How will GGG make money now much of the good will has gone?

Most people only spent money on the game to recognise GGG's efforts as an indi developer who made a fantastic game. That reason has now completely disappeared, so I'm curious how a good will based funding model will now work in an environment with greatly reduced levels of good will from player to gaming company?

I actually believe GGG are intending to minimise Tencent's influence, but GGG is no longer what is was, the small guy we all wanted to get behind. I can see them having no choice but to introduce other ways to extract $$ from the playerbase now the level of supporter packs and MTX transactions will almost certainly collapse.

I'm not going to stop playing but I have lost a little love (and trust) for the game due to this.

How do you see it playing out?
Last bumped on May 21, 2018, 6:26:53 PM
"
siden1 wrote:
I actually believe GGG are intending to minimise Tencent's influence

How does selling 80% of their shares lead into them intending to minimize Tencent's influence? I'm honestly curious how this trail of thought came to be.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
...Mostly with people succumbing to their addiction to PoE, need for stash tabs and delight in collecting mtxes.

For a while, anyway.

This whole thing wouldn't be a big deal if GGG wasn't founded on such a strong moral, independent basis. If that wasn't what we supported and continued to support. People like to liken this to the LoL acquisition and how that didn't change LoL. True, because LoL's financial model wasn't based around player goodwill but around the need to have all those champions. LoL is, by GGG standards, pay to win, and always has been.

Tencent represent so many of the things we supported GGG for not being, and it now owns GGG.

Sooner or later, that's going to have repercussions.

Do you think that decision can be a good thing in a long run? Good thing for us, players, so we still get good old Path of Exile as we know it today?
"
鬼殺し wrote:

This whole thing wouldn't be a big deal if GGG wasn't founded on such a strong moral, independent basis. If that wasn't what we supported and continued to support. People like to liken this to the LoL acquisition and how that didn't change LoL. True, because LoL's financial model wasn't based around player goodwill but around the need to have all those champions. LoL is, by GGG standards, pay to win, and always has been.

Agreed 100%. Hit the nail on the head!
"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym
"
鬼殺し wrote:
True, because LoL's financial model wasn't based around player goodwill but around the need to have all those champions. LoL is, by GGG standards, pay to win, and always has been.

Tencent represent so many of the things we supported GGG for not being, and it now owns GGG.

Sooner or later, that's going to have repercussions.

Oh yeah, that is why we have a thread on the front page right now about "Voting with wallets" has tons of users who just COULDN'T STOP THEIR GOODWILL and bought the packs already. They just like GGG so much that they just wanted to do good to them as soon as they could! Damn, what a noble community we have!
Uploaded an awesome Exsanguinate Freeze Explosion build on the forums - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3508506
Guys relax nothing will change except for the bobs on my HO statues being censored and a HH art change
People will still buy MTX because they want to look different, people will still buy stash tabs because they need more space, not everyone supported just because of the struggling indie developer angle. I feel people vastly overestimate just how many people are that concerned with where their money ends up.
"
siden1 wrote:
Most people only spent money on the game to recognise GGG's efforts as an indi developer who made a fantastic game. That reason has now completely disappeared, so I'm curious how a good will based funding model will now work in an environment with greatly reduced levels of good will from player to gaming company?

I actually believe GGG are intending to minimise Tencent's influence, but GGG is no longer what is was, the small guy we all wanted to get behind. I can see them having no choice but to introduce other ways to extract $$ from the playerbase now the level of supporter packs and MTX transactions will almost certainly collapse.

I'm not going to stop playing but I have lost a little love (and trust) for the game due to this.

How do you see it playing out?

When GGG introduced the XBox version of game, from what I recall, there were more anti-XBox threads than threads for this "investment" announcement, so I expect they won't have much problems.
China numba wan prepare to pay for spring roll mtx flasks and new maraketh expansion after incursion ends /s

1337 21gn17ur3
"
China numba wan prepare to pay for spring roll mtx flasks and new maraketh expansion after incursion ends /s

Spring roll spectral throw THE DREAM

TAKE MY DE NIROS
Last edited by PicsTimesThree on May 21, 2018, 6:31:09 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info