Time Capsule from PoE Closed Beta -- a classic PoE vs D3 thread circa 2012

"
Holy shit, hello old friend.

Is this still relevant? Or does it look like a mad fanboy's rant long since disproven by the inevitable disappointment of the Promised Land becoming a less-than-promised reality?

...hm.

I just read it for the first time, an interesting read to say the least. I never really venture into off-topic so that's why I'm late to this party.

It's nice hearing some detail on Diablo and PoE and they're similarities and differences and all, despite sticking a couple hundred hours into this game I've actually never played any Diablo game. And it's interesting seeing how a Ruler of Wraeclast got started too.
"
Holy shit, hello old friend.

Is this still relevant? Or does it look like a mad fanboy's rant long since disproven by the inevitable disappointment of the Promised Land becoming a less-than-promised reality?

...hm.

Are you going emo on us?

Maybe it's time to Update the Original Topic again?

The Russell Wilson Era
"
Actually, no, it all still holds.

I was so sad when this was moved to Off Topic.

I'm actually doing a comparative essay between D3, Torchlight2 and PoE. So this was helpful to a non-Diablo player.
"Minions of your minions are your minion's minions, not your minions." - Mark
Let this thread die so we can necro it again at Christmas!
The Russell Wilson Era
"
you should probably play some Diablo if you're going to write an essay about it. :P

Bah, it's only a thousand words and worth 20% of the subject. So I'm not going to waste my precious bandwidth on something I wont play anyway.
"Minions of your minions are your minion's minions, not your minions." - Mark
Diablo 3 was polished and lovely to play but it had no depth. And depth is what keeps these games infinitely playable.

ffvii is a fantastic game, i completed it maybe 10 times. But its just once every year or two i get it out, complete it, go a bit mad on killing the big emerald and ruby weapons and then I go, that was fun and put it back on the shelf.

The difference though, between a game like ffvii and a game like D2 or PoE is that these games are infinite. There is always attraction to do it again and again and again continuously. There are very few games that offer 100 hours, let alone 1000 or let alone 10000 or more like these do.

Diablo 3, is a poor mans ffvii. It is along the same lines that it is complete and forget about it. But it doesnt leave the "ill do that again when i get an urge in a year" feeling.

Nothing. Some games achieve that even though they are casual complete only games.

To name a couple

ffvii and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, would be my main two.

But back on track, what Diablo 3 needed most of all was that depth. And it has NO depth.

What PoE does is take the D1 atmosphere and nostalgia, combines it with a Diablo 2 build system on acid and also gives oodles of support, attention and patches to its community, providing extra content, extra goodies, keeping the game interesting.

I go as far as saying this is maybe the best game I have ever played, even in its current state. And its only going in one direction.

I have played the game continously now since December last year and put in something like 1500 hours or so. And I am not in the slightest bit bored with the game. Very very rare.
"
Charan wrote:
"Time to saddle up and hunt down the Butcher... Err, Brutus in the Jail!"

The meat is *always* fresh in Wræclast.

I can't even describe how much more Brutus feels like the butcher from Diablo one as compared the the new butcher in D3.

The Butcher in D3 is a cartoony borefest. It doesn't pull you in at all, you just smirk the first time or two you see him and he utters those silly phrases.

The butcher in D1 and Brutus in PoE actually feel creepy to me. They are dark and greety and don't need silly phrases and cartoony graphics. They don't need a cutscene to introduce them, they just come at your full force with all of their hard hitting power.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Jul 11, 2013, 8:43:05 PM
"
iamstryker wrote:
I can't even describe how much more Brutus feels like the butcher from Diablo one as compared the the new butcher in D3.

*laughs* Never played D3 but yeah I can see the resemblance.

One of the things I like about this game is that it IS scary (at least in onslaught, solo). I'm reminded many a time of D2 hardcore... particularly on my naked sorc. My characters in POE feel a lot like my NakedBabe did... creep forward slowly... be ready to run away fast... EVERYTHING can one-shot you. I like that sort of risk.

This game, however, is nothing like D1 or D2 insofar as I am concerned. I see POE more like one of those space trading games. I see the core mechanic as player-to-player bartering rather than PVE farming/crafting. In D2 I could and did sustain my own little flock of hardcore characters without any real trouble despite how squishy (and expensive) some of them were. In this game I cannot gear even one character (without trading).

And I gotta admit, for sheer lulz I miss enchant. Not only did that ease the early levels when starting out some new weird build I wanted to do but helping people with it was hilarious. At the time, at least, everyone knew "enchant sucked". So when I handed out newbie bows and enchanted them everyone always thought it was some sort of joke. Enchanting a necro army was even funnier as they seldom knew what I'd done or what sort of effect it might have.
I don't trade. I don't group. My comments reflect that.
Bump to see how many views it has.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
This thread has more views than the entire Russian Community thread.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info