Requesting more pronounced damage over time visual effects

I'd like to ask for the option to have a more pronounced visual effect when a player is taking damage over time.

In the heat of action, it is extremely difficult to pay attention to either the bottom left of the screen or the tiny health bar (if enabled) at all times. The health orb doesn't really contrast either and is difficult to notice with peripheral vision alone (but IMO, the colour is fine despite the lack of contrast).

In the case of say, a first person shooter, taking damage usually causes the screen edges to turn red as an example.

Based on this example, I'd like to ask if a similar visual effect for each damage type can be implemented: dark red for bleeds, orange for burns, and green for chaos (perhaps purple for a spell such as essence drain?).

I am only suggesting that this be made into an option, not a feature that's "always on" and unable to be switched off. Transparency should also be customizable; some players need to be able to see the very edges of the screen clearly for threats.
Always looking for quality of life fixes/changes
Last edited by yammawave on Jun 21, 2018, 9:55:54 PM
Last bumped on Jul 12, 2018, 10:41:45 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Please do this GGG!
Online delenda est:
When the lifecycle of PoE will draw to an end many years from now,
there needs to be a final patch making it available offline.
I think if anything, the health globe (and maybe mana globe for MoM users) should have effects depending on the type of DoT, as you said. Maybe whitish bubbles for bleeding (or burning), green health globe for poison, and icicles on the left side of it for cold damage over time (a la Vortex, the new Cold Snap DoT coming soon, Hopeshredder). Something subtle but noticable enough that you can kinda see it out of the corner of your vision. The visual effect on the globe can be queued based on whatever type of DoT is dealing the most damage.
Lavender or Leave.
PvPresident, 2016
//
You'd better run.
“EA is fine” -relith
"
I think if anything, the health globe (and maybe mana globe for MoM users) should have effects depending on the type of DoT, as you said. Maybe whitish bubbles for bleeding (or burning), green health globe for poison, and icicles on the left side of it for cold damage over time (a la Vortex, the new Cold Snap DoT coming soon, Hopeshredder). Something subtle but noticable enough that you can kinda see it out of the corner of your vision. The visual effect on the globe can be queued based on whatever type of DoT is dealing the most damage.

On widescreen (16:9 or even more) monitors the globe is in the peripheral vision and is almost completely irrelevant in gameplay.

The best solution would be (in my opinion) something in the shoes of Borderlands 2 / Torchlight 2 / GuildWars 2 - colored DoT numbers/symbols spraying over the character's head.
You can't get better visibility than that.
I like this idea, i have had alot of close calls by taking some dumbass degen while i wasn't aware. The amount of degen/dot damage you run into is staggering, more so than any other game i know of.
Last edited by DumpsterDiver on Apr 21, 2018, 11:58:41 PM
I like this idea. I remember back from the CS days, that full screen dmg indication helps a lot when avoiding something or performing some quick counter action, like flask press.

Sure, it would have to be quite settle to avoid seizures in the player base. (so probably optional UI setting perhaps?)

I am not sure how difficult it would be to implement as this would be basically in the buff layer which is above the other content.

pretty please!
I represent only myself, my own thought and believes. I am individual, not a representative of the community.
I am not speaking on behalf of someone else and I don't get offended by things that have nothing to do with me.

3.13 was the golden age.
I like the idea.
However, by being better informed, the game would thus become easier and "we" cannot let that happen. Many forum warriors will keep telling you that.

Still keeping that "incoming damage structure in past 30s" dynamical "cake graph" dream close to my chest. After so many years, foolish me.
+1

Awesome suggestions(health globe one would be more "original", since screen effects happen in many games).

It would a be welcome addition.

Please GGG, consider implementing this to the game.
Last edited by Gordyne on May 2, 2018, 3:45:54 PM
I'm agreed that some kind of change like this would be helpful and appreciated.

+1 to various ideas given in this thread.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
doesn't matter the solution, we can all agree that the visual effects for DoT damage are not obvious enough and some form of change is required.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info