Level 21 multistrike support shows no difference compared to level 20.

"
Farg7 wrote:
I have 3 multistrike gems: 20/20, 21/20 and 20/22.

That's how the DPS of my molten strike skill is displayed, depending on which of these support gems I am using:

In the game
20/20: 59054,6
21/20: 59054,6 (no difference)
20/22: 59111,5

In Path of Building
20/20: 113865,5 melee hit and 53042,2 magma ball
21/20: 114530,1 melee hit and 53042,2 magma ball
20/22: 113977,2 melee hit and 53042,2 magma ball

Unlike the game Path of Building shows the difference. I know that 21/20 should be better than 20/22 because "more melee attack speed" that comes from the gem level must be better than "increased melee physical damage" that comes from the gem quality.

So, what should I believe? Is it just a bug and 21/20 is better as it is supposed to be, or should I trust in-game DPS values and use 20/22 gem?

Also, why the Multistrike level does not change magma balls DPS in Path of Building? Even if the gem gives more melee attack speed and magma balls are projectiles, that projectiles launch only when I perform a melee hit, thus melee attack speed should influence projectile dps too in this case.

Molten Strike has very weird DPS calculations; "effective" DPS for it is essentially impossible to calculate given the skill's randomness. Path of Bonking, for example, gives you the DPS of one singular ball fired at your default attack rate, excluding melee-only multipliers even if technically they would apply, such as Vaal'd Multistrike. Why the game is showing no difference, I do not know. The difference would be there, most likely, but the game doesn't calculate Molten Strike well either.

Given how slim the margins are on these things, you'll not likely feel the difference in play in most circumstances. Two MSDs down from the front is not the ideal place to see a difference in damage. I'd use whichever your gut feels would work best, or sell the ones that're most valuable if you're feeling strapped, and simply go with what your heart tells you should be your gem. Performance will likely be mostly the same across all three options for an attack skill support gem like this.
PoB might round for displayed attack / cast time, but it doesn't round for APS and DPS calculations. Ingame tooltips are rounded less precisely and I can't imagine their calculations taking technical restraints like frames into account.

Optionally you could record over a sufficiently long amount of time and try to count the actual srikes. You should have at least 100-200 though, so the difference is visible.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info