I AM AFRAID.

I skimmed.

Not neutral, but hopefully reasonable.

I would hope so, and think what you were getting at is that the average person in the USA's heartland of safe urban spaces is increasingly callous and afraid?

I would like to say that your priorities are mixed up and the shooting death of one person of color is trivial compared to the dozens of shooting deaths of people of color that occur in Democrat-controlled Chicago in a typical month.

But that would be hypothetical. Here I am, posting in this slide thread.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I would like to say that your priorities are mixed up and the shooting death of one person of color is trivial compared to the dozens of shooting deaths of people of color that occur in Democrat-controlled Chicago in a typical month.

But that would be hypothetical. Here I am, posting in this slide thread.

Speaking of skimming - I do agree that there are many of lives lost elsewhere, and violence in this country often goes unreported.

But as far as priorities go, shouldn't they be looking at reducing further needless loss of life instead of making it political?

And as mentioned before, the source of the original article was a Phillipine based publication speaking about a Filipino-American death to a predominately Filipino audience in the Philippines.

But since you DID bring it up, here is a link to someone I knew, albeit not well who was also a victim of gun violence in Chicago.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20170207/pilsen/aaren-oconnor-murder-police-plea/

She was one of my sister's childhood friend's growing up. She was shot sitting in her car talking to (I believe) her dad on the phone. She wasn't a political extremist, she wasn't a drug dealer or violent criminal.

She was just getting started in the world, and it was cut short needlessly.

Part of me wants you to feel bad for trying to take a political jab, but another part of me wants to remind you that as strangers we have little more than a broad idea of someone else's experiences. A girl I went to high school was brutally murdered just a few years after graduation, but it didn't hit nearly as close to home as finding out one of the friends I met freshman year had passed on.

This may be just a silly meaningless thread for most - and given the platform that's fine. But for me its more cathartic.
Yep, totally over league play.
I meant "hypocritical," but autocorrect had a mind of its own.

It wasn't wrong though. Hypothetical indeed.

Edit: it did it again!
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 10, 2018, 5:55:10 PM
"
erdelyii wrote:
I skimmed.

Not neutral, but hopefully reasonable.

I would hope so, and think what you were getting at is that the average person in the USA's heartland of safe urban spaces is increasingly callous and afraid?

I mean sure, that's a bit of it but I'd say its gone beyond that at this point if I felt the need to write about it in an off-topic video game forum.

I had this friend once tell me he'd never post a picture of himself on the internet, and I found this surprising given that was what we worked with. At the time I thought it was overly cautious. Mind you this was still in the late 90s early early 2000s maybe. It was Napster and Myspace with Tom as everyone's default friend.

As the tech can now be weaponized, I'm realizing in hindsight his caution wasn't so misplaced after all.

Whether its a youtuber desperate for fame thinking a book has enough stopping power to protect against a Desert Eagle or it people failing to notice that we're not the only country to put out publications - Reason is seeingly becoming faux pas and rage the hot new trend.
Yep, totally over league play.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I'm afraid of Americans.

I'm afraid of the world.

God is an American...

rip bowie.

glad to live in europe. we eventually got rid of russians occupying us but americans prove to be much more of a pita lately and won't leave.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
SeCKSEgai wrote:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-45942893/trump-and-the-facts-about-the-migrant-caravan

That's neither CNN or Fox.

Did Trump or his administration ever say that all immigrants were criminals. Something, you claim the government did? The answer is no.

The news article you link'd which is fucking asking stupid questions to people in the caravan at least has the brains to include the transcripts where the president doesn't say that shit.

Yeah, let's ask the caravan if they are criminals. I bet you they won't lie to us...What a stupid news reporting agency. How about we go to the US Homeland Security for statistics and facts.

Nope, we'd rather get the opinions of random people like that's fucking reliable. Ridiculous.

"
Why are we as Americans not asking what has gotten so horrible that these people are taking this perilous trek to a country who doesn't appear to want them at all?

Because it doesn't matter.

"
Why is it that the dialogue is your stance is either Republican or Democrat? Did we somehow lose the response of Humanity?

It's entirely understandable for a country wanting to deny entrance, that's not a red thing or blue thing just a country thing. But weaponizing an event to capitalize on the fears of your fellow Americans and the party in control allowing said narrative to run unopposed is compliance.

But why is the gut reaction to see a threat? Must we always fear what we don't know? What happened to the US and its humanitarianism. It's like one day we said screw you guys I'm going home and took our ball with us.

I don't know where to begin with this. Your overgeneralizing complex issues and making huge assumptions on what people are thinking. aka, you have heavily ingrained beliefs, regardless of any factual reporting.
(⌐■_■)
"
RPGlitch wrote:
Did Trump or his administration ever say that all immigrants were criminals. Something, you claim the government did? The answer is no.
Trump administration officials have said multiple times that those residing in the US in violation of immigration procedure are criminals. Because they are.

But that's not what you said.
"
SeCKSEgai wrote:
Reminds me of a psychology experiment a professor brought up years ago. I may be getting details wrong, but its the concept that matters.

I believe this is what you are referring to.

The color of a light sounds familiar too, though, so perhaps there is another experiment? On the other hand, I was conditioned from a young age to believe there are four lights, so maybe it’s that..
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
"
SeCKSEgai wrote:

Eventually, that person conceded that the light was green to reach agreement with the group despite knowing full well it was not...

Social media shows us that people can be convinced to believe a lie en masse. America's own political system is an example of how fear can be used to convince people that its very own citizens are the enemy.

But the person never believed the group. The experiment was about outward conformity.

Group Size: Asch found that group size influenced whether subjects conformed. The bigger the group, the more people conformed, up to a certain point. After group size reached a certain limit, conformity didn’t increase any further.

Group Unanimity: Asch also found that subjects were much more likely to conform when a group agreed unanimously. If even one other person in the group disagreed with the group, a subject was much less likely to conform. This was true even when the other dissenter disagreed with the subject as well as the group.

The classic 1984 experiment by Quattrone & Tversky into self deception might be more to the point for you.

short article here

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info