Why do people get vaccines? Don't they research the ingredients?

Yeah, fuck 'em.

Closet hypochondriac here. Huzzah for anxiety, a strong imagination, and high sensitivity to everything.

Surgeons are an incredible lot. I can't imagine doing what they do, except maybe the brain ones. But pediatric keyhole surgery? Separating conjoined twins? Rebuilding faces? Unreal.

I nearly went with Kuru, but this struck me as weirder:

"
The series on weird psychology opens up with a suggestion kindly provided by Dr Vitelli of the first reported case of a man suffering from both Cotard’s syndrome and lycanthropy. The Iranian authors describe a 32-year-old man admitted to a psychiatric hospital with some unusual delusional beliefs (Nejad & Toofani, 2005). First he believed he was dead, yet immortal (Cotard’s syndrome) and second he thought he was a dog (lycanthropy).

The man explained to doctors the symptoms had begun two years ago but had recently become much worse. While people had been ignoring him for some time, it wasn’t until he felt a strange sensation in his body, like electricity, that he became convinced he was dead. He told doctors he was sure he was dead because his relatives had fed him cyanide yet he wasn’t hurt.

Not only did the man think he was dead, but also that his wife and his three daughters were dead as well. When he noticed that his mouth moved, apparently for no reason, he concluded that both he and his wife were not only dead but had been turned into dogs.

The man also suffered from an olfactory hallucination: he thought his daughter’s urine smelled of sheep’s urine. He thought this indicated his three daughters had been turned into sheep.

The man’s family history is described by the authors as unremarkable, although he was suffering from guilt over a sexual relationship with a sheep in adolescence. He also reports having incestuous feelings towards his daughters.

Attempting to explain this extremely unusual set of delusions, the authors wonder if the transformations can be explained as a way of coping with sexual attraction towards his daughters. He has transformed himself into a dog, the traditional guardian of sheep.

Nejad and Toofani (2005) describe the paradoxical representation of the dog in Persian culture: as both a symbol of loyalty and of impurity. This mirrors the strange coexistence of beliefs in Cotard’s that one is both dead and yet immortal.

Finally, the authors report that two months after treatment with electroshock therapy and antipsychotics, the main signs of illness had been relieved and no antidepressants were required.

"
erdelyii wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Fuck anti-vaxxer parents, man. Just fuck 'em. They're no different to drug-addicted parents or physically abusive ones imo.
Yeah, fuck 'em.
Dudes, I don't like the "I'm not giving my kid MMR, IPV or HepB" anti-vaxxer parents either, but they're nowhere near the same tier of asshole as junkie parents. There's a spectrum for child abuse — it's not all black and white.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Aug 19, 2018, 2:31:10 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
erdelyii wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Fuck anti-vaxxer parents, man. Just fuck 'em. They're no different to drug-addicted parents or physically abusive ones imo.
Yeah, fuck 'em.
Dudes, I don't like the "I'm not giving my kid MMR, IPV or HepB" anti-vaxxer parents either, but they're nowhere near the same tier of asshole as junkie parents. There's a spectrum for child abuse — it's not all black and white.

It's kind of a crap shoot. Let's do a comparison. An otherwise upstanding citizen became addicted to prescribed pain killers then unknowingly became pregnant and their baby was born with respiratory problems and seizures. Now let's say another mother went to some church where they were told not to vaccinate their children for religious reasons. Her child catches some disease and ends up suffering similar health issues. Which is worse? I don't really know but my initial reaction is that the conscious decision to not vaccinate her child might even be worse? I would tend to lump them together though into the same tier of asshole parents though.

Let's do a slightly different comparison. Say we take both of these examples but neither baby turned out harmed. Will that change the conclusion? My parents didn't get me my childhood vaccinations. They were afraid of the ingredients. I was lucky though and didn't get any of those horrible diseases like smallpox or polio. I believe that my parents were stupid and made a poor decision.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
It's an interesting intellectual exercise, but really, I think the antivaxxer parents with the dead or physically damaged child who does contract a preventable disease are going to feel bad enough without us keyboard warriors heaping judgement on them.

I still say fuck 'em, but yeah. If they don't feel guilt and regret for their decision then they are the worst tier of parent, no two ways about it. Not entirely serious, but it feels right.

It certainly fit the american mentality of blaming everyone but yourself
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
True enough. Hm, I don't know anyone whose parents' antivaxx stance caused them (the child) to contract a disease and suffer the consequences. We might have one case example to see what might happen -

So, Turtledove,

"
Turtledove wrote:
My friend that had polio with one short bad leg was relatively lucky. A fellow from the chess club had a horrible hunch back and could barely walk or talk. Perhaps that's why he loved fluid slashing wild attack positions in chess so much? I asked him one day what caused his physical handicap. With physical difficulty he explained his parents didn't get him a polio vaccine when he was little because they were very stupid.

How did his parents feel, and explain it, do you know?

"
Turtledove wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
It's kind of a crap shoot. Let's do a comparison. An otherwise upstanding citizen became addicted to prescribed pain killers then unknowingly became pregnant and their baby was born with respiratory problems and seizures. Now let's say another mother went to some church where they were told not to vaccinate their children for religious reasons. Her child catches some disease and ends up suffering similar health issues. Which is worse? I don't really know but my initial reaction is that the conscious decision to not vaccinate her child might even be worse? I would tend to lump them together though into the same tier of asshole parents though.

Let's do a slightly different comparison. Say we take both of these examples but neither baby turned out harmed. Will that change the conclusion? My parents didn't get me my childhood vaccinations. They were afraid of the ingredients. I was lucky though and didn't get any of those horrible diseases like smallpox or polio. I believe that my parents were stupid and made a poor decision.
The child with the mother addicted to prescription painkillers would be lucky indeed if her mother's abuse and neglect ended there. "Anti-vaxxer" implies deliberate neglect in one — ONE — aspect of proper parenting. Drug addition implies far worse.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
erdelyii wrote:
True enough. Hm, I don't know anyone whose parents' antivaxx stance caused them (the child) to contract a disease and suffer the consequences. We might have one case example to see what might happen -

So, Turtledove,

"
Turtledove wrote:
My friend that had polio with one short bad leg was relatively lucky. A fellow from the chess club had a horrible hunch back and could barely walk or talk. Perhaps that's why he loved fluid slashing wild attack positions in chess so much? I asked him one day what caused his physical handicap. With physical difficulty he explained his parents didn't get him a polio vaccine when he was little because they were very stupid.

How did his parents feel, and explain it, do you know?

I don't know how their parents felt about it. They were both rather upset at their parents. I know that. We were friends from 7th grade to 11th grade (so 13 to 17 years old). I wouldn't have ever asked the parents directly about it because it might have gotten me banned from the house or something. I don't remember if I ever asked my friend that question or not though. It was 50 years ago. I'm an old fart.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
faerwin wrote:
It certainly fit the american mentality of blaming everyone but yourself

No need for that. I know, by extension, some pretty sheltered antivaxxers here in Australia. I bet Canada has a fucktonne too. Ignorance and selfishness is no one nation's trait.

The blame shifting though, is a very american thing.
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
Oh boy, higher left expectancy was the result of:

1) Access to clean food and water
2) Access to Preventive healthcare*
3) Access to information.

why do you guys think polio was wiped out in the US since 1979?

you guessed it...vaccines.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info