So if Steamchart is saying there are currently almost 18k playing PoE
again this is only steam, not players that play the game through the main client.

So the Xbox numbers have to be lower than this

What 1k, 3k, 5k

Perhaps if someone interested can look at the Betrayal ladder for PC (I have yet to figure out how to access the PC League Ladders):

they could grab the XP level of the bottom player
we could see where on the Xbox Ladder that it would fit
then get a stab at the ratio of Xbox to PC players

not that scientific, but probably beats guessing

Not sure how accurate PoE Ninja is for this but here goes.

There are 3537 characters at level 100 in Betrayal.

https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds?minlevel=100

On Xbox there are 9 characters at level 100
(these are the only level 100 characters on Xbox for the Betrayal League)

There is no ladder for Standard.

There are 9498 characters at level 96 - level 99

https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds?maxlevel=99

There are 301 Characters in HC Betrayal at level 100

https://poe.ninja/challengehc/builds?minlevel=100

There are 35 SSF characters at level 100.

https://poe.ninja/challengessf/builds?minlevel=100

There are 22 SSF HC characters at level 100.

https://poe.ninja/challengehcssf/builds?minlevel=100
"
xPeleusx wrote:

Vaal Overseer 11.4% of players killed the Vaal Overseer

7.88% killed Dominus

This is a free to play syndrome.
Im this kind of player in some games on xbox myself, thanks to this game pass thing.
Testing the game out because it looks cool enough but it dosent catch me right away.
You need to know what is waiting for you later on or pay money to give the game some more time or friends to drag you in.
Free to play game without this need to blow your mind right away else you simply wont bother.
"
I have yet to figure out how to access the PC League Ladders

Its under events on this page
"
Viljan wrote:
"
xPeleusx wrote:

Vaal Overseer 11.4% of players killed the Vaal Overseer

7.88% killed Dominus

This is a free to play syndrome.
Im this kind of player in some games on xbox myself, thanks to this game pass thing.
Testing the game out because it looks cool enough but it dosent catch me right away.
You need to know what is waiting for you later on or pay money to give the game some more time or friends to drag you in.
Free to play game without this need to blow your mind right away else you simply wont bother.

Right but PoE has an economy base around its population.
If there is no population the economy is small.
This does 2 things drives up prices of things as there are more people vying for those items.
It also stifles the encomny was there are not enough people collecting the currency to buy those sought after items.

If this community just keeps getting smaller because folks come in try the game, like it, look at builds to play, go to trade board can't afford to buy the gear and then leave they give up.

So GGG has to do something to keep the current population from dying.
Thank you Viljan (again)

So from PC Betrayal

15000 Completed 29 Challenges ... Occultist 96 3258972968 254 254

from Xbox Betrayal

67 ... Assassin 96 3181657364 232 232

So at the test time, 67 Xbox characters had reached about the experience level of the bottom ranked PC character.

At one point the Xbox ladder tended to only register characters if the player was logged out but I found my logged on character and so maybe that has changed.

The PC listing could reasonably be assumed to have a higher "Character to Player" ratio than Xbox.

And the PC may have a higher percentage of top players - but not for sure because Xbox got a big crossover influx.

Nothing definitive of course, but the indication is that the active Xbox player population is extremely small compared to the PC player population.

"
xPeleusx wrote:

Right but PoE has an economy base around its population.
If there is no population the economy is small.
This does 2 things drives up prices of things as there are more people vying for those items.
It also stifles the economy was there are not enough people collecting the currency to buy those sought after items.

The small market tends make things "rough"; more so the rarer the item. And as pointed out elsewhere, offer and ask prices do not converge as readily leaving sellers unsure of the "true" price and buyers perhaps overly optimistic.

Market Manipulation aside, high prices come from excess demand which is not directly caused by a small market but is made more likely by a small market (as I said, the market is rougher and there will be more shortages and excesses compared to a larger market).

A larger market can make things work smoother, but it will not fix an imbalance between buyers and sellers.

And Market "trust" is likely a long way off - GGG has shown little appetite to intervene in a regulatory role and the whole anonymous aspect of transactions is an open invitation to bad behaviour without any concern over consequences. On the flip side, it also makes it very hard to establish a "good reputation" as well. But perhaps even more unhelpful is the total lack of info regarding what things have sold for recently. Imagine buying or selling a house IRL with no info on local house prices (well in San Fran, I could get way more so no deal ....)

Last edited by AnExile_onthePath on Jan 31, 2019, 3:30:25 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info