[3.4]♥ Low Life Poet's Volatile Dead ♥ All Content Down + Videos [Occultist]

First things first! It’s always good to see a build in action before you decide if you want to play it or not. Here is a variety of end game bosses and a shaped vault map.
Videos were made with Scion Varient. Occultist has the same damage but is tankier. Inquisitor will kill the bosses quicker but is much more squishy.
Shaper Kill: https://youtu.be/uoAiHt6JncE
Chayula Domain Clear and Kill: https://youtu.be/-bjTac1VxZY
T14 Shaped Vault (Double Beyond + Full Sextants: https://youtu.be/irYrvytfczI
Red Elder Kill: https://youtu.be/_8JonFxK4f0
Hydra Kill: https://youtu.be/rJzwZjt5bwg
Minotaur Kill: https://youtu.be/Ft8wGO-YDFQ
Atziri Bosses: https://youtu.be/OP2KgG8c8Q4
Chimera Kill: Coming Soon!

My Average End Game Gear/Tree: https://pastebin.com/4tVshFZq
This is a program that will show you every think you need to know about the build.
Import the pastebin link above to see my tree, skills and gear.
How to download and import my build into Path of Building
Download path of building here: https://github.com/Openarl/PathOfBuilding/releases/download/v1.4.73/PathOfBuilding-Setup-1.4.73.exe
Install the program
Import build by pasting the link here

This build works by using 2 of the Poet’s Pen wands to cast Volatile Dead (our main damage spell) and Unearth (a spell that creates corpses as Volatile Dead needs corpses to work). The wands cast the spells socketed inside them with a 250ms cooldown. To get maximum casts per second you need to aim for just under 4 attacks per second if you are using 2 spells (Do not go above 4 otherwise it will skip casts). Right now the wands are bugged and will skip casts if you have more than ~3.8 attacks per second so play around with your attack speed and go with what feels good to you. Increased cooldown recovery speed mod on shaper boots and belts can be used to reduce the 250ms cooldown. At the moment I’m using 19% increased cooldown recovery speed and I find that 4.31 attacks per second is where I don’t find the wand skipping casts.

This build has more DPS then the life variants because Pain Attunement gives us 30% more damage when on low life. We also don’t have to travel as much on the tree to get DPS/EHP.

Pros
✓ Insane DPS
✓ Only needs a 4 link
✓ Can do all content (Need to tweak gear for Atziri)
✓ Easy Shaper farmer
✓ Doesn't leave any stragglers
✓ Pretty Tanky with 7-8k ES and many aura choices
✓ Extremely easy to level

Cons
✗ Expensive
✗ No good movement skill
✗ Can’t run Elemental Reflect, No leech and Temporal Chains feels bad

I'm running this build as Occultist because it's easy to get lots of ES, double curse on a 6 link shavs, No nessasary to get chayula ammy/watchers eye/helm enchant (the 3 items the make this build expensive but if you can afford them, get them) and massive ES regen. This build was previously a Scion/Inquisitor.

TLDR: All 3 classes have insane damage but Occultist is tankier so I much prefer it to the Scion and Templar

Order to Take Occultist Ascendancy points
It really doesn't matter.Just get Malediction last

3.4 update: https://imgur.com/a/1WwTgWf

Lv 63 https://bit.ly/2yg4Ljj
Lv 79 https://bit.ly/2LXKnWn
My personal lv 91 Tree: https://bit.ly/2JLvJEP
Lv 96 https://bit.ly/2Mtg0Ia

Bandit Choice:
Alira for Critical Strike Multiplier and the Resistances makes gearing easier.

Pantheon Choices:

Ideal Patheon Powers when running Blood Rage for increased Life Leech rate

This setup can be run of you have a Cast When Damage takenBlood RageImmortal call Setup
Major: Soul of Arakaali
Capture Arachnoxia’s soul for "50% increased Recovery of Life and Energy Shield if you've stopped taking Damage Over Time Recently". This means every time your Immortal Call procs, the Damage over Time from Blood Rage stops and you get 50% increased life leech rate.
Minor: Soul of Ralakesh
Reduces the damage taken from Blood Rage while moving.

Levelling Pantheon Powers
Major: Soul of Lunaris
We take this for the Physical Damage Reduction as we need all we can get with this build.
Make sure you capture Lycius’s soul to help avoid dying from a projectile chaining between you and your Golem.
Minor: Soul of Gruthkul
Again for the Physical Damage Reduction.

All My Gear

Weapon 1:
Poet's Pen

Mandatory For this build as we use the “Trigger the socked skill when you attack” to cast out main dps skill
Aim for 12% attack speed to make capping it easier. Just bless to 15% spell damage.

Volitile DeadConcentrated EffectElemental Focus

Comments: Try to get a 21/20 Volitile Dead, it adds a lot of damage.
Other Options: Replace Elemental Focus with Fire Penetration if you have cold damage on your build so that you can chill/freeze/shatter for a more defensive option.

Weapon 2:
Poet's Pen

Mandatory For this build as we use the “Trigger the socked skill when you attack” to create corpses for our main DPS skill.
Again, aim for 12% attack speed to make capping it easier. And bless to 15% spell damage.

UnearthPower Charge on criticalGreater Multiple Projectiles

Other Options: Replace Power charge on kill with Bodyswap for yellow maps and below. It teleport s you around the map as you attack. This will help you level and do low tier maps fast!

Weapon Swap (Weapon 3&4 For Atziri)

Wand 1: Firestorm - Elemental Focus - Concentrated Effect
Wand 2: Cremation - Unearth - Concentrated Effect
When Levelling Enlightens use a Haku Weapon with 6% increase gem quality:

Chest
Shavronne's Wrappings

Mandatory For this build as it allows you to go low life when you have all your auras on. Bless up to 10% increased spell damage.

FrenzyFaster AttacksGreater Multiple ProjectilesCurse on HitFlammability - Elemental Weakness

Comments: Get quality on Greater Multiple Projectiles and Frenzy if you need to cap your attack speed.

Helmet
Rare ES Helmet

Or
The Vertex

You can run any helm in this slot. The Vertex has high es, and the +1 gems gives me more mana (as it makes my Lv 3 Enighten Lv 4) and gives me more damage/es from my anger/disipline.
Enchant: Volitile Dead Destroys up to 1 additional corpse.
This is a huge DPS boost but a very expensive enchant.

DisiplineEnlightenAngerArctic Armour

Comments: If you have a Vitality leech watchers eye, replace Anger with Vitality. Only Lv 2 Enlighten Needed but 3/4 saves a points on the tree.
Other Options: Arctic Armour can be swapped for Herald of Ice if you want more DPS and corpse shatter for porcupines.

Gloves
Rare ES Gloves

Not much to say here. Fingerless Gloves or Sorcerer gloves work best.
Mod Priority

ES
Attack Speed
Elemental Resistances
Int
Life

Enchant: Do not enchant if you have Fingerless Gloves, “of Spite if you have other gloves”.

Herald of AshBlood MagicEnlightenPurity of Ice[/b]

Comments: I went with Purity of ice to help balance my resistances for my wise oak. This can be replaced with Purity of Lightning, Purity of Fire or any other 35% reservation aura.

Boots

You can run any boots in this slot. I went with Sin Trek because it was an easy way to get High ES with 30% movement speed. Rare shaped sorcerer boots with increased cooldown recovery speed mod would be better.
Other options: Inya’s Epiphany, Skyforth, Rare ES boots, Steppan Eard, Brinerot Whalers (if you need lightning resistance.
Enchant: Damage Penetrates 10% of Enemy Elemental Resistances if you haven't Killed Recently

Cast When Damage Taken (lv 1)Immortal Call (lv 3) - Summon Ice Golem (lv 3/0) - Blood Rage (lv 7/23)

Vaal Clarity (Lv 1)

Comments: Vaal Clarity can replace Summon Ice golem if you have a ES Vaal Clarity Watcher’s Eye.
Summon Ice Golem can be Lv 3 if you want it to auto cast or Lv 20 for self cast.
Other Options: Optional Skill gems include: Summon Lightning Golem, Increased duration (for your Immortal Call), Vortex, Blood Rage.

Amulet
Presence of Chayula

Pretty much BiS for any low life build. This Coverts our 20% of our life to ES, this is the only reason life is on the rare stat priority list.
Other options: Rare amulets with Fire Leech, % increased ES, flat ES and crit multi like the amulet below:

Rings
Opal Ring + Essence of Anger

This is the best way to get DPS from our ring slots as increased fire damage can only roll 22% on rings normally but with a Deafening Essence of Anger, you can roll a maximum of 33%. Opals give us 25% already for a total of 58% x2 rings = 116% increased Fire damage.
Other Options: Well rolled Diamond Rings.
Mod Priotity
ES
Increased Fire damage
Elemental Resistances
Attack speed
Int
Life
Mana

Other options: Gifts From Above

Belt

Shaper Belts that are iLV75 or above can also roll the increased cooldown recovery speed mod so I went with a Chain Belt.
Mod Priority

Cooldown recovery
ES
STR (unless you managed to get some on your other rare pieces as this saves a few points on the tree)
Increased Flask effect Duration
Reduced Flask Charges Used
Elemental Resistances
Life
Armour
**Craft increased movement speed if there is nothing better to craft

Unique Jewels
Watcher's Eye

Mod 1: Fire damage leeched as life while affected by Anger.
The main way we get life leech!
Cheaper option: Damage leached as life while affected by Vitality.
If you can’t afford either, you will have to replace elemental weakness with warlords mark in your frenzy link.
Mod 2: Gain % of mana as energy shield while affected by Vaal Clarity
or
+(20-30) Energy Shield gained for each Enemy Hit while affected by Discipline
Optional mod: Take % of physical damage as fire/cold/ice while affected by purity of fire/cold/ice.
This just helps us out defensively as we are already running the aura.
Note that this is limited to 1 so make sure you get the 2 mods you want on the one jewel and that the values can be divined, not the mods.

Energy From Within

Aim for a 6% one.
Place is this socket

Pure Talent

This gives us base crit by grabbing the Elemental damage at the shadow start.
Rare Jewels
Rare Abyssal Jewels:

Mod Priority
+ES
Added fire damage to spells
Added fire damage to spells while duel wielding
Crit Multi
Increased attack speed if you have crit recently
Added cold/lightning damage to spells
Added cold/lightning damage to spells while duel wielding
Increased damage if you haven’t killed recently

Rare Standard Jewels:

Mod Priority
Increased ES
Crit multi for spells
Crit multi for elemental skills
Crit multi for fire skills
Crit multi while dual weilding
Global Crit multi
Attack speed while dual wielding
Attack speed with wands
Increased fire damage
Increased area damage
Increased damage
Increased attack speed
Increased attack and cast speed

Flasks

Wise Oak

With this flask you need to get your fire, ice and lightning overcapped resist to be the same number.
If you can't balance all your overcapped resistances, at least make sure Fire is the highest.

Atziri’s Promise

Just aim for a 15% ele as chaos roll.

Alchemist’s Basalt Flask of Heat

There is not much Physical damage reduction on this build so I run a basalt.
Can be anti bleed or freeze..
Or
Alchemist’s Sulphur Flask of Heat

Can be anti bleed or freeze.

Experimenter’s Diamond flask of Staunching

Needed to increase your crit chance.
My anti bleed flask. Note that the basalt flaks could be of Staunching and this flask could be of Heat.

Alchemist’s Quicksilver Flask of Adrenaline

My Movement Speed flask
Alchemist of Adrenaline is the best mods for it.
or
Rotgut

This may give you inconstant attack speed

This character was actually one of the easiest characters I’ve ever levelled!
Gear to help with Leveling

Buy some low level abyss jewels with added damage to spells and socket them into the Darkness Enthroned Belt.
You dont even need a Tabula Rasa unless you're leveling with Firestorm/Fire Nova Mine

Pre lv 12: Use pretty much anything. I normally go with Fire Trap + Freeze Pulse
We start using both Poet's Pens from level 12 with Volatile DeadAdded ColdAdded Lightning socketed in one wand and and Unearth - Lesser Multiple Projectiles socketed in the other. Just use your Default Attack to proc the spells.
Other Options if you don't have your Poet's Pens yet
You can level with any of the 3 setups below until Bood Aqueducks in Act 9:
Volatile DeadSpell Cascade and DesecrateSpell Cascade (Volatile Dead + Spell Cascade + Elemental Focus + Fire Penetration + Critical Strike Chance + Concentrated Effect)
Fire Nova Mine and Flame Totem (Fire Nova Mine - Minefield - Elemental Focus - Fire Pen - Increased Critical Strikes - Trap and Mine Damage)
Firestorm and Flame Totem (Firestorm - Spell Echo - Elemental Focus - Controlled Destruction - Fire Penetration - Concentrated Effect / Spell Cascade)

At Lv 16 pickup Frenzy and use that as your main attack. I also pick up Herald of Ice and Herald of Thunder for a bit more DPS
At Lv 18 Pickup Concentrated Effect and Elemental Focus and replace Added Lightning and Added Cold in your wands and that should carry you to maps

What's the minimum gear you need to run this build?
2 Poet's Pens! You can play as life or hybrid and swap to low life when you feel you have enough Energy Shield.

Do I need the helm enchant?
No, but it does help with dps

Do I need the Presence of Chayula and Fire Leech Watchers Eye?
No, Just get yourself a Incursion Fire Leech amulet.

Why ES over Life?
More damage from low life, another flask slot and less traveling on the tree.

How much unreserved mana should I be aiming for?
Anything over 50 mana feels good.

How much attack speed should I be aiming for
With 19% CDR, 4.31 feels good to me. I’m not too sure with other values of CDR, just test by attacking twice at a medium distance and see if your volatile dead casts.

What expensive items should I get first?
Poet’s Pen x2 > Shavronne’s Wrappings > + 1 Helm Enchant > Watcher's Eye > Presence of Chayula.

Can I use other skills in the Poet’s Pens?
Yeah any spell is fine, Just spec out of the fire damage on the tree and you can use any other elemental spell.

How good is this build after the helm enchant nerf?
It is still the BiS enchant as it adds 4 balls from 3 for each cast. Probably the strongest helm enchant in the game at the moment.

Why don't you use Bodyswap in your Poet's Pen?
I don't like it but feel free to use it.

How can I kill Atziri without dying to reflect?
Run 2 Poet's Pens in a weapon swap or swap before the fight.
Cremation is insane for stationary targets. Second best option would probably be firestorm. So the links would be:
Wand 1: Firestorm - Elemental Focus - Concentrated Effect
Wand 2: Unearth - Cremation - Concentrated Effect

Is this Hardcore Viable?
Yes!

Changelog
14/06/2018 - Rewrote the build for 3.3
12/01/2018 - Added Vault and Hydra Videos
13/01/2018 - Added perfect gear section into FAQ
16/01/18 - Updated tho whole guide. Assassin/Pathfinder seems to be the best option
18/01/2018 - Added Red Elder/Chayula kill video
23/01/2018 - Atziri vid up

Thank you for reading!

-Illyaink

Last edited by illyaink on Sep 12, 2018, 7:47:50 AM
Last bumped on Aug 29, 2019, 9:22:22 PM
Reserved
hi
what do you do on "the pantheon"? ( sin )
hi
hi
HI, your build so nice, but your passive tree not working. The first is okay but the rest does not work. Correct this as soon as possible, I want to play it.
Yes, please update your skill trees.
Liked the templar version but now going for occultist since the ES seems so nice.
Also I am struggling a bit with survivability from freezing and stuns when running templar.

EDIT: I just saw you are running it this season too.
For the others, here is his current skilltree: https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/3.3.0/AAAABAMBAQVCBx4Jqg5ID8QRDxEvEVARlhV-FkAXLxhdGoEbJR0UHU8fGCepKU8qCysKLJwtHzW5Ow07fDwFQZZCeklRSbFLrkyzUDBRdFH7VdZXlFxrXfJfamTnZlRmnm0ZcFJ6cHvXfPB-WX_GgKSCm4RIhXuFfYnTi4yMNox2jmSPRo_6kQeSdJMnlPGVIJUumjuboZ48n9-hL6KjppmnK6yYrfGus7Q4tvq3MbjKuZO7_L6KwGbAmsHzwwnDbcb3zRbQH9DQ0PXVptfP2VvZ_Nte34rlGekC6_XsOO9874jv6_DV8h33pvfX-Jf5N_nd-tL79Q==?accountName=illyaink&characterName=Illyaink
Last edited by Antetype on Jun 14, 2018, 4:20:43 PM
Hello how much Avg.Dmg you have on Volatile Dead?
I really love this build, never had so much fun in this game. Just killed shaper today. First try and dropped a Dying Sun haha. Make more awesome builds like this mate, the dps is fucking insane. Killing T14 and 15 bosses insantly is such a joke lul.

Last edited by NameMerken on Jun 15, 2018, 1:34:55 PM
"
Antetype wrote:
Yes, please update your skill trees.
Liked the templar version but now going for occultist since the ES seems so nice.
Also I am struggling a bit with survivability from freezing and stuns when running templar.

EDIT: I just saw you are running it this season too.
For the others, here is his current skilltree: https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/3.3.0/AAAABAMBAQVCBx4Jqg5ID8QRDxEvEVARlhV-FkAXLxhdGoEbJR0UHU8fGCepKU8qCysKLJwtHzW5Ow07fDwFQZZCeklRSbFLrkyzUDBRdFH7VdZXlFxrXfJfamTnZlRmnm0ZcFJ6cHvXfPB-WX_GgKSCm4RIhXuFfYnTi4yMNox2jmSPRo_6kQeSdJMnlPGVIJUumjuboZ48n9-hL6KjppmnK6yYrfGus7Q4tvq3MbjKuZO7_L6KwGbAmsHzwwnDbcb3zRbQH9DQ0PXVptfP2VvZ_Nte34rlGekC6_XsOO9874jv6_DV8h33pvfX-Jf5N_nd-tL79Q==?accountName=illyaink&characterName=Illyaink

Sorry about that, no idea why PoB is making dead links. I have updated the thread.
Last edited by illyaink on Jun 16, 2018, 6:50:08 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info