Grinding Gear Games is hiring Programmers!

"
Five years of game engine development/graphics/engine experience

Huh, almost looks like they finally intend to fix their game engine.

Maybe they noticed PoE is on the top 50 of games with the highest system/graphics requirements?

Jk, I made it up - but it's not far from the truth:

Steam recommends a GTX 1050 Ti or Radeon RX560.
Minimum is a GTX 650 Ti or Radeon HD 7850.
Player numbers are plummeting.
C++ senior experienced programmers are rare, that are free is even more rare.... but C++ game engine senior experienced free programmers... :) I didn't even know if that exist. Must be one or two, one in Bethesda, the other in Unreal Engine. Maybe there's one more in Unity Engine, and ok, the senior game engine programmer guy of CryEngine is good too. Well I forget, there must be some guys like that in OpenGL team, in NVidia corporation, maybe one or two in Apple and Microsoft. Anyway, there must be ten guys like that all around the world :) I don't speak about "Game programmers" that use Game engine built by them of course.
Last edited by obi36 on Sep 6, 2018, 12:34:43 PM
Good luck! Nice to see you're expanding.

I like the emphasis on modern C++. Your engine got multithreaded, perhaps mention needed affinity (pun intended) with concurrency. I suppose for top-notch stuff lockfree-ness could also be considered, though I'm not sure if that would end up as modern as you'd want. Then again you know what you're doing so these points are probably moot.

Kinda cool. Wish more businesses would use C++. Good C++ isn't scary at all, it's a blessing for control. If I had more experience in the graphics department I'd even consider (sweet dreams).

Hope you find yourself a John Carmack somewhere :-D

Did you try turning it off and on again?
"
kaepae wrote:

I like the emphasis on modern C++. Your engine got multithreaded, perhaps mention needed affinity (pun intended) with concurrency. I suppose for top-notch stuff lockfree-ness could also be considered, though I'm not sure if that would end up as modern as you'd want.

Lockfree adds a lot of cosntraints, a lot of complexity and as long as you don't have absurd numbers of parallel workers, there is no gain. Also it takes a bit more than a bachelor degree to proof that the lockfree-x is actually free of data races
"
UlfgardLeo wrote:
Lockfree adds a lot of cosntraints, a lot of complexity and as long as you don't have absurd numbers of parallel workers, there is no gain. Also it takes a bit more than a bachelor degree to proof that the lockfree-x is actually free of data races

Agree mostly, except the absurd number of parallel workers. There are situations, depending on frequency and type of access where removing locks can have benefits with even 2+ threads (especially with considerations of associated cache (L2/L3 in my situation) hits vs standard lock overhead (the basic signaling/possible stack restoration/etc.)). It also depends how well you can shift unavoidable overhead that comes with lockfreeness to moments of lower work intensity. Or well, that's my experience with it at least (especially with deletes - I basically needed my own (task) cycles to sync my workers to guarantee zero access in areas of memory that get recycled).

Tbh they went lenient with the needed degree, their original staff is full of master degrees.

I'm not an expert at this, just felt like mentioning. And by top-notch I meant for very critical performance areas.

Also lockfree stuff is cool.

edit: and by signaling I mean the possible intervention of the kernel which I guess depends on the implementation of the lock mechanism which I haven't studied enough of so take that with salt or whatever spice - but I know thread switches can be relatively costly)

Did you try turning it off and on again?
Last edited by kaepae on Sep 6, 2018, 3:19:34 PM
And also candidates must be aware that community will check their ability very carefully. :D
Probably they have killed the guy which destroy PoE with the nerfs in 3.x, which result 1 place free.
Just one very disappointed PoE fan.
CI casters made PoE to the top, and GGG decided to kill them.
Best decision ever!
2 x Xeon E5 2695 V4 ( 36 cores/72 threads ) / 128 GB RAM / 2 x GTX 1080 / 3 x Philips 55" displays / 1200W PSU / 4 x 512 GB SSD / 2 x 8 TB HDD
starting salary?
This is not my real account. Only used for forum posts. :P
"
starting salary?

I'd actually like to know too.

C++ developers with the amount of experience described are already employed. This is a fact. They would like to know at least ballpark values to evaluate if switching is worth it.
Last edited by Trilkk on Sep 7, 2018, 7:01:41 AM
My husband qualifies for the senior role xD. But not ready to relocate to yet another country before i have my permanent residency in the UK :P. Good luck though!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info