Remember when ES was useful?

"
sidtherat wrote:
sad
there was a 2min uber elder HOWA build on reddit few days ago. good players know how to make this stuff work. it is no longer noob-friendly autoplay pick

You are really a noob lol
Only a dumbass pays for a F2P game.
Last edited by noheal on Apr 26, 2018, 1:51:51 PM
"
nadakuu wrote:
"
Scarletsword wrote:
Can we keep this mindset alive, please?

I really enjoy getting insane rares nearly for free because people still build their ES characters the same way and without any proper defenses.

In all seriousness ES is fine. It's just not suited for every skill gem or ascendancy but has defenses and interactions that life does not have(regen while being specced into Vaal pact/ES recovery after less than 1 second/Incandesent Heart/...).
They even made ES more budget friendly since it's really easy to craft decent ES items.

soo in your mindset , it is ok for one playstyle to be completely irrelavent to most useful skills in the game ?

The es regen is useless , you can't count on it for sustain as one tiny hit will remove it.
To get regen in less than a second you are looking at an insanely expensive jewel, along with traveling through poor nodes to get some more faster, + needing 3 mods on a ring (faster regen,flat es, int) now as an es char.

Compare that to life which doesnt require you to jump through all the hoops and can accomplish much better sustain with just a potion.

es is not in a good spot, and the people posting it is fine are playing either a very niche range build , but mostly rolling life characters. The game would be better with more diversity then less, which requires a revisit to ES.

It's not irrelevant for a lot of skills and setups.

- Crit wanders and bows (Occultist, Pathfinder)
- Caustic Arrow and chaos degen (Occultist, Trickster)
- A lot of spell casters (Occultist, Elementalist, Trickster, Guardian)
- Crit mines (Saboteur, Ascendant)
- WI/HoWA (everything is viable, even CI-Jugg)
- Melee and spell totems (Hierophant)
- Summoners (Necro, Elementalist)
- Aura or curse support (Occultist, Guardian)

ES recharge:
That's why you'd play Trickster with high dodge and evasion or Occultist with Wicked Ward when relying on ES recharge. These rings aren't hard to get either. You can buy T2/T3 int, T2/T3 flatES, some suffixes for 1-5c in Bestiary and faster recharge start is a lvl3 mastercraft.
The Watcher's Eye Discipline roll is one of the cheapest mods on a Watcher's Eye(~60c) but not needed. The recharge nodes on the tree are as close to CI as it gets.

Just one prefix on both rings with a mastercraft, 4nodes and Occultist and you're already at 1.3 seconds.
Watcher's Eye pushes it below 1 second, Soul Strike (works for bow attacks, caustic arrow and degen spells/auras) pushes it to nearly 0.8 seconds and you're at 0.7 seconds with both items.

"
JOHN_RA wrote:

Not convenient.

This is probably the main issue. ES, mainly CI is similar to far back in the day. It's not something you just slap on, press 1-2-3-4-5 and be done. That's why Jugg is so popular.
"
noheal wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:
sad
there was a 2min uber elder HOWA build on reddit few days ago. good players know how to make this stuff work. it is no longer noob-friendly autoplay pick

You are really a noob lol

He does try to act high and mighty thinking he knows what's best for the game when in reality he hasn't really done much.
Toss a ccin to your WITCHER?
"
Scarletsword wrote:

It's not irrelevant for a lot of skills and setups.

- Crit wanders and bows (Occultist, Pathfinder)
- Caustic Arrow and chaos degen (Occultist, Trickster)
- A lot of spell casters (Occultist, Elementalist, Trickster, Guardian)
- Crit mines (Saboteur, Ascendant)
- WI/HoWA (everything is viable, even CI-Jugg)
- Melee and spell totems (Hierophant)
- Summoners (Necro, Elementalist)
- Aura or curse support (Occultist, Guardian)

ES recharge:
That's why you'd play Trickster with high dodge and evasion or Occultist with Wicked Ward when relying on ES recharge. These rings aren't hard to get either. You can buy T2/T3 int, T2/T3 flatES, some suffixes for 1-5c in Bestiary and faster recharge start is a lvl3 mastercraft.
The Watcher's Eye Discipline roll is one of the cheapest mods on a Watcher's Eye(~60c) but not needed. The recharge nodes on the tree are as close to CI as it gets.

Just one prefix on both rings with a mastercraft, 4nodes and Occultist and you're already at 1.3 seconds.
Watcher's Eye pushes it below 1 second, Soul Strike (works for bow attacks, caustic arrow and degen spells/auras) pushes it to nearly 0.8 seconds and you're at 0.7 seconds with both items.

even with 70% dodge on an es trickster - Tried it - just doing straight regen on the templar was better. You could not easily get regen to start without stopping for the 1-2 seconds with no dmg taken. In theory it will work, in practice not at all as even 1 dmg stops it. There needs to be a threshold to fix this mechanic.

the craft is 2c + scour per try, to get upper 17-20 is about 15 tries on average for me.
The occultist looks nice , but is just weaker then the trickster when it comes to higher tier maps.
Occultist needs to get the kill to get regen, so she becomes even worse in parties.
Overall i had more es on trickster then occultist.

congrats on listing a few cherry picked builds that can work. they are still just stronger as life.
Guardians stack life and mana to get es, so lets not lump them into this discussion to say they exist so es is fine. they were the problem, that was never addressed causing the huge outcry and bad bandaid patch they did.

ITT: whining from a lot of people who only ever touch the "flavor of the month" stuff, and still salty because going CI+GR+VP is no longer an option available that overwhelmed things to the point of where >2/3 of all builds used it. (in spite of there being over a dozen defense-type setups, it was THAT over-used)

I mean, let's face it: pre-3.0, going CI+GR+VP meant you could invest all into offense, yet still have 10k+ ES easy without spending more than a few exalts, and you'd never die to anything, because you'd instaleech every damage tick the very moment it occurred. It required no skill, and barely any investment. (less than 10 ex = barely when we're talking about farming multi-ex uniques from Shaper, etc.)

ES was so painfully broken; it was literally "life, but better in every way," because it required easier to get gear, and less passive investment. Armour was seen as a joke, and evasion was just considered a "poor-man's" choice.

All GGG did was bring it down. Because most players are a bunch of trend-following lemmings, of course this meant they all abandoned it: they'll flee anything that gets nerfed (no matter how softly) and won't return until Mathil, etc. stream a build of it.

Even minus that, as I recall on my last check of pathofstats before it disappeared a week ago, ES still made up a VERY healthy portion of the endgame playerbase; those builds are VERY easy to track, since I just counted up the percentage of users of "Chaos Innoculation" and "Pain Attunement;" as I recall the number did come up to around a combined 30.0%, which means the use of ES is actually pretty close to where it should be. (since ideally, the players should be split about 1/3 equally between armour, ES, and evasion)

And in truth, Low-life hardly got hit at all; my LL Guardian lost... I think like 300-400 ES (out of his >11k) in the nerfs, and wouldn't have lost much more even if he DID give up the (barely) legacy items he DID have?

My Occultist took a hit, but especially after the buff to her, she actually now has MORE ES than she did pre-3.0, and I still haven't re-geared her now that she no longer needs either Chayula's or Skyforth.

ES is doing great, just we will always have a bunch of players who were used to an easy auto-win button, and upset because the button was taken away. To them, I really only have one classic phrase to say:

"Git Gud."

"
nadakuu wrote:
congrats on listing a few cherry picked builds that can work.

Um, is not the "meta" always center around a tiny number of builds that are, in effect, "cherry-picked" by your definition?

They named crit wanders and bows, which make up a HUGE portion of the endgame currently.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
"
nadakuu wrote:

the craft is 2c + scour per try, to get upper 17-20 is about 15 tries on average for me.

11 possible rolls with the same chance. You're fine with 4 of those rolls. The actual average is 1:2.75.

"
nadakuu wrote:

congrats on listing a few cherry picked builds that can work.

Every single basic bow attack build, every single chaos degen build including things like Death's Oath, nearly every single spell from freezing pulse with CtF to Autobomber, crit based miners which include nearly every single spell again, even arc mines and this is only half the stuff I listed. How is this cherry picked?

"
nadakuu wrote:

Guardians stack life and mana to get es, so lets not lump them into this discussion to say they exist so es is fine.

Except when they do stack stats instead of life, use the interaction between Memory Vault, Shaper's Touch and Doon Cuebiyari and end up with 17k ES, 50k armour and 82 or more ele res.
Presence of Chayula isn't the only option for Guardians.

Here's a PoB from a HCBestiary character:
https://pastebin.com/LBnmUsxg
Last edited by Scarletsword on Apr 26, 2018, 5:21:38 PM
Every single basic bow build is better as life, looking at the first 2 pages of the ranger forum I see 2 ci builds (a 500es ci tank, and demigod life or ci both niche as hell). To say that is a niche life pool for bow builds is 100% accurate.
Ci just needs some character not this one note passive. Add 10% more es behind it or do something more creative but ggg should do something.
Last edited by Fhark on Apr 26, 2018, 5:42:31 PM
Why should they? So ascendancies like guardian and occultist become broken and as popular as jugg is now?
"
Fhark wrote:
Every single basic bow build is better as life, looking at the first 2 pages of the ranger forum I see 2 ci builds (a 500es ci tank, and demigod life or ci both niche as hell). To say that is a niche life pool for bow builds is 100% accurate.
Ci just needs some character not this one note passive. Add 10% more es behind it or do something more creative but ggg should do something.

Life, CI, hybrid and LL have different strengths. They're better for different things and have different options because different players have different playstyles. Not everyone copies forum guides.

Checking the forum for builds isn't that good of an idea since it only contains either build guides which most build creators don't bother with or showcases with mirrored tier gear.
Try using poe.ninja to see what's actually being played instead. It lists most builds with a few exceptions like private profiles.

Random examples:

http://poe.ninja/challenge/builds/char/ZwikHD/Elsaw?i=46&search=minlevel%3D96%26sort%3Dlife%26sort-asc

CI Elementalist, Poet's Pen with GC and phys > cold > some chaos conversion but Frenzy actually deals damage.

http://poe.ninja/challenge/builds/char/LetSRockW/BlitzingThru?i=3&search=item%3DSoul-Strike%26keystone%3DChaos-Inoculation

CI Trickster, Windripper and Queen of the Forest for Escape Artist.

http://poe.ninja/challenge/builds/char/Gryphenprey/TowerOfEternalFlame?i=25&search=class%3DAscendant%26keystone%3DChaos-Inoculation%26sort%3Dlife%26sort-asc

Hybrid Ascendant, SR cwc Firestorm with strength stacking.

http://poe.ninja/challenge/builds/char/Dodipoe/Nomicbot?i=16&search=class%3DOccultist%26item%3DShavronnes-Wrappings%26minlevel%3D97%26sort%3Denergy-shield

LL Occultist, HoWA wander with Crown of Eyes.

Your not proving its not niche your showing me some builds, some seem like good builds but there niche. And for example ur qotf trickster has 3450es presuming poe.ninja is accurate, thats terrible.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info