Level 21 multistrike support shows no difference compared to level 20.

I have 3 multistrike gems: 20/20, 21/20 and 20/22.

That's how the DPS of my molten strike skill is displayed, depending on which of these support gems I am using:

In the game
20/20: 59054,6
21/20: 59054,6 (no difference)
20/22: 59111,5

In Path of Building
20/20: 113865,5 melee hit and 53042,2 magma ball
21/20: 114530,1 melee hit and 53042,2 magma ball
20/22: 113977,2 melee hit and 53042,2 magma ball

Unlike the game Path of Building shows the difference. I know that 21/20 should be better than 20/22 because "more melee attack speed" that comes from the gem level must be better than "increased melee physical damage" that comes from the gem quality.

So, what should I believe? Is it just a bug and 21/20 is better as it is supposed to be, or should I trust in-game DPS values and use 20/22 gem?

Also, why the Multistrike level does not change magma balls DPS in Path of Building? Even if the gem gives more melee attack speed and magma balls are projectiles, that projectiles launch only when I perform a melee hit, thus melee attack speed should influence projectile dps too in this case.
Last bumped on Sep 28, 2018, 10:10:42 PM
i recommend you selling your lvl 21 multistrike for 1 ex and using a lvl 20 multistrke intead then
"
dvasan wrote:
i recommend you selling your lvl 21 multistrike for 1 ex and using a lvl 20 multistrke intead then

Using bad items instead of good ones does not solve the problem. Level 21 gem should not be the same as level 20 gem when their descriptions differ. And to begin with, it is not clear if it is a visual thing or DPS really is not increased. If it is visual, then I can use the level 21 gem and not care about the mistake in the molten strike skill description, but if it is the latter, then it's the serious bug. I don't know to what extent the molten strike description can be trusted, considering that is doesn't even display magma balls damage.
Last edited by Farg7 on Sep 22, 2018, 11:29:43 AM
forgot to mention if its a spell skill gem you gain big difference in levels but multistrike is an attack skill gem so yea thats why you are not seeing big difference
"
dvasan wrote:
forgot to mention if its a spell skill gem you gain big difference in levels but multistrike is an attack skill gem so yea thats why you are not seeing big difference

The problem is that there is no difference at all which can't be true, so it is a mistake either in the MS description or in damage calculation. If it worked properly level 21 gem would give more than 0,5% extra damage compared to level 20 gem, which is good considering it's low price.
it might be because you already have too much attack speed and 0.10 attacks per second + 1% more attack speed is not enough to make it 0.09 attacks persecond since it would require 5% more attack speed rather than 1% attackspeed to make a difference
"
dvasan wrote:
it might be because you already have too much attack speed and 0.10 attacks per second + 1% more attack speed is not enough to make it 0.09 attacks persecond since it would require 5% more attack speed rather than 1% attackspeed to make a difference

I have 0,12 sec "attack time". But it does not seem that the game rounds down values. Example. I have a jewel that increases attack speed by 5% and has no other DPS mods. Without it, MS DPS is 57328,4 and attack time is 0.12 sec. With it, MS DPS is 58300,1 and attack time is still 0,12 sec. So there is the effect on DPS even if there is no visible difference in attack time.
Last edited by Farg7 on Sep 22, 2018, 7:22:41 PM
"
Farg7 wrote:

But it does not seem that the game rounds down values.

yes the game doesnot round of values, but path of building might.
Bump
Last edited by Farg7 on Apr 6, 2019, 3:05:56 AM
"
dvasan wrote:
"
Farg7 wrote:

But it does not seem that the game rounds down values.

yes the game does not round of values, but path of building might.

depends where your looking, it does round some things up/down to round numbers where appropriate.

Aura's for example are rounded up to whole numbers.

Attacks must also be rounded at some point because it plays into the animations/attack frames. I'm sure at least some players here are familiar with the attack/cast speed breakpoints in D2.

An example from a MMO i play (or used to) attacks were calculated at 50 frames per second, so the attack speed calculations boiled down to reducing frames per second (max aspd 5 frames) and you can't for example have 6.5 frames, its either 6 frames or 7 frames.
Last edited by Asmosis on Sep 27, 2018, 2:06:14 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info