[3.5] Winter Orb elementalist league starter, SSF/beginner-friendly

Hello thanks for build, but some things i dont understand.
There is tons perks of cold damage % and lightning damage near by, why you didnt take them ?
What means flat cold damage ?
what damage i should pick more than others - spell crit, crit multipler, casting speed, cold damage %, spell damage, cold damage added to spells ?

sorry for my noob questions, but i dont realy understand looking by skill tree, some skills you pick some not, cold damage % was ignored.
took a quick look at your finished build in poeplanner.com in the Templar area you take Holy Dominion and then take the upper Ele dmg node - int node - str node if you take the ele dmg node down it cost less points to go to the life nodes behind it.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/913599 <--- mirror Thread
Last edited by PaladinSMD on Dec 13, 2018, 4:32:17 AM
draghin: nah, just a small mistake. PoB puts gems at 20 as a default setting once your select them. I just forgot to put CWDT lvl1 or 2. Thanks for the tip.

PaladinsSMD: oh yeah I went for the jewel next to it earlier. Changed it.

Arturikas25:
1)builds are created with goals in mind, I'll try to explain to you why I picked what I picked. As my build is a league starter, it needs life first of all. So I went to parts of the tree where I can take good chunks of life (201% is quite high for a Witch). As I planned to play with no gear, life is our first layer of defense.

I took a lot of DPS as crit chance and multiplier instead of % of elemental damage because it does more DPS. Just for your argument, I replaced all the crit nodes taken by elemental damage up to Heart of Ice. I went from 16k per hit to 11k per hit. Sure these nodes are really near but I planned my build so it synergises with my gear. Some choices may appear obscure to you but it makes sense. ;)

2)Flat damage in the game is IMO the greatest source of DPS. You see it in the gear written as "Add # to # Cold damage". It is a base damage that multiplies with your % damage taken in your build. For instance, the Winter Orb gems deals (23-258) to (28-322) Cold Damage. But if you have a dagger that reads "Add 30 to 70 Cold damage to spells", your Winter Orb deals now 53 to 392 cold damage minimum. It is super important because it multiplies with all the % that you take on your tree and gear.

3) So yeah, try to pick flat cold damage first, then crit multiplier or cold damage %

Hope that helps.
Why do you go for so much crit but use controlled destruction??? Isn't that contradictory?
"
Crafty_Playz wrote:
Why do you go for so much crit but use controlled destruction??? Isn't that contradictory?

That's the point actually. By taking a lot of crit, you can bypass the downside of controlled destruction and still benefit from its huge DPS boost while maintaining a good crit %.
Last edited by xVINCEREx on Dec 14, 2018, 4:06:43 AM
Shaper, T15 Elder, and their guardians down! Thanks for the build. Damage is lower than my other builds but the survivability/mobility is there so that is good enough.

"
BlRTH wrote:
Shaper, T15 Elder, and their guardians down! Thanks for the build. Damage is lower than my other builds but the survivability/mobility is there so that is good enough.

Good job! Nice to see it going all the way!
Hi, I'm newish to the game and so far I'm really liking your build. I went with the MoM variation and my question is what is better to use wands or daggers? If going with wands what would be a good movement skill to use?
"
xVINCEREx wrote:
Added an endgame MoM variation by scubastevefather. He got great ideas and the build has a ton more DPS. Just know that this build is leagues above in term of investment. Check it out in the "About the build" section if you wanna push all the way to the endgame bosses.

basicly you are saying we should follow that pob of him?

p.s. http://prntscr.com/lxjaw7 <<--- why pob shows like red circles around few unseleced skill tree nodes? i see this first time.
Wanted to try Winter Orb as a league starter myself and working my way through the atlas atm.

The build im going for is a lil different, but wanted to share it anyway.
I guess the gear could be better, but im more of a laid back poe player^^

PoE Planner Tree + Gear

Im not sure how far itll go.
Ideas are always appreciated.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info