Is this seriously by design?

"
Perq wrote:
I've ran into some of the surrounded by constructs scenarios on T12+ maps. With -4% chaos res (little more while using a flask) and ~6k hp I can survive those.

Yes, they are scary. But shouldn't there be scary things in this game? You can enter the incursion and look around before moving - they will not aggro you until the grace period is over.

If you don't want to try and kill them, just leave and try another map. You get those in every single map.

That said, their range may be a little too long. There is that one invasion vaal construct boi who has the same issue. :V

You can't if they spawn right in front. All you need to do is move one step and 1 million projectiles starts to fuck you over.
Rampage IGN : Cool_Hamster
Standard IGN : Hamsterbaby
Standard IGN : HamsterMfer
Please do not hesitate to contact me in game if you have posted or offered on my items.
Regards
The problem is that there are not enough ways to mitigate this type of damage. I've been on GGG's ass about balancing the different types of defenses for as long as I've played this game and they're too fucking stubborn to do it.

The truth is, you'd be better off running an evasion character (or I guess rather, evasion doesn't matter but you can get a lot of dodge as a green character) in these maps, because your armor and resists do nothing against these chaos spell projectiles. You most likely already stacked as much life as you can get, capped your resists, and have potentially some block, but spell block and even chaos resists are EXTREMELY hard to come by. You either have to dedicate your entire build to spell block, or pay copious amounts of exalts to max your chaos resists (if such a thing is even possible).

A dodge build on the other hand, just gets max life and then takes some dodge nodes, and uses a dodge flask/dodge ascendancy and potentially vaal grace if needed. Evasion won't help you at all against spell projectiles but there is a pantheon for dodging and for avoiding spell hits as well. You can easily cap dodge against these projectiles as a ranger and get some resists and be ok.

To the OP: you aren't a ranger so nothing on your side of the tree mitigates these attacks except spell block. If you aren't spell block, you're pretty screwed.

One thing you could try, even as an armor charater, is getting a dodge flask and running vaal grace + increased duration and getting some extra chaos resist on your gear. That should actually help a lot on its own. Pop vaal grace before going in, then hit your flask as your first action and move quickly to the side - that should keep you nearly topped off against these fuckers.

On a different note, how about GGG get off their ass on balancing the main types of defenses? What good is evasion against a physical spell?
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Jun 14, 2018, 6:45:40 AM
"
Legatus1982 wrote:
[...] in these maps, because your armor and resists do nothing against these chaos spell projectiles. You most likely already stacked as much life as you can get, capped your resists, and have potentially some block, but spell block and even chaos resists are EXTREMELY hard to come by. You either have to dedicate your entire build to spell block, or pay copious amounts of exalts to max your chaos resists (if such a thing is even possible).

A dodge build on the other hand, just gets max life and then takes some dodge nodes, and uses a dodge flask/dodge ascendancy and potentially vaal grace if needed. Evasion won't help you at all against spell projectiles but there is a pantheon for dodging and for avoiding spell hits as well. You can easily cap dodge against these projectiles as a ranger and get some resists and be ok.

Pretty sure this is all chaos resist stuff I'm wearing, one of them is even -chaos res.
I'm a J U G G, so I don't get a lot of spell dodge (the boots enchant is recent, I'm rerolling it). Sure, I get immortal call and endu charge stuff, but pretty sure most characters get some sort of defense.
Don't think these are multi-ex items (as I don't have that much wealth yet).

I can manage to do these. Yes, they are scary at time, but not one-shot scary.

"
chosk80 wrote:
"
Perq wrote:
[...]
If you don't want to try and kill them, just leave and try another map. You get those in every single map.

That said, their range may be a little too long. There is that one invasion vaal construct boi who has the same issue. :V

You can't if they spawn right in front. All you need to do is move one step and 1 million projectiles starts to fuck you over.

You don't move a single step. Grace period lasts until you move. So you don't. Just click character select and you're outta there.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Jun 14, 2018, 7:07:01 AM
"
Oblitus wrote:
"
Get 75% chaos res and you will feel safe in any incursion.

And what should be sacrificed to get it? It is either life (and one hit deaths are already an issue) or damage (and incursion architects are not only tougher than map bosses but also are on a timer). People are dumping chaos res for a reason.

No need to sacrifice. Check this out:
It gives life, damage, chaos res at the same time. Paradigm shift.
retired from forum because of censorship and discrimination
i have +65% chaos res but seems DoT no count this res, many time little enemy one shoot me

now need another one new secret res? poison res? proj res?
Last edited by Jumy on Jun 14, 2018, 8:04:39 AM
"
Jumy wrote:
i have +65% chaos res but seems DoT no count this res, many time little enemy one shoot me

now need another one new secret res? poison res? proj res?

Nope. It's probably a physical projectile then if you're getting one shot. Chaos resist will apply to damage over time as well. Also, how does one get one shot by a DoT anyway?

I'm currently running with just 28% chaos res and I could easily cut some more elemental resistances off for more chaos as I'm 50% or more overcapped on all right now. My gear isn't even that good either yet.

The trick is not to use a dozen uniques in your builds. Rares are way better in 9/10 cases, but this whole idea of "legendaries" from D3 just seems to be etched into people's minds.

Uniques are not legendaries, they are not better than rares in PoE. They offer a unique effect to your build, which in some cases can "enable" a build, sometimes they are massively (offensively) powerful as a result, but they come at a price at the other end of the spectrum. Sacrificing defensive stats that everyone wants/needs. That's how they balance them.

So naturally, if you go overboard on them, you create what many of us would call a "Glass Cannon" which yes... see the above picture.

Working as intended. Instead of complaining about it, I would suggest you put your thinking hats on and wandering right out of that box until you land on an idea that circumvents this issue. They exist!
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
Last edited by Xavathos on Jun 14, 2018, 8:30:07 AM
MAYBE
7,5k es and bypass, i think only at chaos but i have +65% res

now need 10k life 10k es all 4 res capped, CI impossible to play now, need a lot phys reduction, other?

if you reach a good defense build you not reach decent dps for try boss

now i see only few build viable to play, elemental with penetration and self cast, your ability/interaction count nothing and all only with OP skill (the secret), all other make you a noob because again a secret nerfed, tooltip usefull!! skilltre usefull?

need always repeat and repeat again all game, make 3-4 build for each contest and search for good item that probably will never arrive

all a lot of lost time, very fun for a "video-game", class? splatter? strategy? nothing?
MAYBE
Last edited by Jumy on Jun 14, 2018, 9:45:00 AM
from what i can see on the screen shot.

you have 4k life on a melee build, which is very low.
you can clearly see that they are immortal unless you kill the one granting the aura.

Heavy investment in armor only affects physical damage , since you still have 1/1 es they are doing chaos damage.

so yes it is by design to kill someone who is playing a low life character and choose to stand in the middle of a pack of immortal monsters without the proper mitigation or reaction time.
There is a grace period loading in any area, so take a second before moving to avoid getting swarmed.

steps to avoid.

1) change your left click to move or leap slam with the new attack in place selected.
This will help you get away from the center of a pack.
2) look into getting more life on gear or more chaos resistance or both.
3) change from fire golem to stone golem - stone gives life regen and can taunt.
the slight damage increase is not worth much.
4) if you do not have stun immunity get it with koams boots or from the tree.

be mindful that incursions inherit the map mods you are running on.
sometimes this creates a very deadly occurance.

tldr , learn , get good.
j
Last edited by nadakuu on Jun 14, 2018, 10:26:25 AM
"
Jumy wrote:
MAYBE
7,5k es and bypass, i think only at chaos but i have +65% res

now need 10k life 10k es all 4 res capped, CI impossible to play now, need a lot phys reduction, other?

if you reach a good defense build you not reach decent dps for try boss

now i see only few build viable to play, elemental with penetration and self cast, your ability/interaction count nothing and all only with OP skill (the secret), all other make you a noob because again a secret nerfed, tooltip usefull!! skilltre usefull?

need always repeat and repeat again all game, make 3-4 build for each contest and search for good item that probably will never arrive

all a lot of lost time, very fun for a "video-game", class? splatter? strategy? nothing?
MAYBE

Uhh.. if you are asking if you need to defend yourself in this game, yes, you do. In many ways. Resistances, physical mitigation, evasion/dodge, life/ES, flasks, regen, the list goes on. The game is not just a pile of damage stats, who'd have thunk it?

Alternatively, you could simply play by the rules of Ludacris and Get Out the Way.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info