Weighted sum failing to show in listings intermittently

Often when searching for items with a weighted sum, the sum will fail to appear in the search results (and therefore cannot be sorted by). I and a friend did some testing to try to find the trigger and we have some theories, but we're not 100% because it seems convoluted.

Sums appear not to show when:
  • it's the first search (you pressed search or the enter key to pull up results for the first time)
  • there is no minimum for the sum
  • something changed in the search stats
  • you pressed enter in a field to refresh the search instead of the big blue button

Again, we're not 100% sure this is correct, but there seems to be some correlation, and it's definitely happening often enough to be quite aggravating.
Here are some screenshots of similar simple searches, two that failed to show the sum, and one that did:
Fail 1
Fail 2
Success
Last bumped on Oct 11, 2018, 9:32:53 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Sum stat groups currently only work if you supply a overall min and/or max. This is to prevent searches that are too expensive to perform.

The min of 0 in your example will allow values with a 0 sum which won't display any text.

Web DeveloperView our Developer Docs
Last edited by Novynn on Sep 10, 2018, 10:06:39 PM
I can confirm that at least the first search will sometimes not display the weighted sum, if searching for that. A little annoying, but normally just repeating the search will show the sum.

Example search for elemental amulets.
Spoiler

And then searching a 2nd time, same criteria.
Spoiler

"
Novynn wrote:
The min of 0 in your example will allow values with a 0 sum which won't display any text.

Except that it's not consistent with this rule; my success example used a 0 for the minimum too (in fact the ONLY difference between it and Fail 2 is the 0 in the minimum), and there are other cases where the sum won't show...
Last edited by 三日前 on Sep 11, 2018, 6:20:39 AM
Does this only happen for new searches? Or can you reload the page (with the search URL generated) and have the same problem?
"
Does this only happen for new searches? Or can you reload the page (with the search URL generated) and have the same problem?

I cant remember it happening other then the first search. Refreshing the page and redoing the same search both seem to get the sum to show. I have only done limited testing though.
Based on more testing, it appears to be a combination of first search and sum limits; if it is either the first search (with some specific set of terms) OR there is no sum min/max specified, then it appears to fail most of the time. This is not 100% consistent though; there are occasions when swapping or adding a search term will not cause a failure, and I can't rule out other things that might cause it to fail. Refreshing or opening a new window with the same URL seems to fix the first search problem at least in the short term. I'm going to hold on to one of these searches until tomorrow and see if it still works then.

P.S. If there's an internal limit to prevent expensive searches with no sum bounds then it should probably be described somewhere, e.g. a warning message that highlights the appropriate fields in red if a search is attempted without said bounds.
Last edited by 三日前 on Sep 12, 2018, 2:51:51 AM
"
三日前 wrote:
P.S. If there's an internal limit to prevent expensive searches with no sum bounds then it should probably be described somewhere, e.g. a warning message that highlights the appropriate fields in red if a search is attempted without said bounds.

This is a consequence of displaying sum results, since before sum filters were only really important if they actually filtered things. I'll look into removing this restriction!

As for the problem at hand, I think I've tracked down the issue. We'll see in the deploy that is happening late this week / early next week.
Great to hear; I look forward to the fix!

If it helps at all, the search I held on to still works properly from the URL after (clearing all caches and) waiting about a day.
This should be fixed now!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info