How will GGG make money now much of the good will has gone?

"
siden1 wrote:
Most people only spent money on the game to recognise GGG's efforts as an indi developer who made a fantastic game.

Source?

Maybe back in open/closed beta. I think nowadays it's the vast minority that buys packs purely to support the development team. Why do you think they have moved away from high value packs to the 30&60$ ones?
"Fixing the endgame was hard - No matter how hard we buffed red maps, people would keep spamming Gorges.
So we turned Gorge into a red map"
They don't care about "good will" anymore. They only care about pleasing their corporate masters well enough to keep the money flowing.
I will be honest, I am one of those people who bought packs for shiny MTX. It was not reasonable, but it pleased me so why not. I have spent more money than I would consider sensible on this game by my standards.

BUT. These always felt overpriced, and I always felt a little guilty for buying them. However, one of the factors that made me convince myself it's not too bad and allowed me to give in to my vanity was the fact that GGG was an independent company, not owned by some souless megacorp like EA or Activision, who can go and eff off for all their "accomplishments" in the gaming industry.

Now this factor is gone, and nothing can tip the scales over again. I wanted to wait for the packs that would replace the War for the Atlas ones. Good thing I did.

Now, I am not going to say that you shouldn't buy mtx or support packs. I just wanted to state my opinion and reasoning one the matter. You are free to keep spending money, it's your wallet after all. But I won't.

What worries me is that, unlike other companies bought by Tencent, GGG is not some crazy money maker like fortnite. Sure, it has a sizeable audience, but nothing too impressive by the video game industry standards. And it also used a rather unique revenue generating system, which I don't think is going to work anymore. And the moment it stops working, Chris would have to hastily invent a new one under the pressure of his new overlords... But time will tell.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info