0.9.7b Patch Notes

"
bersi23 wrote:
I'll stop playing the beta because you make such huge changes from patch to patch, it isnt fun to play. today a character is OP, a day after it is nerfed to the dead.

I'll take a look at poe if it is released, hopefully there will be more fun than yet.

Now these kinda comments really piss me off ! You behave like you are a tourist that came for a holiday or something ! This place's priority is firstly "testing", then fun. if you still did not get this till today, after all the months, you won't do for sure. And yes, it would be indeed better for you leaving here until the game is released.
"This is too good for you, very powerful ! You want - You take"
"
Greenmind wrote:
Some additional respecs would be nice, given these severe changes. If I screw up or find my build doesn't really work, there's no way I'm going to go through the level 1-75 grind or wait for another full respec again.

It's difficult to test this because a bad spec basically makes your character unplayable, more so now that chaos is 1 hit death to almost any class.

I agree with this a lot. When I re-spec to the patches it is hard to determine what works and what doesn't. I don't have time to make three different chars to test each build. If there was some vendor available for beta that would let us re-spec to test builds it would be pretty awesome. Or even a special area to test builds. In the final game, I wouldn't want that but during beta it is hard to find survivability/offense.
"
Greenmind wrote:
It's difficult to test this because a bad spec basically makes your character unplayable, more so now that chaos is 1 hit death to almost any class.

That itself is a test. Not all tests are successful.
"
unsmith wrote:
"
Greenmind wrote:

That itself is a test. Not all tests are successful.

I'm not sure you understand how software testing works.

All tests should serve a purpose. The way things work now, everyone spends hours leveling 1-70, then they grind for gear/exp for weeks trying to get something to upgrade their character. If their spec stinks they're basically stuck farming for respec orbs. Or of course going through the same 4 difficulties of 2 acts.

If the goal is to find class balance and resolve bugs then people should be allowed to freely respec and experiment with new things. In my opinion they could just do away with the first difficulty and accelerate the leveling process accordingly. The first difficulty is too easy and the skills/levels come too slowly. This is, for the sake of testing, now how I propose things work in the final release.

If they really want us to test the game they have to stop throwing difficulties at us which require cookie cutter specs to be enjoyable. I don't care who you are. Difficulties 1-2 are boring and once you've experienced them once, there's not a lot of enjoyment in experiencing them again at this point. Just making these difficulties and all others more frustrating with 1 hit kills and OP mob abilities like molten shield won't do any good either.

"
Greenmind wrote:

All tests should serve a purpose. The way things work now, everyone spends hours leveling 1-70, then they grind for gear/exp for weeks trying to get something to upgrade their character. If their spec stinks they're basically stuck farming for respec orbs. Or of course going through the same 4 difficulties of 2 acts.

If the goal is to find class balance and resolve bugs then people should be allowed to freely respec and experiment with new things. In my opinion they could just do away with the first difficulty and accelerate the leveling process accordingly. The first difficulty is too easy and the skills/levels come too slowly. This is, for the sake of testing, now how I propose things work in the final release.

If they really want us to test the game they have to stop throwing difficulties at us which require cookie cutter specs to be enjoyable. I don't care who you are. Difficulties 1-2 are boring and once you've experienced them once, there's not a lot of enjoyment in experiencing them again at this point. Just making these difficulties and all others more frustrating with 1 hit kills and OP mob abilities like molten shield won't do any good either.
I disagree. If the devs want to find class balance, they need testers to play the game as if it were the final version, going through the entire range of content to find balance issues along the way. Your statements work fine if all the devs want is high-level balance, but I can assure you that's not the case.

The purpose of the beta test is to get the game ready for release, not spend weeks grinding for 1 piece of gear at levels that don't even have appropriate content yet. Some people are just playing the game and leaving the testing to others.

If your character is broken because of the patch, try a new build. If you really want to test the new build, you should play it from level 1 to see if the build is effective throughout the game. You won't be able fully respec on a whim in the release, so we should be finding builds that don't work just as if we were playing release. I.E. build XX may be awesome for Maelstrom of Chaos, but how well does it play up to that point? You wouldn't have a clue if you just respecced a level 73 character after a major patch.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
"
Greenmind wrote:

I disagree. If the devs want to find class balance, they need testers to play the game as if it were the final version, going through the entire range of content to find balance issues along the way. Your statements work fine if all the devs want is high-level balance, but I can assure you that's not the case.

The purpose of the beta test is to get the game ready for release, not spend weeks grinding for 1 piece of gear at levels that don't even have appropriate content yet. Some people are just playing the game and leaving the testing to others.

If your character is broken because of the patch, try a new build. If you really want to test the new build, you should play it from level 1 to see if the build is effective throughout the game. You won't be able fully respec on a whim in the release, so we should be finding builds that don't work just as if we were playing release. I.E. build XX may be awesome for Maelstrom of Chaos, but how well does it play up to that point? You wouldn't have a clue if you just respecced a level 73 character after a major patch.

i get your point but i think u need both. pvp is comming and then u'll have tons of ppl just playing the endgame and try to squezze out every little % of a single character. non of these care about the balance in lower lvls, the story or anything like that. devs also needs to know whats possible in the endgame/pvp with really good gear. its very important to balance this too.. and not everybody has the time to play throu over and over again building tons of chars but also want to contribute valuable feedback...
"
el_puno wrote:
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
"
Greenmind wrote:

i get your point but i think u need both. pvp is comming and then u'll have tons of ppl just playing the endgame and try to squezze out every little % of a single character. non of these care about the balance in lower lvls, the story or anything like that. devs also needs to know whats possible in the endgame/pvp with really good gear. its very important to balance this too.. and not everybody has the time to play throu over and over again building tons of chars but also want to contribute valuable feedback...

I think you make it too hurry. This game is still at close beta and the dev is busy releasing new contents like software modules and aim to make sure no module would cause bug itself (memory leak, CTD, display error, etc), and only after we have every module ready we would be able to start tweaking the big picture.

of course its good to have every module in perfect shape right after they are integrated, but in software development its more common that we first secure the function of each module, then tweak them as a whole so that not too much work and time are spent in tweaking some modules forth and back repeatedly.

In another word, you may compare two skills and say they are unbalanced, but you need to see the rest to decide should we buff this one or debuff the another.
Last edited by BesucherXia on Mar 20, 2012, 1:20:33 PM
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
"
Greenmind wrote:

I feel that is worthwhile to test the culmination of the build, not the process to get there. The ability to respec will speed up the process, I think starting from square one every time becomes burdensome on the testers themselves. The grinding and leveling will come with experience. Any one who has played any kind of action-RPG can make these kind of growth decisions without having to test them fully.

Chaos is very hard to test final builds but it is our only milestone. I have seen that people say it will be gone and we should not use that to test characters but that is our only method at this point. I intend to spend far more time end game than getting to end game.
I got burned out on acts 1 and 2 and quit playing.
"
el_puno wrote:
and then u'll have tons of ppl just playing the endgame and try to squezze out every little % of a single character. non of these care about the balance in lower lvls, the story or anything like that.

There's no way to play 'endgame' without playing the game before to reach it... you first have to arrive there.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info