[3.5] Scold Snap™ - a low-life league starter Cold Snap Occultist

Are you going to update ur guide before the start or ull just keep it like this. Its great by the way good job
With the new Arctic Breath being pretty similar DoT what do you think of running 2x 5L in your chest, replacing your weakest support with Arctic Breath? It's more overall damage but the cost is an extra skill on your bar and an extra skill to cast in combat.

In total you would want to cast AB + Bonechill + Hypothermia + GMP(maybe), frost bomb, then Cold Snap + AB.

Personally I dropped OOS and Arcane Surge to link Frost Bomb + Curse on Hit + 2x curses to streamline things.

Worth trying out I think.
IGN: Dmillz
"
gna97 wrote:
Are you going to update ur guide before the start or ull just keep it like this. Its great by the way good job

Thanks man! Sadly I hit the maximum character limit, and didn't plan ahead by reserving the first comment spot for future expansion.

I have no plans to update the guide until I've actually done some science. I see no point in misleading people with my predictions and conjecture. Sadly I also have final exams coming next week, so I won't be able to get serious until Dec 16th. But I'm gonna go ahead and assume you're still interested in my plans for Betrayal league, so here you go...

First few days: life + MoM
90-point starting tree (poeurl link)
High priority items: Carcass Jack, Doedre's Tenure, Rime Gaze, Spine of the First Claimant
Low priority items: Rathpith Globe, Cerberus Limb

Endgame plan: low-life with slightly modified tree and gems
116-point endgame tree (poeurl link)
Item possibilities: Aegis Aurora, Rime Gaze, Scold's Bridle, Doedre's Malevolence

Cold Snap gem setup will remain the same.
Supporting skills gem links will assuredly change, but I can't currently predict what they will be.
"
Eludi wrote:
"
cha_siu_bao wrote:
"
Maxpoggi wrote:
Surprisingly enough, according to PoB going Malediction over Frigid Wake results in higher DoT DPS.

Curses are absolutely insane for this build, unless you're fighting Shaper/Elder/Guardians. You can take it even further by switching the Blasphemy - Enfeeble out for Frostbite or Despair. But again, it all falls to pieces once you're fighting a mob with high reduced curse effect.

Part of the massive damage swing is the loss of the tri-curse setup. And don't forget that we'll also be applying Bonechill with a support spell, so we can't be too precise about our DPS estimates just yet.

Switch the "Is the enemy a boss?" to Shaper/Guardian and let me know what you think.

Seems like +1 curse corruption on amulet might be pretty strong option.
Or hope that somehow old uniques(shavs) have chance for veiled mod for +1.

I vote we abandon the idea of stacking curses altogether. Cold Snap deals perfectly acceptable mapping damage already, regardless of whether it's dual-curse or tri-curse.

Enfeeble + Ele Weakness
Reduce cold resists with Frost Bomb and Equilibrium
Increase cold damage taken with Bonechill
"
Dmillz wrote:
With the new Arctic Breath being pretty similar DoT what do you think of running 2x 5L in your chest, replacing your weakest support with Arctic Breath? It's more overall damage but the cost is an extra skill on your bar and an extra skill to cast in combat.

In total you would want to cast AB + Bonechill + Hypothermia + GMP(maybe), frost bomb, then Cold Snap + AB.

Personally I dropped OOS and Arcane Surge to link Frost Bomb + Curse on Hit + 2x curses to streamline things.

Worth trying out I think.

Frost Bomb is a terrible choice for applying on-hit effects, as it only hits once at the end of its duration. Any increased duration, including from the passive tree, will extend that delay between Frost Bomb cast and actual curse application.

Dropping Orb of Storms means unreliable lightning hits for Elemental Equilibrium purposes. It needs to be refreshed every 5 seconds, or every time I hit a tanky enemy with cold damage. Scold's Bridle + Doedre's Malevolence works, but I prefer more reliability to cover any kind of sketchy encounter.

I don't like the idea of turning a 6L into two 5L spells, as it's only useful in very niche situations, but I'll give it a try at some point.
Damn I totally forgot it only deals damage at the end. That kills that idea. There's no way it's worth doing 2x 5L then, it will be way too clunky to play.
IGN: Dmillz
Is it not worth taking any of the Cold DoT multi nodes? Breath of Rime/Fingers of Frost/Frigid Wake?

Considering this as possible starter as well

"
jtedrick wrote:
Is it not worth taking any of the Cold DoT multi nodes? Breath of Rime/Fingers of Frost/Frigid Wake?

Already discussed a few times in this thread. Tldr? > have a look at the trees posted just 4 posts above yours
"
sicu wrote:
"
jtedrick wrote:

Already discussed a few times in this thread. Tldr? > have a look at the trees posted just 4 posts above yours

Tree is corrupted for me, says something about older version.
"
cha_siu_bao wrote:
"
iantsu wrote:
Cold snap: 3 seconds cooldown
Vortex: instant cast but 1.8 seconds cooldown (at Lv1 but i don't think it gonna improve massively to make it comfortable at lv20 )

Now it's maybe clunky. and much more downtime

Probably. I predict not caring about Vortex as supplemental damage in 3.5, and instead using that 4L for utility.

Arctic Breath - GMP - Hypothermia - Bonechill
Vortex - Inc AoE - Hypothermia - Bonechill

If you won't care about it as supplemental damage, why the hypothermia? Bonechill is the one improving main skill's damage.
Shouldnt we use one of these with CWDT to apply a curse?

I have another question about Elemental Equilibrium.. How do I work it to apply the negative 50% resistance to cold? Do I always have to wait for my Orb of Storms to hit first??
Last edited by kennoba on Dec 6, 2018, 11:33:16 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info