[3.5] Stag's Tanky Soulwrest Summoner || All map mods || Shaper down ||

3.5 Betrayal
____________________________________________________________________________________

Not much has changed it's still quite strong. War (not Dread) Banner might help pump out a bit more phys dps and Phase Run got nerfed but not signifigantly. This will still be a fine first or second build for the leauge (depending on soulwrest prices). I will not be running it as a first character as I'm burnt out on the playstyle. I will still be answering any questions you guys have.

Day 2: the soulwrest is expensive.
Day 3: still expensive.
Since a bunch of you are looking for a more budget approach try this
https://pastebin.com/K3FT4jFd
same skill tree same pretty much everything but just summon skeletons. As of writing, to dust is 2 chaos and the dark mage cards are also 2 chaos and falling. This puts this stopover at ~60 chaos for a rather large single target dps. Please stop pointing out the staff is expensive- we know. I'm just saying there are other options with exactly the same skill tree.

I'm going to be rerolling a dancing duo champion using pretty much the same skill tree, it can be played as a necro just as easily and it's probably better - but I'm a delicate snowflake.

Overview
____________________________________________________________________________________

First of all, thank you all for reading and having a go at the build. I am not claiming this to be the be the strongest build, this is just one take on a newer summoner concept (phantasms with Soulwrest). This build is great for both new and old players as it has a fairly straight forward gear progression and a simple play style.

The build scales well with currency and player skill. Learning when to cast, when to weave in/out, and how to properly position yourself and your minions will get you very far.

This build is a fantastic SC league starter as it smoothly and rapidly climbs up map tiers, if you can find/buy a Soulwrest early you'll be set.

The beginning section of this guide will focus around a generic character. I’ll go over what you generally want to be doing and what gear to look for. The later sections will be split into two parts. Elemental and Physical Phantasms. I will cover Physical while Cbaz will cover the elemental variant.

I will stress -- Please do not add/whisper Cbasz or I
We both would like to play the game while we are in game. If you have questions first read the guide, if it isn’t properly explained then look at some of the forum posts. If it still is unanswered, Post it. Cbasz or I will get back to you. If necessary we’ll update the guide.

A guide is just a guide, modify it to suit your play style and gear. Most of all, enjoy!

I sporadically stream the build at https://www.twitch.tv/stagsnetti

Baseline Character

For you POB enthusiasts here is the Baseline (leveling tree’s included. Modify them based on your gear):

https://pastebin.com/URCMaE84

To level, Poet’s Pens>everything else>SRS. Summon raging spirits will get you to your goal safely, it’s just slow. Pick up an early +1/+2 fire gems weapon and go ham. Nycta’s lantern will carry you until Soulwrest (SRS + Minion Damage + Melee Splash). Do not try level with Spectres.

Bandits
I’d go with 2 passive points although there is an argument for either oak or alira. You can always respec out of it later if need be.

Ascendancy choices
Commander of Darkness>Mistress of Sacrifice>Involker
Uber is up to you.

Pantheon
I use the Soul of Lunaris for the [chained projectile avoidance]. As a minion build Chain can absolutely destroy you. Minor pantheon can be anything. I take Garukan for clear speed, Shakai for everything else.

There are several ways you can go from the baseline. I like picking up the Blood Magic keystone for extra life and a nice chunk of health. If you want to have a closer look, import my character Adani.

Do not pick up jewel sockets until you have the jewels to fill them.

Here are some alternate tree’s to think about. (all in the same pastebin)

https://pastebin.com/wcPmHdLb

Elemental Equalibrium

We proc EE using Death Walk (Bubonic Trail auto cast spell). Minions do not trigger EE, only we do. When we death walk each enemy gets +25 fire resistance and -50 cold and lightning resistance. Make sure you do not pick up a jewel with adds # cold/lightning damage to spells.

Lab Enchants
No lab enchants are “broken” for this build, it comes down to personal flavour. Give me a good bone helmet any day. Boot enchants are the only ones that really worth looking at. 2% regen on is nice as is an additional 10% movespeed. Again, it’s just flavour – you don’t need it.

Baseline Character gear

Do note my gem links will be different from the generic setup. I am currently running a physical variant. I will be writing a segment for it this weekend.

To start the build all you need is a Soulwrest, look for a high flat physical roll and if you have the option a high cast speed roll. Nothing else matters in this build. Soulwrest has two properties that are important to us. When you consume a corpse you summon a phantasm and gain 5% regen. One thing to note, if you consume more than one corpse you summon that many phantasms (bone offering can summon up to nine in one go).

Bubonic Trail is a pretty large quality of life buff. It automatically consumes corpses as you walk near them. Automatic summoning and regen, welcome to the easy life. The jewel sockets also add flexibility - you can pick up damage, life, resistances or whatever you’re missing. Look for a one socket Bubonic first then later pick up a second socket.

I’ve copped a little flak for using Careful Planning but I think it is the easiest way to get a tonne of dexterity, it reduces the strain on the rest of your gear. You can pick up one with a good corruption for cheap. I chose silence immunity but corrupting blood immunity is fine too.

Rumi’s Concoction is a fairly cheap flask, since we have fairly high block already it helps out. With an average Rumi, bone offering and the necromancer passive “Mistress of Sacrifice” we already have 64/51 block, and ~300 life gain on block.

Endgame

Spell block good. More spell block is better. Grab yourself an uncorrupted one until you have the cash to buy the corrupted version. If you can't afford either, a rare amulet with high life.

a good elder minion helm will do wonders if you are picking up a spectre and zombies. One socket saved. An Abyss socket is just extra gravy.

Kaom’s heart is a huge life bonus. Mine gives me ~1.8k life.

Essence worm if you’re going BM keystone or if you’ve decided to go MOM. If you’re going the latter route, try out a Cloak of Defiance.

Is a large increase in damage if you choose to go the elemental route.

Great if you can balance your resistances.

All other gear should be filled out with nice rares with high life and resistances.

Baseline Character Gems

Utility

Bone offering Flesh offering
I use bone offering for harder content, flesh for speed farming lower maps. Bone Offering is an amazing defensive bonus. Spirit offering or blood offering are not good in this particular setup.

Phase Run
What differs this build from others is our use of phase run. It’s an additional defensive measure – mobs don’t target you as often. It also allows us to ghost through packs and control where our minions end up.

Desecrate + Spell cascade
this is where we get corpses when there isn’t any available. We desecrate on a boss and use death walk to trigger EE (the corpse will explode dealing fire damage and thereby reducing the enemies cold and lightning resistance)

Convocate
Minions are stupid – get them out of aoe spells or just move them next to a rare. It’s really improved by the instant cast speed introduced this league.

Spectre + Blood Magic
Since we don't really need more damage, a utility spectre or two helps. Pick up a Carnage Chieftain from act 2 and link him to blood magic. The Chieftan has a warcry that gives a frenzy charge to allies in a radius. The Chieftan also has an atrociously low mana pool. Blood Magic (the gem) alleviates this problem (Blood Magic the keystone only effects you). If you opt for a second spectre pick up a Host Chieftain as a partner (it gives power charges instead of frenzy). It is found in act 7.

Delve makes it easy to get a high level Spectre. Grab your Spectre, go to your deepest delve then desecrate until you find the corpse you want. (desecrate has to be of appropriate level, as does the Summon Spectre gem) Spectres are weird and they don't just scale off gem level. The Chieftan's warcries won't suddenly do more, they will just gain a lot of health.

Another thing to note Frenzy and Power charges give different bonuses to minions,

One Frenzy charges gives a minion:
15% attack and cast speed
5% movement speed
4% more damage

One Power charge gives a minion:
200% increased critical strike chance

This bonus is the same for enemy mobs (making power charges or frenzy charges quite dangerous

Aura’s

Hatred + Generosity
Gives the most dps of any aura. Haste doesn’t come close to the amount of raw damage Hatred provides. You can use Vaal Haste if you have a spare gem slot.

Purity of elements
It alleviates your gear requirements, useful in helping early gear progression.

Phantasms

Soulwrest gems
You do not need a five or six link stave. Just having six sockets alone will work, it is the same mechanics as Whispering Ice, Ngamahu’s Flame or Doryani’s Fist. The Phantasm’s projectile spell works like Ethereal Knives: modifiers to projectile speed will increase the range. This is why we take Faster Projectiles for mapping. It allows the phantasms to hit practically off screen.

Faster Projectiles
Greater Multiple Projectiles

Minion Damage
Controlled Destruction
Summon Phantasm on Kill
Physical to Lightning

Summon Phantasm on Kill seems like a strange choice, but it overrides the Soulwrest’s maximum Phantasm count. A lvl twenty gem adds ten more phantasms, lvl twenty one adds 11 more. This is probably an oversight. If it gets patched we can only hope spell echo also gets fixed. Spell echo is currently bugged and doesn’t work.

Originally I thought Cold penetration would be better than Physical to Lightning, but with EE PtL is better. Cold penetration is still fine, you don’t use EE on every mob after all.

This is just the generic clear setup. For bosses Swap GMP for Slower Projectiles. Later on, pick up a second Soulwrest and replace [GMP and Faster Projectiles] with [Faster Casting and Slower Projectiles/elemental focus] in the second staff.

Other gems to consider in your Soulwrest: Brutality (only physical - see bottom), Efficacy (if you're not running Bubonic Trail, duration is nice), Added fire (if you're using a lightning spell for EE), Elemental Proliferation (useful for freeze locking whole mobs - nice when combined with PtL. See elemental guide at the bottom)

Most characters run a cast when damage taken setup. We are extremely link starved and forgo it

Baseline Character Jewels

A big purchase, but worth it. Two near the scion health square give a large boost in health and resistances. They stack on each other. When you pick up one you’ll need to remove Potency of Will and Gravepact. Other jewels, aside from the careful planning are rare. If you are not resistance capped, pick up resistances first. My preferred affix order are:

Life>Flat minion physical damage>Minion cast and attack speed>Block chance>Minion resistance>Minion Life>Flat minion cold/lightning damage

here are some examples

How to Play

Mapping is incredibly simple and similar to an autobomber.
Enter the zone, pop desecrate and your offering to get ~20 phantasms. Then phase run off cooldown while you run through the map. Cast convocation on large packs or tanky rares and run circles on the dead mobs every once in a while to refresh your phantasms. Cast offering if your phantasm count gets below ~10. It’s also a good idea to cast it for strongboxes/shrines/abysses/breaches/anything that keeps you in the same area for longer than a couple seconds.

You can still run elemental reflect maps, you'll just be summoning phantasms with desecrate/offering way more often which will slow you down. If you're not lazy, you could swap phys to lightning out for anything else (faster casting or elemental proliferation come to mind) and run the map a little smoother.

For bosses, weapon swap and summon 20 new phantasms. Desecrate and Flesh/bone offering on top of the boss. Phase run towards him to proc EE. Convocate to get your minions away from any large area of effect skills. Most map bosses will instantly melt.

For longer fights like Shaper or Elder, keep an eye on your phantasm count and keep your offering up. Every ~4 seconds or so, phase run through the boss (if there are no corpses near it, desecrate first). Use Convocate at appropriate times. If there are add phases (like elder portals), you can weapon swap to the Faster Projectile setup to more efficiently clear them.

Video's

Not a perfect run but here's a quick video of a few delves ~220 deep:
you can see how I use phase run and convocation.

https://youtu.be/oSf-RQ9amu8

Vaal Temple (T16 corruption only map)

https://youtu.be/t_NKreIX12U

Blind run of The Grand Architect at 275 depth.

https://youtu.be/rIMl2hOyimI

Shaper Run: I take it pretty slow, but you can see how the build goes. I also suck at shaper. [update: still suck at shaper, 3 down, 0 deaths. 0 flasks.]

https://youtu.be/YzBPG3LHv5c

Physical Variant

When a RF build has less health than you

Hey guys, welcome to the version I’m playing. This style has less overall dps than the elemental version, but is a magnitude tankier. We do not use Grip of the Council or Hatred, so we can swap them for something else. I chose a pair of good gloves with % block chance crafted onto it. You might want to craft minion damage instead. This makes it easier to balance your resistances for wise oak.

If you want to see how my gear is, look at:

Account: Stagsnetti
Character: Adani

Ultimately I think I'd be aiming towards a character like:
https://pastebin.com/5thCffvT

This is probably unrealistic, but it shows what I'm trying to achieve. Good luck!

All resistances balanced for wise oak, 1% chaos res, 73/63 block, and

One of the reasons I like this version is the flexibility and how each part works together smoothly, nothing is out of place. Here are the links I currently use:
Clearing

Single target:

(Minion Speed is what I'm currently testing, swap out for Controlled Destruction)

You have a couple of options with this build path. Your aura could be anything, grace, haste, one of the purities. I’ve chosen purity of elements with a purity watchers eye. This makes us tankier, and res caps our minions – making them tankier too. One of the better option is using Impurity of Ice and grabbing a Taste of Hate.

In my tree I’ve grabbed Blood Magic keystone. I hate dealing with mana, and I like big numbers. If I change my essence worm with any other ring I’ll hit 10k hp, which is a great ego boost hah. Since we are physical we can remove EE, so that is another 5% hp on the elemental version. I have also gone with two minor nodes for my “Uber lab” points. A little more hp for my spec and minions helps a fair bit.

At the moment I’m using a curse on hit setup in my boots. Projectile weakness + Curse on hit socketed into Bubonic Trail gives Death walk the setup. If you don’t like the knockback you can use Vulnerability for damage or Temp chains/enfeeble for defences. If you have a one abyssal socket Bubonic you could also go for a second curse and pick up a +1 curse corrupted amulet. I might test this out later and see how it goes. Again, flexibility.

I am not using an animate guardian nor zombies, I like having phase run up all the time (linked with increased duration) and with the watcher’s eye I am tanky enough vs physical damage. Try not to get a physical taken as lightning watchers eye, it is possible for you to end up being shocked from a large physical hit.

Realistically, I just raged because my guardian died and I don’t want to buy the gear again. You might like a guardian or zombies.

If you pick up three jewels with [+2 chance to block attacks if you were damaged by a hit recently] you’ll end up with 75% block chance. Really strong imo.

Since I have high hp and >0 chaos resistance (thank you watchers eye) Forbidden Taste is an absolutely broken “oh shit” button. You out regen the downside of the flask so there’s no reason not to use it.

This version downs shaper just as easily, but is safer while doing so. I’m currently ~350 deep in the mine and going fine. I’ve also unlocked 155 on my atlas solo, there are no map mods that are a problem. If you run into physical reflect you can still swap Brutality for Added Fire and Controlled Destruction for PtL.

Elemental Variant

The elemental version offers more damage than the physical version, at the cost of some defenses, and is more mechanically demanding due to EE. Also take note that we have less gear slots for resistances, and can't use Purity of Elements, so capping and balancing res for Wise Oak will be more expensive. When clearing each build will largely play the same. However, bossing has a different play style. Elemental Equilibrium is the most important damage boost. On Shaper it can give you ~85% more elemental damage (and is the reason we don’t use added fire in our links). To keep up it up, you need to be running near the boss at least every 4 seconds, in contrast to the physical version that needs to do so every 12 seconds. Finding these narrow windows makes this build riskier yet rewarding.

the play style of weaving in and out is really fun and unique compared to your typical melee or ranged build.

If you want to see what I’m currently testing, or the gear that I use look at

Profile: Cbasz
Character: SoulwrestlerDelve

Here is the PoB of my final goal: https://pastebin.com/biPT4s9f

Gear
On top of the core items, you want to obtain a Grip of the Council
Other than that, budget shopping is a bit easier: abyss jewels with added minion lightning or cold damage are no longer as bad, though Added Phys is still the best option. Added Phys jewels will scale with Hatred, Grip of the Council and Phys to Lightning – ending up with more dps.

Animate Guardian

We go with the very unoriginal classic support guardian setup:

• Dying breath
• Zahndethus Caddock
• Southbound
• Victario’s Flight
• Leer Cast

In Delve, you can invest into better options for your helmet:

Budget: Leer Cast

Non Budget: A rare helmet with -9% cold res / -9% lightning res. To craft this yourself, spam Frigid + Metallic + Prismatic on any helmet base. % life regen is also nice here. Do not worry if you can’t get flat life onto the helmet, the guardian has a lot of base life and another ~50 won’t help much.

The delve helmet affixes make the Animate Guardian the best choice for this gem slot. If you prefer (animate guardian isn't to everybody's taste), or if you're in another league, the best alternative would be a Stone Golem, especially if you possess its increased effect enchant.

Expensive and probably useless: Crown of the Tyrant with a blue socket this is a great item if you do not have EE if you have a blue socket, the lightning aura gives your death walk lightning damage and messes up your EE. Don't splash the cash.

If you’re going into a rippy area you can unsocket AG. This will unsummon the AG, but you won’t lose the gear. To resummon AG just cast it again.

Passive Tree

In my version I’m using the Blood Magic Keystone. This means that I need to use an essence worm for hatred. I think this gives us a good mix of damage and defences. It’s unfortunate we can’t use hatred with generosity but such is life.

Gem Links

This is where physical and elemental diverge.

Helmet:

Blood Magic+Raise Spectre,Animate Guardian,Raise Zombie

These are your support minions. Ideally, you want them in a helmet with the “+# to socketed minion level” and/or “Supported by level # Minion Life” affixes, which will give them more survivability. Minion Life is an Elder Helmet mod.

I recommend waiting until you have both those affixes on your helmet before using animate guardian to guarantee it won’t easily die. AG is fine dying, but it sucks having to buy the gear again.

If you prefer to have an extra abyss socket on your helmet, drop the raise zombie and grab Puppet Master on your ascendancy. I personally prefer the zombies as they a great defensive boost. They provide 6% physical damage reduction to you (and your minions) and are a great meat shield. Furthermore, you can use them with a [Chance to Taunt on Attack] affix on a ghastly jewel, which reduces all damage you and the phantasms take by 10% (the affix doesn't work for spells unfortunately).

Boots:

Bubonic trail is neat in that it’s Death Walk effect counts as a hit when you explode a corpse. This means you’ll be cursing mobs and bosses as you walk over corpses near them. This interaction works like a smaller blasphemy aura that doesn’t require reservation. It’s also useful for knowing if you were in range to apply EE: if you see the curse icon floating over the monster, it more than likely has EE.

Projectile Weakness is the most damaging curse. If you dislike it’s knockback though, you could opt for Elemental Weakness instead.
Curse on Hit + Projectile Weakness

Weapon

Getting two 6 socket soulwrests is the best way to play. It allows you to just weapon swap when arriving at the map bosses, or if the boss has an add phase. You’ll need to summon new minions after a weapon swap to get the effects of the different support gems.

Previously, Stags thought of using Cold Penetration over Physical to Lightning. He was not using EE with that setup. With EE, Physical to Lightning comes out significantly ahead in DPS (and that’s without considering any applied shock). Without EE, you can opt for Cold Penetration or Added Fire if you want to.

I stick with the baseline gems for clearing.

If you’re doing very high level delves and getting hit too often, I recommend trying Elemental Proliferation. Mobs will get frozen from the myriad of projectiles (a freeze which then gets proliferated) resulting in a frozen pack. Faster Projectiles is the best place to swap it in as the added range isn’t as useful in the close quarters of the mines.

For bossing I diverge from the baseline.
My setup:
Summon Phantasm on Kill

Minion Damage

Controlled Destruction

Physical to Lightning

Faster Casting

Elemental Focus

After crunching the numbers, Ele Focus wins out over Slower Projectiles IF you’re using Physical to Lightning. If you’re running a hybrid or your own variation of this build, it’s most likely that the latter does more damage (though you lose out on a lot of minion range which has its own consequences for practical DPS).

If you have still have >60% of your damage as Physical, Slower Projectiles is more damage.

One last thing. If you're looking at attempting uber elder a Scion variant is probably a little better. Something like https://pastebin.com/qYsYjTCU would make the fight better.

Food for thought.
Enjoy!
Stags
Last edited by Stagsnetti on Dec 12, 2018, 4:31:07 AM
Last bumped on Dec 15, 2018, 12:55:05 AM
Reserved
Looks like a cool build. Gonna try it. Only thing i dont rly understand is why you use an Essence Worm. Wouldnt an Unset ring with a lot of Life/Res be better?

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw that we are going Blood Magic :D
Last edited by imperiialm on Sep 10, 2018, 12:17:35 PM
gmp + faster proj + ele focus + controlled des + minion dam + summon phantasm on kill, is what i am using for my gems.

Thinking of going your direction with blood magic, since it seems i do not really need the srs.
I dont think necro is the best class for soulwrest. I think champion with permanent fortify and EE + taunt will do more damage is better in survivability if you stack very high regen.
"
Completed 6 Challengesllxiaxio wrote:
I dont think necro is the best class for soulwrest. I think champion with permanent fortify and EE + taunt will do more damage is better in survivability if you stack very high regen.

hey, for starters they do spell damage, so the taunt doesn't do anything. If you use might of the meek, you can't use EE. If you don't use a second might of the meek you can drop cold pen for added fire and use ball lightning. Fortify for ~ 100% minion damage, i'd prefer the damage but test it out and get back to me :)

I also use phase run so that mobs don't target me as often, Taunt goes against that play style unfortunately.
Last edited by Stagsnetti on Sep 10, 2018, 8:45:47 PM
"
Completed 11 Challengesimperiialm wrote:
Looks like a cool build. Gonna try it. Only thing i dont rly understand is why you use an Essence Worm. Wouldnt an Unset ring with a lot of Life/Res be better?

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw that we are going Blood Magic :D

Yeah the next setup i'm going to test is with no hatred or Grip of the council and using brutality, should easily get over 10k life - hopefully with semi respectable damage.
"
Completed 5 Challengesasolar wrote:
gmp + faster proj + ele focus + controlled des + minion dam + summon phantasm on kill, is what i am using for my gems.

Thinking of going your direction with blood magic, since it seems i do not really need the srs.

i'd opt out of ele focus, if you're not going 3g i'd swap ele focus for added fire. It'd give you more damage in the long run. (i'd only go 3g if you've got a Grip of the council)
Last edited by Stagsnetti on Sep 10, 2018, 9:17:26 PM
"
Completed 9 ChallengesStagsnetti wrote:
"

hey, for starters they do spell damage, so the taunt doesn't do anything. If you use might of the meek, you can't use EE. If you don't use a second might of the meek you can drop cold pen for added fire and use ball lightning. Fortify for ~ 100% minion damage, i'd prefer the damage but test it out and get back to me :)

I also use phase run so that mobs don't target me as often, Taunt goes against that play style unfortunately.

The taunt is more for more regen + 20% increased damage taken by enemies you taunt (this affects your minions also). Your minions also take 10% reduced damage.

The permanent fortify allows you to be able to use lightning warp or flame dash without having to worry about proccing fortify, which allows you to be able to be more agile.

Why do we need might of the meek? also i use EE still with hatred + generosity so that hatred only applies to minions and not to me. This allows me to either use Vitality for more regen or grace w/e i see fit.

Here is a POB of my current build.

https://pastebin.com/y2u2MVt7

I just did a t14 shaped tower map no problem. I pretty much face tanked the boss btw.
Last edited by llxiaxio on Sep 10, 2018, 9:35:23 PM
"
"
Completed 9 ChallengesStagsnetti wrote:
"

The taunt is more for more regen + 20% increased damage taken by enemies you taunt (this affects your minions also). Your minions also take 10% reduced damage.

The permanent fortify allows you to be able to use lightning warp or flame dash without having to worry about proccing fortify, which allows you to be able to be more agile.

Why do we need might of the meek? also i use EE still with hatred + generosity so that hatred only applies to minions and not to me. This allows me to either use Vitality for more regen or grace w/e i see fit.

Here is a POB of my current build.

https://pastebin.com/y2u2MVt7

I just did a t14 shaped tower map no problem. I pretty much face tanked the boss btw.

I use the two might of the meeks to change 2 5% nodes to 10% and 2 to 7% (in the scion health square). I also get more resistance so gearing is easier.

You are also using kaom's roots, which doesn't allow the auto summoner style - try using bubonic trail (they are 1c as of now). I'll write up a jewel section a little later but Minion Speed isn't that important for the way I play.

I would say our builds would have similar damage outputs, and it's a toss up between 70%ish block (necro bone offering) or fortify. I'd also pick up a little duration in your tree, just for Quality of life.

I'll upload another video of a t15 map tonight.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info