Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

True meele tanking Merciless Vaal smash?

So I'm making a true meele character (Infernal blow as main skill), who will one day have to be very close range to Merciless Vaal.

Does anyone know how much physical + fire damage the hit is? I was thinking I could get up at least 6 endurance charges by that time, maybe even use immortal call + increased duration for ignoring the physical part of the blow. But perhaps by the time I start casting, it will already be too late?

Edit: I am playing Hardcore so there is more at stake than 15% exp.
Last edited by Mortal321 on Mar 4, 2013, 2:02:54 AM
Pro tip: pop a Quicksilver flask and run out of his smash.

If you really want to tank it, I recommend trying Cruel Vaal first, if you can manage to receive no damage from his smash, you are close to being able to tank Merciless Vaals smash. Going for Immortal Call is a good idea, also make sure you have 80% (or 85% with Purity) resists, and pop a Ruby Flask (+10% to max fire resist). That way you would get hit by only 10% (5% with Purity) of the Fire Damage he deals, effectively reducing a total of 95% (97.5% with Purity) of his smash.
Life is tough... but it is tougher if you're stupid.
Additionally Inner Force with Purity and Fire Flask gives you 103% max res as far as i remember. Plus immortal call it makes you completely immune to vaal smash... but does it worth it?

You can try leap slam hit&run technique. Its not honorous, nor fast but vaal is not designed for melee players doesnt it?
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/73928 <-- [Newbie Friendly] Marauder Melee Build
IGN: NinjaArabStrategist
While not actually being worth it, I see it more as a fun project.
"
You can try leap slam hit&run technique. Its not honorous, nor fast but vaal is not designed for melee players doesnt it?

Wait whaaaaat? "Not honorable"? You are provided with the game as it is, all its skills and items, so why restrict yourself and call some mechanics "not honorable"? It is like people saying going 2v1 in League of Legends is a pu$$y tactic, while it is a team game and you are Supposed to do it. Same principle applies to PoE.
It wasn't serious, dude xD More like joke/irony/sarcasm, I dont really know how to call it.
Who cares about honorous gameplay in HC or even SC?
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/73928 <-- [Newbie Friendly] Marauder Melee Build
IGN: NinjaArabStrategist
ive read somewhere the damage of the smash is at around 6k physical + 6k fire.

IGN: Doenertier // Timezone: GMT+1 (Germany)
"
VenatorPoE wrote:
"

Wait whaaaaat? "Not honorable"? You are provided with the game as it is, all its skills and items, so why restrict yourself and call some mechanics "not honorable"? It is like people saying going 2v1 in League of Legends is a pu$$y tactic, while it is a team game and you are Supposed to do it. Same principle applies to PoE.

While there are tons of things you can do in this game or other games, or even life for that matter, it doesnt make them honorable.

But it would sure be intresting to see someone tank merci vaal without beeing lv90+ and extremly overgeared.
I've tested this on my Default character with 5k HP and very high resistances, and the smash deals around 11000-12000 damage, of which half is physical and another half is fire. With 7 endurance charges and 90% fire resistance it's doing ~4000 damage, so it's very much possible to facetank it even without using a granite if you have a lot of damage reduction from other sources. A melee build should be able to tank it with a granite of Iron Skin (95-100%), 6+ EC, and 80+ fire resistance. Purity, Determination, and Inner Force should also help significantly.
<Tyrfalger> Exactly, the next act is going outside Sarn and into those wheat fields (see the map) to become a farmer. Then we can spend our days endlessly farming. Wait a minute...
my whirling blade 10% +fastercasting is so fast that i blade in vaal when is see arm in air.
You NeVeR StooD a CHanCe
ign:NoObDaMeRRRrE

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info