Make a solo player reduced-connection mode

"
Oblitus wrote:
"
Phaeded wrote:
I don't think GGG's primary concern was DRM. It was cheaters. Map hackers, item dupers, etc. Having most of the hackable events occur server side was a core design principle at the start of POE if I recall correctly. I don't see that changing at all. And if it did then GGG may need to recruit a new player base. I'd certainly be out of here.

Nope, it's DRM. Otherwise, SSF mode would be offline.

That's a ludicrous statement. You're basically saying that if it wasn't DRM they would have completely redesigned the entire game to have an offline SSF mode. That's just silly.

EDIT: You're also assuming that they wouldn't care about cheating in SSF. But there is a ladder so OF COURSE they care about cheating.
POE Serenity Prayer: GGG, grant me the serenity to accept the RNG I cannot change,
the courage to challenge any unbalanced content, and the wisdom to avoid the forums.
Mad: "Oh, it's simple and if you insist... I just think you're a dick. That's all."
QFT: 4TRY4C&4NO
Last edited by Phaeded on Aug 17, 2018, 11:59:21 AM
The new and excellent Grim Dawn has got an offline solo mode, as well the boring Titan Quest. There are pure hash'n slash games with random loot stuff too. That make solo gameplay much more funny and faster (and never disconnections is quite satisfying).
"
obi36 wrote:
The new and excellent Grim Dawn has got an offline solo mode, as well the boring Titan Quest. There are pure hash'n slash games with random loot stuff too. That make solo gameplay much more funny and faster (and never disconnections is quite satisfying).

Those are both offline games with an online component, not the other way around. And its also fairly easy to just do whatever you want with them, create items, change your level etc.

The thing is as soon as you are not online you can manipulate the information as much as you want. Even though Warframe hosts the mission on a PC of one of the players there is no reason to assume that there is no connection to the warframe servers, because if they go down, you still DC, even though you have good connection to the other players in the mission.

An Online game requires you to be online, Warframe does, D3 does and PoE does. Even though they are all technically different, none of them can be played offline and one of the big reasons for all 3 is to prevent any manipulation to the data.
"
Emphasy wrote:

The thing is as soon as you are not online you can manipulate the information as much as you want.

The invert thing is true as well, as soon as your *are* online, you can manipulate the information as much as you want, like making custom TCP messages, things like that... it's not safe at all to play online, and it's much more hard to make it safe.
Then in offline, you cannot manipulate data easily, if they are well crypted. Just some hacker can play with the memory dump, but even so, this can be make safer (and they can play with memory dump in an online game too, just thinking about the so much hacked and bugged Ark game).
Last edited by obi36 on Sep 1, 2018, 12:04:55 PM
"
obi36 wrote:
"
Emphasy wrote:

The thing is as soon as you are not online you can manipulate the information as much as you want.

The invert thing is true as well, as soon as your *are* online, you can manipulate the information as much as you want, like making custom TCP messages, things like that... it's not safe at all to play online, and it's much more hard to make it safe.
Then in offline, you cannot manipulate data easily, if they are well crypted. Just some hacker can play with the memory dump, but even so, this can be make safer (and they can play with memory dump in an online game too, just thinking about the so much hacked and bugged Ark game).
This discussion is going nowhere, because you miss the point how technic is working here.

It is state of the art to put all game relevant calculations on a remote server and use the client only for visualisation and game interaction. This is the most effective way to prevent anyone from messing with the core caluclations done in a game. This is call limiting the attack vectors to communciation and API only, which is much better than having all attack vectors possible on a local client.

Have a nice day and enjoy playing the game.
Let's explore new playstyles - Play it your own way, not just like the others.
Quality management is one of the most underrated success factors in every business...
You must balance the "all on server" vs gameplay, as you forget one big thing : lags. Lags. Damn lags. It freeze all the animations, then continue one second later but this time you are dead, surrounded by monsters that appear during this fatal second.
You know what we are thinking during freeze time ? We think "fuuuuck... hope I will not diiiie.... shhiiiit... ". Then we think "fuuuck I'm dead", basically, specially on hardcore mode (but on softmode too, except we don't have thrown the computer by the window).
It should be ok to have a full server mode for players that play on team, but it's penalizing solo players (and there are numerous, as seen on "SSF BTW" mode).
Anyway, that's just my two cents, and if lot of others games have an offline mode, it must be "state of the art" too somewhere. (just posting after a lag'n death'n XP remove).
Last edited by obi36 on Sep 13, 2018, 2:21:21 PM
"
obi36 wrote:
YAnyway, that's just my two cents, and if lot of others games have an offline mode, it must be "state of the art" too somewhere. (just posting after a lag'n death'n XP remove).

And a lot of other games are different, for many reasons.
I'm glad that GGG does not balance the game around people living in a cave by the way.

PS : Honestly, dont expect anything as such to change, because it's most likely not changing ever.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
obi36 wrote:
Lags. Damn lags. It freeze all the animations, then continue one second later but this time you are dead, surrounded by monsters that appear during this fatal second.

Try running the game in Predictive mode, and you should see far less situations like this.

@Topic: not going to happen, forget about it.
no connection at all. I've always been playing this single-player and I don't want to even have to apply patches automatically. in fact I would easily pay 60 bucks for an offline version of the game with leaguestones and challenges for standard in it.
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info