"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Short example:
100 base physical damage
aura adds 20% of physical damage as cold
10% elemental damage increase
20% physical damage increase
15% cold damage increase

You get 100 physical damage increased by 10%, for 110 physical, and 20 cold damage (from physical) which is increased by 45% (10 + 20 + 15) for 29 cold damage.

For clarity, did you MEAN to say this:

You get 100 physical damage increased by 20%, for 120 physical, and 20 cold damage (from physical) which is increased by 45% (10 + 20 + 15) for 29 cold damage.

?

Also, what is the logic for adding in the 20% damage increase to the cold damage portion of the equation just because (as you stated:)

"since it was 'converted' from physical damage, is affected by both physical and cold/elemental damage increases."

That seems very odd and counterintuitive considering you mentioned that you don't want the formulas to "double dip" on the multiplications they provide. In this example' the "20% physical damage increase" increased both the base physical damage and the base (20) cold damage. Am I looking at this the wrong way?

Last edited by visibiliti on Apr 4, 2012, 12:51:38 PM
This is also getting even more confusing for me, if only Mark could tell us how this gem working exactly it would be enough.
"This is too good for you, very powerful ! You want - You take"
"
visibiliti wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Short example:
100 base physical damage
aura adds 20% of physical damage as cold
10% elemental damage increase
20% physical damage increase
15% cold damage increase

You get 100 physical damage increased by 10%, for 110 physical, and 20 cold damage (from physical) which is increased by 45% (10 + 20 + 15) for 29 cold damage.

For clarity, did you MEAN to say this:

You get 100 physical damage increased by 20%, for 120 physical, and 20 cold damage (from physical) which is increased by 45% (10 + 20 + 15) for 29 cold damage.

?
Yes, I got the physical damage increase wrong. Thanks for the catch - I've updated my post to be correct so as not to confuse others.

"
visibiliti wrote:
Also, what is the logic for adding in the 20% damage increase to the cold damage portion of the equation just because (as you stated:)

"since it was 'converted' from physical damage, is affected by both physical and cold/elemental damage increases."

That seems very odd and counterintuitive considering you mentioned that you don't want the formulas to "double dip" on the multiplications they provide. In this example' the "20% physical damage increase" increased both the base physical damage and the base (20) cold damage. Am I looking at this the wrong way?

The amount of cold damage you get from hatred is based on how much physical damage you deal. As such, people expect that increasing the amount of physical damage you deal will increase the amount of cold damage. This is the intuitive conclusion we've found many people assume is true.

The cold damage you deal is cold damage, and thus clearly needs to be affected by cold damage increases. This is also very intuitive.

The "increased physical damage" and "increased cold damage" modifiers are additive. We can't first apply all the physical ones, then work out cold damage as a percentage of that, then apply cold damage increases, because then those two modifiers, which are always additive, become multiplicative with each other, which is completely broken.

The physical damage is just physical damage. It's affected by increased physical damage because it's physical. so it gets the 20% increase from that.

The cold damage is cold damage and thus affected by cold and elemental damage increases. This cold damage is based directly on the amount of physical damage you have, so it should also affected by modifiers to your physical damage - modifying physical damage should modify other damage which is based on the amount of physical damage. Hence it gets the 10% increase (elemental), the 15% increase (cold) and the 20% increase (physical), for a total of 45% increased damage. And this way, all these increases which are additive are applied together so that they are additive. Balance is maintained.

Many patches ago, it didn't work this way - the base elemental damage was converted/added as a percentage of base physical damage and then only modified by increases to it's new type - this turned out to be a very negative mechanic (Glacial Hammer did less damage than it would ave without the conversion of 50% to cold, because cold is harder to increase), and very unintuitive. We had players reporting as a bug that they increased their physical damage and the amount of other damage they got based on physical didn't change, when it clearly should.

I agreed, but we couldn't, as I noted above, increase for one and then later increase for the other because that makes additive increases into multiplicative, which would be completely imbalanced. So after some time thinking, I worked out the current system and after talking with Chris, here we are.

I appreciate that the base details of how it works can be a little tricky to understand, but the base intuitive assumption people draw - that if you're getting some percentage of your physical damage converted or added as another damage type, then modifying your physical damage should logically modify that damage as well, is maintained, and the fact that 'increases' modifiers are additive is also maintained. I'm reasonably confidant there's no better way to do that without sacrificing one of those two - we don't want to sacrifice the first, because before it makes the end result feel bad and unintuitive for players, and we absolutely can't sacrifice the second because it would destroy balance.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Apr 4, 2012, 7:06:23 PM
I don't know if it is intentional but shouldn't
the effect and aura of hatred dissapear if the item with gem is removed?
The wait is over.
Mark,

THANK YOU!

Your response was very clear and indeed now that you have explained your points it does make much more sense to me.

Very nice to see exactly how it works and why, I hope other curious people will see your post!

Maybe there should eventually be some sort of section on the main website explaining it (if even just a copy paste of your exact post above)? That way, when people are in game and are equipping certain items with certain buffs and they get confused about why the results are what they are, they can consult that page and see how it works!
so i have the gem and i have the increase critical hit linked up with it but im not getting anything from the supported gem ?? and the same with increase item quality find and increase elemental damage !
Last edited by Nyler on Apr 6, 2012, 12:38:58 PM
"
Nyler wrote:
so i have the gem and i have the increase critical hit linked up with it but im not getting anything from the supported gem ?? and the same with increase item quality find and increase elemental damage !

This gem never does damage on its own, it simply augments your other skills (much like a party-wide support gem). If turning the aura on doesn't make enemies go boom, those supports won't make it magically do so... you'll still have to add those supports to the actual skills you are utilizing.
I love hatred, doubles my damage using glacial hammer! :D
+ 1500dps extra ftw! :D
Do reduced mana cost passives effect the mana reserve percentage of this aura, or is it only the reduced reservation percentage passives that effect it?
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

The "increased physical damage" and "increased cold damage" modifiers are additive. We can't first apply all the physical ones, then work out cold damage as a percentage of that, then apply cold damage increases, because then those two modifiers, which are always additive, become multiplicative with each other, which is completely broken.

The physical damage is just physical damage. It's affected by increased physical damage because it's physical. so it gets the 20% increase from that.

The cold damage is cold damage and thus affected by cold and elemental damage increases. This cold damage is based directly on the amount of physical damage you have, so it should also affected by modifiers to your physical damage - modifying physical damage should modify other damage which is based on the amount of physical damage. Hence it gets the 10% increase (elemental), the 15% increase (cold) and the 20% increase (physical), for a total of 45% increased damage. And this way, all these increases which are additive are applied together so that they are additive. Balance is maintained.

Just to clarify and make sure I understand this correctly.

Lets assume
-------------
Weapon dmg : 14-63
STR : 100

Skills and items have given the following modifiers:

+ 32% Physical Damage
+ 12% Elemental Damage
+ 7% Cold Damage

Ring that adds:
2-9 Physical Damage
3-7 Cold Damage

If I read your post correctly the basic rule for each damage source:

1.)Take the intial damage without %increases (Wpn damage, str modifier) This would be the "base" damage.
- Base = 34-83 (STR adds 1 dmg for ever 5 pts if I remember)

2.)Divide that damage into categories (i.e. 20% of your damage is Fire damage.)
- Fire_dmg = .2 * Base
- Physical_dmg = .8 * Base

3.) Add % Additional Damage i.e. Hatred (NOT % Increase) For this example Physical_dmg will be considered Cold_dmg's src_dmg.
- Cold_dmg = .2 * Physical_dmg (as opposed to .2* Base)

4.) Apply percentage increase to each category for % Additional Damage apply % increases that affect the src_dmg.
- Total Fire Damage = 1.12 * Fire_dmg
- Total Physical Damage = Physical_dmg + .32 * Physical_dmg
- Total Cold Damage = Cold_dmg + .51 * Cold_dmg

If the above is correct, where do flat increases come in? How is the ring calculated? Is it included in Base or is it added afterwards as a different source. If as a seperate source does it benefit from the % increase?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info