How would an auction house be worse exactly?

"
Phrazz wrote:

Without sounding like a douche: Try to pay some attention.

The solution we have now, IS the solution that caters to both play styles. The won't separate the loot tables of SSF and regular leagues. They've said so many times. And an AH WILL force them to lower the drop rates. They've said so.

I don't know what it is about that people don't understand.

And it's not about playing SSF or not. It's about enjoying the game, what the game gives you and the in-game progression. It's not about "hard", it's about enjoyment. I know it's hard for you, that your play style isn't the center of all decisions, but you just have to deal with it. GGG said so; most players do not trade. So why the hell would they destroy the game with an AH, making the experience worse for the majority?

It makes no sense.

Your own arguments make no sense. If most players do not trade, it has no impact on them.

Most do, what GGG means is most dont have stores with constant items for sale.

"They've said so. "

This isnt even an argument. "Why wont they do something?" "Because they said they wont."

Great argument.
"
trixxar wrote:

Your own arguments make no sense. If most players do not trade, it has no impact on them.

Most do, what GGG means is most dont have stores with constant items for sale.

"They've said so. "

This isnt even an argument. "Why wont they do something?" "Because they said they wont."

Great argument.

Oh, I didn't know you were unable to put two and two together.

They won't implement and AH, because it would make the game (read: gear acquirement) easier then they want it to be. IF they would implement an AH, they would be forced to adjust the drop rates to compensate. THAT they've said. It's their argument, or rather explanation of why they won't do it. Why not just implement it, and adjust the drop rates then, you may ask?

Because it would totally screw with the game experience of the majority. And yes, when I used the sentence "do not trade", I did mean what you said - people that don't trade for everything, but looks up PoE trade when they really need an upgrade. These players are the losing part, and would be forced to trade more. And voilla; the game is centered around trade for everyone but SSF players.

There is room for both light traders and heavy traders in PoE. it doesn't have to be black or white. There are several improvements they could do to trade, without implementing an automated AH. But of course, if the sentiment is: "I'm entitled to buy/sell what I want, when I want to, without any form of hassle, time spent or effort", then I'm sorry - it will not happen, and that's a very good thing.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Jun 19, 2018, 5:07:48 PM
Thats very reasonable Phrazz, no arguments here.

The problem comes when trading is no longer optional to progression, which is due to maps being RNG gate to progression.

Going back to D3, there are exactly zero RNG gates, hence you can shut down your AH, and the game isn't impact.

To play PoE, you have to trade (if nothing more than maps). Yes you can make a semantically argument SSF can infinitesimally progress through maps but do we really need to go there? I would argue the atlas is built around trade. Is that a reasonable stipulation?

Thats why the D3 argument fails, and your argument on gear doesn't resonate with the atlas system.
There's a lot of ignorance and misinformation in this thread. They HAVE to worsen drops if an AH is implemented. Otherwise it will be too easy to get the gear you want and you'll get bored sooner.

An AH will 100% make it easier for flippers and people cornering the market. An AH would make the game much worse for almost everyone that trades now. Chris Wilson, David Brevik and Blizzard all understand this perfectly. So all you armchair developers can take a hike.

The only realistic solution is to make SSF permanent and for them to drastically improve drops and crafting for it. That will at least placate the players that have no interest in trading while not ruining the economy and drop rates for the rest of us.
"
FrodoFraggins wrote:
There's a lot of ignorance and misinformation in this thread. They HAVE to worsen drops if an AH is implemented. Otherwise it will be too easy to get the gear you want and you'll get bored sooner.

An AH will 100% make it easier for flippers and people cornering the market. An AH would make the game much worse for almost everyone that trades now. Chris Wilson, David Brevik and Blizzard all understand this perfectly. So all you armchair developers can take a hike.

The only realistic solution is to make SSF permanent and for them to drastically improve drops and crafting for it. That will at least placate the players that have no interest in trading while not ruining the economy and drop rates for the rest of us.

You could make the same arguments for Poe.trade but it hasnt happened.

Ultimately your arguments boil down to unsubstantiated claims based on vastly different games.

I wouldnt be against SSF changes if they redid atlas and found some way for individuals to farm specific drops. Otherwise a good portion of builds are impossible.
"
trixxar wrote:
Chris Wilson saying something means he has an opinion, nothing else.

The immediate and obvious rebuttal is that when Im not playing SSF, 95% of my characters leveling and endgame gear is bought, just through a VERY annoying process. Drops are already meaningless.

Okay ... and you just completely invalidated anything you might possibly say there, I'm kinda baffled as to how to where to go with that.

Your data is anecdotal, subjective. It's functionally irrelevant.
Chris' data is based on actual in-house metric tools built specifically to track player behavior and activity. His data is scientific, objective. He's the guy who built the company up from scratch, who put together the business plan, got investors, made the code, has spent the last ten-odd years of his life making it work and making it viable. And you're some random guy on the internet.

"
trixxar wrote:
D3 also doesn't gate progression on tradeable items.

D3 you can also farm for items more directly (yes some small portion of POE items you can farm div cards for or endgame bosses but 99% are random drops you can't farm)

So ... you're admitting that you have zero knowledge of the history of D3. Right, got it. Thanks.

"
trixxar wrote:
If you couldn't trade in POE, half of the builds would be impossible because they rely on one or two specific unique traits for the build, like damage conversion, charge effects, leech effects, etc. Core mechanics of this game rely on specific items, which is much less true in D3 where items are primarily more or less dps. Rare exceptions

So... what exactly? You're intentionally limiting yourself to the tiny handful of builds the popular streamers use, and think that invalidates all the other potential builds that don't require rare, niche gear? And somehow you think that's relevant to the conversation?

Steelmage: SSF-HC-Incursion. First person to reach 100, that means he beat all 4 leagues, and he did it all without doing any trading at all.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2151570

"
trixxar wrote:
Its an awful comparison.

It's the only relevant comparison. It's the only incidence of a major AAA ARPG title attempting to introduce an AH into their game. It failed.

And you're still the guy who thinks his anecdotal, subjective opinion is somehow more relevant than that of PoE's founder and lead dev, who has access to all the metrics necessary to make an informed decision, and 10+ years managing the game.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
"
Phrazz wrote:
The solution we have now, IS the solution that caters to both play styles. They won't separate the loot tables of SSF and regular leagues. They've said so many times. And an AH WILL force them to lower the drop rates. They've said so.

I don't know what it is about that people don't understand.

Yeah, what Phrazz said.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
It'll make rich more richer I tells ya.

So, no AH at this time.
"
Unquietheart wrote:

Chris' data is based on actual in-house metric tools built specifically to track player behavior and activity. His data is scientific, objective. He's the guy who built the company up from scratch, who put together the business plan, got investors, made the code, has spent the last ten-odd years of his life making it work and making it viable. And you're some random guy on the internet.

Wow, talk about taking fanboi to the next level.

Chris has ZERO data on this because there has never been an AH in poe nor any data released on impacts of poe trade.

Your method or arguing is beyond childish. "You dont know anything (ok?), your data is anecdotal while others have datasets (link to them?), you dont know D3 (but you point out no flaws)". Base level message board trolling.

What, factually, have you added. Ill sum up your argument in a semi coherent fashion;
"Because D3, which functioned very differently, didn't like how the AH impacted the game, it wont work here. Chris knows more than everyone, so every other argument is invalid."

Awesome talking to you.
"
trixxar wrote:

Wow, talk about taking fanboi to the next level.

Chris has ZERO data on this because there has never been an AH in poe nor any data released on impacts of poe trade.

In here your ignorance comes out. Chinese PoE and XBOX PoE have action house this rendering your rant irrelevant.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info